PDA

View Full Version : learning journals

jake
09-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Do i only include artistic evidence and photographic evidence of obs that iv done,or should we also include other art-work and pics from our day today activities and just link them to the 6 areas of learning?And how often should i be doing observations? thanks for any help :)
Jake

sarah707
10-10-2010, 08:10 AM
You can put anything in a child's learning journey that the child wants to go in there!

So always work closely with the child. If the child is too young to say, then you can choose, but make sure you put anything in there that will show parents how well the child is progressing.

There is no definitive answer to the amount of observations you should do.

The learning journey will build up over time and it depends on how often you see the child.

I do one or two every couple of weeks for a 3 / 4 day a week child... less if I don't see them very often and more if I do.

But it doesn't have to be a written obs - it can be a photo, copy of child's work of art, wow statement (wow you have done xx, well done!) etc.

Hth :D

Helcatt
10-10-2010, 09:48 AM
Sarah

Can I just ask, do you then link all those obs/pics etc to the 6 areas/ECM?

Thats what I am doing and wondered if I'm on the right track

I know we shouldn't use the stuff from the EYFS as a tick list, but is it a good idea to run through that every now and then? I am thinking that if we are missing out on certain areas, then use that to plan for specific areas of learning?

I should really get my head round this properly! Think I'm ok with obs but need to plan from them a bit better

Ta in advance

Hx

sarah707
10-10-2010, 09:54 AM
Sarah

Can I just ask, do you then link all those obs/pics etc to the 6 areas/ECM?

Thats what I am doing and wondered if I'm on the right track

I know we shouldn't use the stuff from the EYFS as a tick list, but is it a good idea to run through that every now and then? I am thinking that if we are missing out on certain areas, then use that to plan for specific areas of learning?

I should really get my head round this properly! Think I'm ok with obs but need to plan from them a bit better

Ta in advance

Hx

Yes I do that!

As you say it helps to spot things that might need a little more encouragement...

Or maybe the child is focussing on one thing at the moment and I can support him (like a schema).

:D

Helcatt
10-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Yes I do that!

As you say it helps to spot things that might need a little more encouragement...

Or maybe the child is focussing on one thing at the moment and I can support him (like a schema).

:D

Schema - now that another thing to get my head around, one likes transporting things at the moment, and opening and closing

and another likes posting things so we made a post box and put some strong cards in envelopes for them

Thanks for your help

HX

jake
10-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Sarah thankyou for that, can you explain to me what schema is?And im not sure exactly what mark making means either:eek: sorry if im being a bit slack but theres loads to take in,thanks again
jake:)

sarah707
10-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Sarah thankyou for that, can you explain to me what schema is?And im not sure exactly what mark making means either:eek: sorry if im being a bit slack but theres loads to take in,thanks again
jake:)

You are welcome!

Helcatt has explained what schemas are in the post above yours.

They are when children repeat behaviour patterns - like constantly throwing or pressing buttons or posting things.

If you spot a child doing this then you can support their learning and development by finding other similar activities for them to enjoy.

mark making is literally making marks - with fingers in the sand, sticks in the mud, wheels in a puddle of bubbles etc.

Hth :D

green puppy
10-10-2010, 03:16 PM
A schema is a repeated pattern of play, many children develop them and can show more than one at a time. For example a child that is fascinated by anything that goes round ie water wheels, car/bike wheels, washing machine, walking in circles may have a rotational schema. A trajectary schema is where the child likes lines so may start dropping things from a height, lining up cars in a row, throw things, play with running water from taps. Have a look at www.dorsetforyou.com/357248, Sarah707 also has an e book on them. Mark making is any kind of marks or patterns the child begins to create. Running their finger through yoghurt on the table, in gloop, sand, finger painting, and using tools, crayons etc........., drawing, painting,