PDA

View Full Version : what should I do?

nikijc0205
07-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Hi all
I hope you can offer me some advise as not sure what to do. I haven't had any work for a while, apart from some part-time work in the holidays. So when I had a call yesterday I was over the moon!

The job would start dec/jan for 2 children and not sure if for 1 or 2 days a week but the hours would be 8am-6pm.

I was asked if I would give a sibling discount and to provide 3 meals a day one of which must be cooked.

I don't usually provide food only snacks and also I leave the house for the school run in the morning about 8.20am so would not have time for them to eat breakfast before we go.

The lady is coming with her children to see me next week. What do I say?

Many thanks for any help.
Niki x

HomefromHome
07-10-2010, 12:29 PM
breakfast doesnt have to be before - i had one that didnt eat til 9ish. just have it when you get back. as for providing food if you're not willing to then ask her to provide their food for them - it's only one day (?) so it shouldnt be too much hassle for her. just explain you only provide snacks - a lot of minders do so dont worry. hth

HomefromHome
07-10-2010, 12:30 PM
oh an no to the discount - still taking up a place arent they and again it's one day. iyswim lol

minkzebell
07-10-2010, 12:32 PM
This comes down to how much you want the work?:( Personally, I gave a sibling discount once and really wished I hadn't , but if I was desperate for work I would offer it (£1 reduction per hour) for the older child. The breakfast issue- can you give toast/dry cereal in a bag or croissant/brioche to eat on the way and something else when you get back from the school run?
HTH

The Juggler
07-10-2010, 12:33 PM
i wouldn't want to be tied to returning home every day for late breakfast though. I do offer 0900 breakfasts for weaning babies though as I can take this with me if necessary.

I would tell her hon, no sibling discounts but maybe work out monthy amount and offer a little rounded down discount every month rather than reducing the hourly fee?

I would tell her breakfast is at 8.45 latest or they will need to eat at home and if you don't want to provide a cooked meal that's fine. Tell her lunch might occasionally be soup or pasta (something simple) but will usually just be cold lunches and as you don't offer cooked tea/dinner you will provide substantial snacks (carbs and fruits) at xx time every day.

I have to say have just stopped making teas and it's bliss:clapping:

miffy
07-10-2010, 12:36 PM
That's a difficult one if you need the work - don't agree to do/provide anything that you're not happy with or you will end up resenting it.

If you don't wish to provide meals then say so. I don't provide breakfast but I do provide lunch and tea. Like you I start at 8am and it's so busy with children arriving at different times I don't have time to sort breakfast out.

I don't offer sibling discounts either but I wouldn't rule that out if I needed the work.

I'm not sure if I think this lady is after getting as much as she can for her money :rolleyes: - you'll have to see what you think when you meet her.

Miffy xx

sandy64
07-10-2010, 12:39 PM
hi you need to find out if its the same day each week or you may find it hard filling other places. so you would maybe need to take a retainer if different. also think ahead if your filling 1 day a week are you ok to still have a fulltimer when the phone starts to ring?? sorry i was just thinking ahead.
i wouldnt do a discount for 1 day a week, and also if you dont want to do a cooked meal dont, breakfast can be after school run maybe a peice of fruit to keep them going, lunch can be sandwiches, mum surely could do tea?? if you do decide to add it to your fees. hope it goes well you do no the phone will start ringing now it usually does lol:laughing:

Mouse
07-10-2010, 12:50 PM
I would think about what you can agree to & meet her half way. If she thinks she can call the shots on everything from the beginning, she might think she can always do that (ie. won't want to pay for holidays etc)

I don't do a morning school run, so can give the children breakfast. Parents provide it though. Tell mum that you leave the house at 8.20am and ask whether she thinks there would be time for the children to eat & get cleaned up before you go. If she thinks there is, ask her to provide breakfast & give it a go. If it doesn't work tell her she'll have to give them breakfast before they come to you.

Could you prepare more of whatever you're eating the night before & keep it for the children for the next day? You'd only have to heat it up, it wouldn't take you any longer to prepare & the children would be having a hot meal. That should satisfy one of the requests.

I would explain to mum that you don't usually offer a sibling discount & you don't usually provide meals. Perhaps you could consider a discount, but you would charge for meals, or you would include meals, but not give a discount. Don't agree to both.

nikijc0205
07-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice.:thumbsup: