PDA

View Full Version : References

pinkbutterfly
08-10-2010, 10:18 AM
I have a prospective parent who asked for references form all the parents whose children I take care of. I'm not 100% happy to ask them to provide references (ie pass on the contact details) to somebody who might or might not want to sign the contract as there is the confidentiality issue. I've only really been minding for two months ... I know they are happy with the care I provide because they tell me all the time. How would you handle this? Would you ask for references?

Pipsqueak
08-10-2010, 10:23 AM
I would either:

a) ask original parents if they are happy to be contacted by this parent - mobile, email etc

b) ask original (past) parents if they would provide a written reference so that you can show it to prospective clients

I have a mixture of both and I think its sensible of prospective clients to want to talk with other clients and get their views/see what they have to say.

peanuts
08-10-2010, 10:39 AM
on my questionaires i have a bit asking if they are happy to be contacted and if so what is their preffered way of being contacted pnone/e-mail. I also have it on my leavers questionarire

youarewhatyoueat
08-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Bit difficult to ask parents for a reference when you have only been minding for 2 months, I can see your dilema. The best you can do is to ask the parents if they mind speaking to a prospective parent, you may find that they are happy too.

Pipsqueak
08-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Bit difficult to ask parents for a reference when you have only been minding for 2 months, I can see your dilema. The best you can do is to ask the parents if they mind speaking to a prospective parent, you may find that they are happy too.

The OP can still ask parents to write something down, can't see why her minding 2 months would be a problem. I ask parents for written feedback after 4 weeks - at the end of settling in.

Beetlejuice
08-10-2010, 02:46 PM
I ask the new parent for their phone number and ask my current clients to call them if they don't mind. Now I'm more established I have a 'compliments and complaints' file in which I have all my written references/thank you cards etc from past and present clients which I show at interview time.

The 'complaint's part is empty aside from a blank complaints form!:D

pinkbutterfly
08-10-2010, 06:31 PM
I ask the new parent for their phone number and ask my current clients to call them if they don't mind.

Now that's a good idea. That's what I will do.