PDA

View Full Version : multicultural resources help please

keeks
08-10-2010, 03:15 PM
I've got some African instruments and some multicultural little people. What other multicultural resources would you recommend? I'm especially thinking of toys.

Oh, and I've got some laminated pictures of people from different parts of the world too.

Thanks
xx

Mookins
08-10-2010, 03:29 PM
ummm...dressing up, puppets, teepee?....its a shame but when you stick the word multicultural in front of it the prices go WHOOOSH!!:(

xxx

grindal
08-10-2010, 03:48 PM
I borrowed a load from my local playgroup for my first inspection - shhhhh dont tell OFSTED :eek:

wellybelly
08-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Books which reflect diversity such as children and adults who have disabilities, different cultures, food from around the world, men and women in the same roles. Libraries often have an end of catalogue range of books which they sell off for as little as 10p each.

Food utencils from around the world such as chopsticks, woks, balti dishes, play food from around the world e.g. croisants, german sausages and spaghetti.

Dolls from other cultures e.g. chinese, asian, african.

Block Play People - several different cultures available of the net.

Photo's of festivals being celebrated e.g. Holi, Divali, Chinese New Year, Christmas, Chinese Dragon Boat Festival. You can also find great crafts to make linked to these festivals. You could also take photos of the children learning about the festivals to use the following year.

Resources which focus on disability - Dolls with hearing aids, glasses, crutches, canes, wheelchairs. There is a block play set available too.

Early Learning Centre have a Happy land set of people similar to Fisher Price Little people, of people from around the world.

Popular dolls like Dora the Explora, Small World characters from balamory.

Musical Instruments that you've made which have a likening to multicultural musical instruments e.g. rain makers.

Home made books about cultures, religions, other cultures e.g. gypsy roma travellers, food around the world etc. Staples do a binding service from £3 for a 50 page document.

Dressing up clothes from other cultures. Although you can buy them off the net, it's cheaper to buy them from the proper shops. Children sized sari's can be as little as £6!

Hope that helps