PDA

View Full Version : Children Centre AGAIN

Pipsqueak
11-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Bunch of ignorant eddjits.

Get down there this morning for my drop in only to find other people in my room. Asked what was happening there is a creche on. they 'helpfully' said we'll partition the room so the childminders don't disturb you:angry:

went to find out what was going on - there is a parenting course on and they commandered the room - crossing out our room booking in favour of theirs for the next 10 weeks. Apparently the CC manager and CDO knew nothingn about it - yeah right.

so we were stuck in a small partitioned section roughly 20 ft by 15 ft - which is already filled with stuff the EYPs have set out, no access to the childrens toilets, handwashing or baby change and no access to toddler toys, no tables or chairs and if we did have them there was nowhere to set them up.

Popped through to the other room a couple of times and once when we were finished and lo and behold there were NO children - just the creche workers playing with the jigsaws!!!!!! :angry: :angry:

I suggested that perhaps we could share the room only to be met with a look that implied I had asked them to eat dog dirt.

Complained again to the CDO, only to be told well if you want to move elsewhere you'll have to pay:angry: :angry:

I want to jack this drop in - in. I have had enough, they are taking me/us for a ride, wheel me out when it suits and then pee on me from a great height.

HAve complained to Ofsted - apparently this is not within their remit.:angry: :angry:
Pointed out to Ofsted they'd be quick enough to pull a minder up for not working with other professionals blah blah

Children Centers :angry:

Blaze
11-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Complain to your local MP / LA & press:angry: on your behaf!:mad:

HomefromHome
11-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Crikey we are very lucky with our centre then!!! we do get a couple of looks/made to feel uncomfortable on a rare occassion, but otherwise it's a good working relationship - there are 2 huge rooms though and i know a lot of centres dont have that - i would make an official complaint - and as for ofsted - all childrens centres are being inspected from March next year onwards!!! so you should be able to complain to them!

Zoomie
11-10-2010, 12:13 PM
We have numerous children's centres in our town.

There is a childminder drop in at one of the centres, and we share it with the creche (for parent's learning English).

It really works fantastically. We support each other and I have really enjoyed it.

I am not going at the moment because there are new children who are settling in and it is not the happiest of environments, but I know that in a couple of weeks it will be great again.

Sorry to hear that yours is not inclusive :angry:

wendywu
11-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Pip you should have just let the children break through the partition ( with a little help) time and time again.

You should take drums and very loud musical instruments in for a very bombastic free for all music session next week.

Make their life on the other side of the partition hell :angry:

Pipsqueak
11-10-2010, 12:51 PM
lol love to Wendy but they are quite solid partitions and they are soundproofed as well.

a colleague has just rang me to say that she has put in a complaint to Ofsted who have basically told her that they aren't interested - nothing to do with them.
she is now going to make a complaint to the CDO and local council, think I am going to follow her lead.

ajs
11-10-2010, 01:17 PM
lol love to Wendy but they are quite solid partitions and they are soundproofed as well.

a colleague has just rang me to say that she has put in a complaint to Ofsted who have basically told her that they aren't interested - nothing to do with them.
she is now going to make a complaint to the CDO and local council, think I am going to follow her lead.

I am surprised that ofsted aren't interested as after my complaints made by the cc ofsted told me to make a counter complaint against them so they can just drop in and see what's going on with them, the complaints team were horrified with the way the cc in our town were running and a number of times told me to complain about them

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
11-10-2010, 01:44 PM
This is one reason why we don't use our cc they just didn't make us feel welcome at all treated us like pieces of dirty.

I would complain, it is just not far the way we are treated.

xx

The Juggler
11-10-2010, 01:46 PM
ofsted would be interested in your feedback when they inspect the centre. Pip, who is the head of centre - is it the centre manager or is there a headteacher/local authority bod they report too.

You need to go to them with your complaint. Download the core offer for cc's first and have a read then go and quote that at them.:angry: :angry: How dare they!

