PDA

View Full Version : worried about crb checks.

funkymum
10-10-2010, 08:58 AM
hello all,

i am thinking of becoming a childminder. i am married with 2 children of my own. i am concerned however with the crb checks that will be done. both me and my husband have current crb checks done with social services, due to my parents being foster carers. my crb check is fine there is nothing on there.
however my husbands has several offences on there. mostly alcohol related, but including violence towards adults, all from from over 12 years ago. there is nothing recent on his crb check, and nothing ever to do with children. but am i right in thinking this will stop me from becoming a childminder?

Pipsqueak
10-10-2010, 10:03 AM
No one on here can say yay or nay for definate in answer to your question I'm afraid. It could potentially be a stumbling block but you could get round it if it was a problem, by saying he won't be in the house while you are minding - this alone may not be good for your relationship though.

I support a lady who is re-registering as a minder who has a record involving alcohol and other adults. Her original registration was revoked. Its taking some time to go through and she has had several interviews with Ofsted but they still won't say yes or no.

hollyberry
12-10-2010, 02:52 PM
I too share that worry. My partner (who doesn't live with me at the current time) has previous cautions for violence to adults (about a year ago). Thankfully he's a changed man now but am worried his past could put the cowbosh on things. When you start becoming a childminder, at what point do you have to start doing CRB checks and would I mention him at the time even though we are not living together at the moment (but aim to be in the future all being well)??

Is there some sort of appeals process that's formally set out that we can go through if he was refused, does anyone know??

I'm so glad you asked that question!

suez
12-10-2010, 03:50 PM
i would of thought if you had both been passed by ss for fostering then they have no worries bout his background:thumbsup: