PDA

View Full Version : Upper Respiratory Tract Infection

Bex1
11-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Hello

Just a quickie, my DD has been running a temp since last night, but now its back to normal and she is just a bit lathargic and on the calpol for rest of the day (as per my GP)

The GP said that she has an Upper Respiratory Tract Infection (basically a virus) that doesnt need antibiotics and will be fine in a day or so.

Now does that mean I need to close or, from what I have read, seems to be quite a common virus that is like a cold, so can be picked up all the time!

Some parents are really arsey when I close due to illness, which, I only do if its highly contagious like vomitting etc. Would you close?

Millenium
11-10-2010, 02:47 PM
There's an awful lot of it around at the moment - all age groups from babies through to adults. All of our house has had some similar symtoms over the past 7 to 10 days - no one has stopped at home or taken a day off work. It is just one of those things that I seem to find that does the rounds about this time of year.

I think in our day it didn't have the fancy title of Upper Respiratory Tract Infection - it was just a cold or a runny nose !!! I wouldn't close at all.

Bex1
11-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Thank You. Do you think I should tell parents she is not 100%? Ive just realised one of my mindees is due to go off on holiday abroad next week so would hate for them to catch anything! However as its as common as a cold its likely he could catch it from anywhere!!

AliceK
11-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Personally I wouldn't mention it, unless someone asks if she's ok and then I'd just say she's had a cold and is a bit under the weather. Like someone else has said there are so many with colds and coughs around at the moment (myself included). Like you I only close if it's D&S or something contagious like chicken pox etc.

Hope she feels better soon

xxxx

Goatgirl
11-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Thank You. Do you think I should tell parents she is not 100%? Ive just realised one of my mindees is due to go off on holiday abroad next week so would hate for them to catch anything! However as its as common as a cold its likely he could catch it from anywhere!!

Hi :),
Personally, I'd just let parents know and give them the choice as to whether to bring their child to you.

hope your dd is feeling better soon :)

bws,
Wendy

miffy
11-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Unless your daughter is really poorly and just needs your undivided attention then I wouldn't close.

There's so much going around atm - sore throats, runny noses, hacking coughs, mindees could pick things up from anywhere.

Hope your daughter feels better soon

Miffy xx