PDA

View Full Version : left handed scissors

Polly2
13-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Does anyone have and recommendations as to the best place to get left handed scissors?

I also need a few right and left handed child scissors

Any ideas guys?

Carpet Monkeys
13-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Have you tried Early Learning Centre

Twinkles
13-10-2010, 11:11 AM
Here's a good site.
http://www.anythinglefthanded.co.uk/acatalog/childrens_products.html

However, my son is left handed and when he was young I made the decision not to buy special equipment for him. I prefer that he learnt to cope in what is essentially a right handed world.
Now at 21 he says it was the right decision.

Not to say that will be right for everyone.

Mouse
13-10-2010, 11:15 AM
I bought some from WHSmiths.

What about Ebay or sites liked SBS Educational?

http://www.sbs-educational.co.uk/arts-crafts/scissors-and-punches/school-scissors/?ev=search

sweets
13-10-2010, 11:42 AM
tihnk tesco do them. but to be honest i wouldnt bother,

i am left handed and have always used right handed equiptment, yes left handed scissors may be easier for your child to learn to use but its a right handed world and left handed things aren't always available so they will then have to learn to adapt to 'normal' things.

mummyof3
13-10-2010, 12:09 PM
I am left handed and so is my hubs and my two sons as well. Only our daughter is right handed :laughing:

I use right handed everything as I've always been taught this way as I was the only lefty in a right dominated household. I find it much easier tbh I only write left handed now I am right dominated but left handed for writing. Hubs say I am a freak :laughing: Hubs is completely left dominant and he struggles with EVERYTHING and moans about EVERYTHING as majority of things are for right handed people.

I do have left handed scissors but I am trying to teach my sons to do things right handed (apart from write) as I'm noticing the school are doing anyway :rolleyes:

Polly2
13-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Interesting!
myself and my hubs are right handed, 2 of my 4 children are leftys

My daughter manages everything right handed (she is 17, had lots of practise!!) but she does demand I buy left handed scissors!

I was helping my lefty son (8) do his homework and he just couldn't cut straight lines. He got sooo frustrated, I am going to get him some scissors as the ones I had for my daughter have broken.

He's dyslexic and doesn't need any more trauma :) ha!

I will check out the sites you mentioned :thumbsup:

Rubybubbles
13-10-2010, 01:11 PM
I got mine from ELC my dd manages well with them.

TBH I wouldn't force her to use right ones:eek: that would be like making me use left ones!!!

Bitsy Beans
13-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Here's a good site.
http://www.anythinglefthanded.co.uk/acatalog/childrens_products.html

However, my son is left handed and when he was young I made the decision not to buy special equipment for him. I prefer that he learnt to cope in what is essentially a right handed world.
Now at 21 he says it was the right decision.

Not to say that will be right for everyone.

I heartily agree with this. As a lefty myself I learned to do things right handed, can you believe I even iron right handed - if there was anything that was easily adaptable to a lefty it would be that but growing up when I helped out my right handed mom doing the iron it was always set up for her :laughing:
I digress.......whilst it's all very well and good having specific things for lefties when they are kids I do wonder how they will cope in the adult world where you are left to get on with it.
I consider myself lucky though as I am also abidexterous (sp?) and can write with both hands so perhaps its not as much as a struggle for me as another lefty?

MAWI
13-10-2010, 09:57 PM
I bought mine from the local Scrapstore, they were only 99p.

gegele
13-10-2010, 10:03 PM
i think it's good to have both and let them them choose what feels better i suppose.

i was considering buying some for my DD who keeps on holding her scissor upside down and in a weird way.....she's right handed ah aha ha ha :laughing: :laughing: