PDA

View Full Version : When do I have to do tax return??

Ripeberry
07-10-2010, 01:06 PM
I started minding in Sept 09 and started paying NI then as well. So a whole year has gone by. Can someone tell me when I'm supposed to do my tax return?
Do they prompt me? It's all new to me :eek:

funfunfun
07-10-2010, 01:32 PM
Shouldnt it have been april ?????

Pixie dust
07-10-2010, 01:34 PM
I started in Sept 09 too and was sent all the details to do a tax return for Sept 09 to march 2010 as thts how the tax years go. Have you not received anything?

Pixie dust

Chatterbox Childcare
07-10-2010, 01:42 PM
We are now in the tax year 2010/2011 and you should be preparing or have lodged your 2009/2010 return. You should have heard from the IR and if you have not I urge you to contact them

You have until 31st October 2010 to lodge the return by paper and until 31st January 2011 to do it on line. Be aware that any monies due will be due by 31st January 2011, even if you lodge it on that day. I would get it done sooner rather than later so if you have tax to pay you will know what it is.

Ripeberry
07-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Thanks, I've not heard anything from IR so I'll get in touch with them. There I am sitting like a lemon :o

pillows
07-10-2010, 07:23 PM
PLEASE CAN SOMEONE ADVISE ME ---- IF I DO MY TAX RETURN ONLINE WHAT HAPPENS BOUT LL YOUR RECIEPTS ETC DO THEY JUST GET FWD ON ? SORRY BUT I YET TO DO MY RETURN TOO AS I STARTED IN NOV 09
THANKS
:panic:

Zoomie
07-10-2010, 08:25 PM
2009-2010 return should only cover income and expenditure up till 5 April 2010.

Also if you file return online, just store all your documentation for 7 years (I think) as HMRC can come anytime to inspect / verify your return.

HTHs

catswhiskers
07-10-2010, 08:49 PM
Ripeberry - you will need to do a tax return for anything you earned between April 09 (know you didn't start until Sept 09 but that doesn't matter) until April 10.

As said before, any tax due will have to be paid by January 2011.

Pillows - you just do your tax return online - you keep your receipts with you as you have already calculated all your expenses (receipts etc) and put them on the tax return ifswim. You don't have to send them anywhere.

Cazz
07-10-2010, 09:55 PM
We're in the exactly the same boat Ripeberry - I started in September 09 (where has that year gone :eek:) and I haven't heard from IR either! I think in the back of my mind I knew the dates were October and January though - just not got round to doing anything about it :laughing:

Can I just jump in on your thread and ask a question? I understand that you have to put on your tax return the amount of interest you have earnt from bank accounts. I'm assuming it has to be the exact figure (and not guesstimated :D ) but would the bank be able to give you the figures? It was probably on my April statements but my paperwork upstairs is in such a mess that I can't find them :blush:

It certainly won't be much because I don't hold much money in my bank accounts (not through choice!) so we're probably talking a couple of pounds in total!

Chatterbox Childcare
08-10-2010, 06:57 AM
We're in the exactly the same boat Ripeberry - I started in September 09 (where has that year gone :eek:) and I haven't heard from IR either! I think in the back of my mind I knew the dates were October and January though - just not got round to doing anything about it :laughing:

Can I just jump in on your thread and ask a question? I understand that you have to put on your tax return the amount of interest you have earnt from bank accounts. I'm assuming it has to be the exact figure (and not guesstimated :D ) but would the bank be able to give you the figures? It was probably on my April statements but my paperwork upstairs is in such a mess that I can't find them :blush:

It certainly won't be much because I don't hold much money in my bank accounts (not through choice!) so we're probably talking a couple of pounds in total!

The banks inform the IR of your interest so you need to be exact. There is a separate sheet statement produced by the banks each month which normally comes out in your end of April or May statements

Cazz
08-10-2010, 09:58 PM
The banks inform the IR of your interest so you need to be exact. There is a separate sheet statement produced by the banks each month which normally comes out in your end of April or May statements

Oh!! Good job I asked then :D

Supposing I can't find those seperate sheets, does that mean I'm going to have to pay for duplicate statements? :(

Chatterbox Childcare
08-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Oh!! Good job I asked then :D

Supposing I can't find those seperate sheets, does that mean I'm going to have to pay for duplicate statements? :(

If you are not sure contact the bank and ask them as they are not statements but a letter stating what you have received and paid. If not, go over the years statements and see what interest they have given you

Cazz
08-10-2010, 10:10 PM
If you are not sure contact the bank and ask them as they are not statements but a letter stating what you have received and paid. If not, go over the years statements and see what interest they have given you

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

To go over the year's statements would mean they'd have to be in some sort of order!!

I'm not kidding - my personal paperwork upstairs is in a right old mess. I keep meaning to find a whole day free that I can go through it all. My childminding paperwork is all filed neatly in a locking 2 drawer cabinet so at least I've got the business side in order :D

Chatterbox Childcare
09-10-2010, 11:58 AM

To go over the year's statements would mean they'd have to be in some sort of order!!

I'm not kidding - my personal paperwork upstairs is in a right old mess. I keep meaning to find a whole day free that I can go through it all. My childminding paperwork is all filed neatly in a locking 2 drawer cabinet so at least I've got the business side in order :D

:laughing: :laughing: Unless you have lots of money coming in and out it shouldn't take too long :jump for joy: :jump for joy:

MaryMary
09-10-2010, 12:26 PM

I know the feeling! :laughing: I seem to be drowning under a mountain of paper in all parts of my life!

Do you use internet banking? You can look back at past statements and don't need to find any paper!! Might be worth thinking about. you can stop getting paper statements & that will help your paper mountain :)
We should make a pact to get rid of our paper... I think we would feel much better for it

Cazz
09-10-2010, 01:26 PM
I know the feeling! :laughing: I seem to be drowning under a mountain of paper in all parts of my life!

Do you use internet banking? You can look back at past statements and don't need to find any paper!! Might be worth thinking about. you can stop getting paper statements & that will help your paper mountain :)
We should make a pact to get rid of our paper... I think we would feel much better for it

No, I don't do internet banking - I've always been wary of it for some reason.

I think it's something worth considering though - I could have found out my interest no problem! And less paperwork would definetly be a good thing!

Debbie - I certainly don't have loads of money coming in and out more's the pity!!

pillows
10-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Ripeberry - you will need to do a tax return for anything you earned between April 09 (know you didn't start until Sept 09 but that doesn't matter) until April 10.

As said before, any tax due will have to be paid by January 2011.

Pillows - you just do your tax return online - you keep your receipts with you as you have already calculated all your expenses (receipts etc) and put them on the tax return ifswim. You don't have to send them anywhere.

thanks very much for your advice :)