PDA

View Full Version : Important safety news

pinklady
12-10-2010, 12:38 PM
I got this on the CAPT email this morning. Very scary.

NEWS
Two babies die after asphyxiation from nappy sacks
Last month CAPT was told about two cases in the south-west where babies had died from asphyxia from nappy sacks.
We have not heard about any such cases before, and those of you who are familiar with our work know that our focus is on accidents which result in deaths and serious injuries.
These cases are particularly alarming given that nappy sacks are commonly used by parents and carers of very young children, and that generally, they are kept close at hand for changing nappies so are within easy reach of babies and young children.
As a result of the deaths, Mike Hayes, our Head of Research, will be raising the issue with CEN, the European Committee for Standardisation.
We'll keep you posted. In the meantime, please make people aware of the dangers, and encourage them to exercise the same caution - keeping them well out of reach of babies and young children - as they would with normal plastic bags.

Daisy1956
12-10-2010, 12:49 PM
I have always been concerned about these bags they are so thin and tear easily I can imagine a child ripping a piece and putting it in their mouths. all we can do is be very careful.

ORKSIE
12-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the warning:thumbsup:

The Juggler
12-10-2010, 01:21 PM
thanks for letting us know.

wellybelly
12-10-2010, 01:38 PM
What terrible things to happen, but nappy sacs are always at hand in the changing boxes. I keep my nappy changing materials in a lidded box on a high shelf because I keep disposable gloves and pinnies with them too.

Chatterbox Childcare
12-10-2010, 01:41 PM
I am in the SW and haven't heard a thing - very disturbing

aly
12-10-2010, 03:26 PM
mine are where children shouldnt be able to get hold of them

Daftbat
12-10-2010, 03:44 PM
A child would never be able to get them at my house - the changing bags are kept on a shelf out of the way and i just take out what i need rather than have the whole bag to hand.

I am paranoid about plastic bags in general - I really moan if people leave any sort of wrappings from the shop around or from parcels received in the post. Only the other day I saw a carrier bag at a toddler group and I immediately tied it in a knot which is what i do with mine which I keep for ribbish bags. You can never be too careful!

Ripeberry
12-10-2010, 04:03 PM
My nappy sacks and gloves are kept behind the 'roller blind' gate on my stairs so I can access them but no-one else can. I know how bad bits of plastic can be, especially bits of old balloons as they can totaly block an airway and you can't grab them :panic:

Hebs
12-10-2010, 04:43 PM
My nappy sacks and gloves are kept behind the 'roller blind' gate on my stairs so I can access them but no-one else can. I know how bad bits of plastic can be, especially bits of old balloons as they can totaly block an airway and you can't grab them :panic:

my mums friend died after choking on a balloon and paramedics were unable to resusitate her (this was over 50 years ago) and she has never forgot it and we were never allowed balloons as kids, my kids arnt allowed balloons nor are my mindees :panic:

makes me cringe when i see kids running around with a balloon hanging out their mouths :panic:

babs
12-10-2010, 06:55 PM
i hate balloons .... as for nappy sacks mine are kept in cupboard out of sight of little handies.......

miffy
12-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Frightening - haven't heard anything about this though.

Thanks for the warning

Miffy xx