PDA

View Full Version : Retainer from an existing parent?

snufflepuff
07-10-2010, 11:59 AM
A few months back a parent told me she will need to increase LOs days at some point in the new year as her MIL (who has LO one day a week at the moment) will be having a knee replacement operation. She asked what i'd do if someone wanted the space and I said it would depend but in general I wouldn't be able to turn people away for her.
I had an enquiry last week for January and if I was to take this child on I would no longer have that space. I'm still undecided as to whether I actually want the extra work at the moment.
Do you think I should mention this to the existing parent? Is is reasonable to suggest a half fee retainer to hold the space for her? To be honest i'd expect her to say she can't afford it and will have to risk the space being gone. I'm also worried that the extra day may end up being a temporary thing too, just until MIL recovers, so at least a retainer might make up for that a bit.

mummyof3
07-10-2010, 12:11 PM
I would say if she does need the extra day then she has to start paying to hold the place now or take her chances that you may be full. I have a little one after school one day a week and in school hols and mum did say it will be going to 2 days and guess what ........ it never has :rolleyes: now I am stuck with an early years mindee one day a week after school and I can never fill the place as all calls are normally including a weds. I've often thought of giving notice but can't find it in my heart to do this as they are a lovely family. I'm too soft to run a business :rolleyes:

little chickee
07-10-2010, 02:54 PM
I would ask for a retainer to keep the space. If you are keeping the space for her you will have to turn away this new business. What if like you say it turns out to be temporary.

I would give your existing parent the choice you have stated - pay the retainer to keep the space or risk it not being there come january when they need it. Plain business sense!:thumbsup:

Noomie
07-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Snufflepuff, you're heart is too good (I know this from at least Feb 09!), as is most of ours! But you can't turn away new business on a chance and your parent needs to make a decision about what she wants you to do. Perhaps let the mum know what decision you have to make and then let her decide whether she takes the risk of letting the space be full or not. You are putting the ball in her court that way and she will have all the facts.

xx

tashaleee
07-10-2010, 08:53 PM
I would take on a new child and then go to Ofsted for a variation for continuity of care for the existing mindee - particularly if it is only short term while the nan recovers :thumbsup:

snufflepuff
07-10-2010, 09:31 PM
I would take on a new child and then go to Ofsted for a variation for continuity of care for the existing mindee - particularly if it is only short term while the nan recovers

It's a good idea but it would mean I'd have 4 children under 2 on a Wednesday..... 8 months, 19 months, 22 months and 23 months.....even if Ofsted allowed it, I think it would be enough to tip me over the edge, lol! The other option is my Mum- we are in the process of registering her as my assistant, and she is always avaliable on Wednesdays, but i'm not sure it will be sorted on time because Ofsted have been.... well, useless- sending her envelopes containing nothing for example!!!!

Noomie....thank you :blush:

snufflepuff
07-10-2010, 09:52 PM
I won't see Mum again until Monday (or longer as apparently LO has a tummy bug now) so i'm going to email her.....can anyone help me with the wording please???

singlewiththree
08-10-2010, 06:40 AM
I would take on a new child and then go to Ofsted for a variation for continuity of care for the existing mindee - particularly if it is only short term while the nan recovers :thumbsup:

me too :) I would ask the parent if its going to be temporary as I would explain they can either pay a retainer or you take on the other one and risk a variation from ofsted