PDA

View Full Version : Learning Journal question

maisiemog
12-10-2010, 06:02 AM
I've been updating my LJs this past week and I'm thinking that I might have a little section at the back for photos of the things we do for different festivals and cultures etc (i.e we made baskets for the harvest festival last week) and was thinking that should show ofsted and parents that I'm covering them. what do you think?

It's just that some of the activities would otherwise be repeat observations, espec for my 3 day a week LO.

Also do you reckon 2-3 obs a month is enough? None of my mindees are full time.

sonia ann
12-10-2010, 06:15 AM
I think that's a lovely idea, but remember you can set out our Elj's how you want to as long as you are covering all aspects of their learning and showing how you progress and help their journey, so it is up to you how you set it out.
As for the number of obs you can only do what you can............I have one lo who comes every other Monday so her folder is very thin on the ground even after 18mths. When she is here i just jot down anything that i notice she is doing different to the last time she was here and pop it in her file

sarah707
12-10-2010, 06:38 AM
I looked back on my learning journeys recently as I was in a reflective mood and realised there's a lot of white space on the back of my forms.

So I printed out some of our display photos and other bits and bobs children have made and contributed to over the months and popped those in too with a few words and links to the Eyfs.

Your idea sounds great! Just make a note for your SEF of the changes you are making and how they benefit working with parents ... showing parents more about the activities etc their children are routinely involved in etc.

:D

rickysmiths
12-10-2010, 07:03 AM
Oh I include mine as part of the Learning Journey. Mine are divided into the 6 areas of learning and I do them like a scrap book so photos of all the activities they are doing, examples of work, post it snap shot observations and the more formal twice termly observations. Any festivals would be included in that way and linked to an area of learning and sometimes more than one.

buildingblocks
27-10-2010, 08:15 AM
i have to admit i like doing LJ's but just occasionally I don't want to link it to anything just include it does that make sense. So say for instance we went to the seaside (not something we can do often) I will do a LJ photo sheet and link to the EYFS but then I just put in a couple of sheets with lots of photos of the day out on with no writing or links on it lol