Pipsqueak
11-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Done that Juggler - quoted the Core Offer at them so many times i think I wrote the damned thing. I have started quoting at Ofsted now which is why i was so shocked that they aren't interested. Be a different matter if it was the other way round eh!
its a manager of the centre - he is a complete and utter doorknob.
My friend who is also complaining has been told there is no complaints procedure at the CC - its just a suggestions form.

Its beyond me...... totally beyond me......

Ripeberry
11-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Just don't go there again. Are there no other centers around? Maybe just meet in each others houses :)

Pipsqueak
11-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Just don't go there again. Are there no other centers around? Maybe just meet in each others houses :)

As a support minder I run the actual drop in's hun. I am supposed to lead good practice!:rolleyes: Its part of my 'job remit'. I have no choice but i am on the cusp of telling them to stick it.

the problem is i have put so much into it over the last couple of years and I know it works as many of those 'hard to reach' minders and those not quite so confident, just starting out often come along and request help with obs, learning journals, planning and loads more. its gutting to think that if the drop in folds then this support will disappear for these minders. Today was a classic example - a minder I have been encouraging for 6 months or so bought some of her paperwork along and asked me to go through it with her. she also asked if she can come and visit me. If its helped one minder then its all worth it.

kentcfis
11-10-2010, 03:47 PM
all complaints about children centres should be directed at the local authority which is usually obtained via the council websites and/or central contact centres

for those children centres setup as private/public companies they should have their own complaints procedure however the local authority does have some responsibility even for those setup as private/public companies.

we believe that ofsted would only investigate it at the time of inspection should it not be apparent that they are engaging with local provision (including childminders)

Pipsqueak
11-10-2010, 03:51 PM
all complaints about children centres should be directed at the local authority which is usually obtained via the council websites and/or central contact centres

for those children centres setup as private/public companies they should have their own complaints procedure however the local authority does have some responsibility even for those setup as private/public companies.

we believe that ofsted would only investigate it at the time of inspection should it not be apparent that they are engaging with local provision (including childminders)

thank you kentcfis - however the LA has its head so far up its own backside. according to the CDO today it was the LA who has organised the group....... and shunted us out the way........

miffy
11-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Go to your MP then - with all the talk of cutbacks and revising EYFS he/she might just be able to create a few shock waves and get you some action!

Miffy xx

The Juggler
11-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Go to your MP then - with all the talk of cutbacks and revising EYFS he/she might just be able to create a few shock waves and get you some action!

Miffy xx

I agree. if the LA aren't monitoring and ofsted aren't interested, MP is the next step. it's ridiculous. I would def. find out when the next inspection is due there though hon and make sure you give PLENTY of feedback about the CM provision.:angry:

Twinkles
11-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Go tell 'em Pip.

If you need a bodyguard I'll send wendywu - that'll scare them !

Mouse
11-10-2010, 05:11 PM
It's a shame that there is such a difference between children's centres.

We did have teething problems with ours, but it all got sorted out & now the staff are great. An interesting point to note is that many of the staff now use childminders for their childcare. I wonder if that makes a difference to their perception of childminders?

Our SureStart children's centre is pretty rubbish though. It's only recently that they've started encouraging us to go back. Hmmm, wonder if that's anything to do with them having an Ofsted inspection anytime now :rolleyes:

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
11-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Do you go to the same centre as me pip?:rolleyes:

seriously though I feel your pain, infact i wrote a very similar thread a few days ago about my local centre. i sadly think its going to become the case that cm's are no longer going to use it which is sad considering how they have all of our funding. But to be honest i think thats what they want so they dont have to look at our wingy mugs anymore!

Lady Haha
11-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Well, I went to the first childminders meeting at the local Surestart today even though I didn't have any mindees as they were all at school:) and found the lady in charge (Family Information Officer or something) to be very helpful for us.........she said that she was there if we needed anything or any advice on breast feeding etc......:panic:

It was nice to meet some other real life childminders though! Which was the reason I went as I never get to meet any cos my mindees are all schoolies.