PDA

View Full Version : Leaving a child home alone

anklebiters
06-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Hello there,

One of my parents has requested that when I take her child to rainbows I leave the 11 year old sibling (who has just started secondary school) behind at my home alone, so he can complete his homework. The child in question is very sensible and very trustworthy.

But what would you do? As there is no legal age restriction any guidance would be appreciated. Would a permission slip suffice or would Ofsted frown on her request?

Pleeeeaaase help, I'm at a loss as to what is deemed appropriate!:(

tilly2
06-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Hiya!!! I wouldn't take any chances, god forbid anything happened it would be on your head!!! ring Ofsted for peace of mind xx

Ripeberry
06-10-2010, 12:41 PM
I would think it would be a big NO! As the child would be in your house and your responsibility. A permission form from the parents would not stand up in court if anything happened.
Do you have to stay at Rainbows, how long does it take to get there and back?

Could the older child not take the homework with him if you have to stay with the youngest?

MAWI
06-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Personally I wouldnt. But obviously every one may have a different view on this.
I would still take the child with me if they are in my care. I have some secondary school age children and while Im happy for them to arrive independantly (with permissions), I would not consider leaving them in my house for any length of time. If they attend my setting then Im responsible for them and I cannot safeguard them if I cannot hear or see them.
Im not sure what the legal/Ofsted perspective is, maybe soemone else may come along soon with some more info

rickysmiths
06-10-2010, 12:51 PM
I wouldn't leave any minded child alone in my home even if they were 18! They are your responsibility. I would take him and the homework with me or not take to Rainbows. Could one of mums friends collect and take the little one to Rainbows?

Pipsqueak
06-10-2010, 12:52 PM
No no no no.

There is no law on leaving children 'home alone' - it just states that the child needs to be mature enough to cope with an emergency. That is such a grey area.
You are also childminding them and are subject to Ofsted, insurances etc etc.

No no no:panic:

Not to mention i don't want to leave other children alone in MY home.

georgie456
06-10-2010, 12:55 PM
No no no no.

There is no law on leaving children 'home alone' - it just states that the child needs to be mature enough to cope with an emergency. That is such a grey area.
You are also childminding them and are subject to Ofsted, insurances etc etc.

No no no:panic:

Not to mention i don't want to leave other children alone in MY home.

Totally agreed. I would say a big no to this.

nannymcflea
06-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Whilst there is no age limit governing leaving a child home alone in your own home, the child in question would be under your care, a totally different scenario.
I doubt your insurance would cover any accident/incident that may happen and I'm sure OFSTED would hold you responsible for any incident/accident that happened whilst a child was left unattended in your setting.

Andrea08
06-10-2010, 01:57 PM
i would leave my own children at that age but neva a minded child,,

it has happened and a parent went mad although the person in question had no choice (very very long story)... insurance would not cover you if you left a child so always think the worse and safeguard YOURSELF XX

onceinabluemoon
06-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Some excellent advice already. I'd tell Mum no too - I think Ofsted would have a field day with you leaving the child at home alone

mama2three
06-10-2010, 03:17 PM
[I wouldnt leave my own at 11 , never mind a mindee!

Ripeberry
06-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Some excellent advice already. I'd tell Mum no too - I think Ofsted would have a field day with you leaving the child at home alone

:panic: :eek:

aly
06-10-2010, 03:54 PM
after having a MINOR fire at home today with me there, I dread to think what would happen if I didnt notice and went out without a mindee.

for me it would be to ignore her request....if you are worried abotu saying no tell her your insurance wouldnt allow it.

gigglinggoblin
06-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Another NO WAY! It is my understanding that although you can leave a child (your own) if anything happens then you can be prosecuted for neglect. I would imagine your insurance would say no, thats probably the least confrontational way to turn mum down.

miffy
06-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Don't be tempted! You have no control over what happens whilst you're not there.

I'm sure your insurance wouldn't cover you

Miffy xx

RainbowBright
06-10-2010, 06:07 PM
I am not registered yet but have spoke to SS about this issue previously-even though there is no law regarding leaving yours or any other children home alone at a certain age, IF the child was to have an accident it would be classed as neglect and investigated as such.

Def not worth the risk HTH

sunnysmile
06-10-2010, 06:21 PM
I am yet again shocked at the attitude of some parents. How could she possibly even think of putting you in the position of even having to answer this request.
Absolutely no.

charlie potato
06-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Personally I wouldnt. But obviously every one may have a different view on this.
I would still take the child with me if they are in my care. I have some secondary school age children and while Im happy for them to arrive independantly (with permissions), I would not consider leaving them in my house for any length of time. If they attend my setting then Im responsible for them and I cannot safeguard them if I cannot hear or see them.
Im not sure what the legal/Ofsted perspective is, maybe soemone else may come along soon with some more info

this is my policy also and how i deal with my 11 yr old mindee. xx

Heaven Scent
06-10-2010, 07:02 PM
I personally have left my own 11 year old at home while dropping his sister to guides etc and when she started high school I did the same BUT they were my children and I am entitled to make those decisions.

When it comes to mindees no matter what age they are they go where I go - I'm being paid to care for them and that is what I do care for them - As far as I'm concerned his homework won't suffer for the sake of the 10-20 minutes it will take to drop his sister off. If mum wants you to care for him she must respect your policies etc and that is that.

anklebiters
06-10-2010, 08:16 PM
Thanks alot everyone for your prompt replies. No it is then!! :D

Cazz
06-10-2010, 09:19 PM
I know I'm a bit late but it's a definite no from me too!

I have a similar situation at the moment - I've had a 12 year old (13 in a couple of weeks) walking to my home independantly (signed permission) and when Mum picked her up on Monday I said that we had made arrangements which way she and my dd would walk home so that if they were running late I could leave for the school pick-up for my mindee who was starting the next day and I would pick the two of them up on the way. She said "Oh, they'll be waving to you as you pass - they're old enough now to go home on their own"!! I said "Sorry I can't have K going home to an empty house or leave her on her own and she will have to come with me"! I couldn't really believe she said that!

As others have said I would leave my own child/ren (who are almost 13 as well) for a short period but I would never leave a mindee because I am being paid to care for them and I know my insurance would be invalid - as well as ending up in a heap of trouble if something happened!

My dh could be home by 3pm if needed on the days I do this new school pick up so I am going to ask Ofsted if he registered as my assistant would K be able to stay at home with him for the 25 minutes or so that I'm out doing this pick-up. I don't know if they'll even allow this though.

Chatterbox Childcare
06-10-2010, 10:01 PM
I left my own children and if one of mine were here I would leave an 11 year old BUT there is a niggle in the back of my mind - if this child is so capable why are you looking after them in the first place and why aren't they at home?

Ring Ofsted and your insurance company before agreeing to this.

Cazz
06-10-2010, 10:09 PM
if this child is so capable why are you looking after them in the first place and why aren't they at home?

It could be for the same reason that I have K - my 12 year old mindee. Her mum and dad work for the family business about 25 miles away and they don't get home until 6.00pm. They don't like K going home to an empty house and being on her own for long periods (especially in the winter months when it gets dark early), but she does have a key and on the other 2 days when she doesn't come to me she goes to an after school club and then lets herself in because this is only about an hour or so before Mum will be home.

K is a sensible mature girl but I still wouldn't leave her alone because I'm being paid to be responsible for her. It's Mum's choice that she's not supervised for the other 2 days a week.

nokidshere
08-10-2010, 08:47 AM
I don't think parents are being unreasonable or neglectful by asking us to do such things to be honest. Leaving a child of 11+ at home is not unusual for many parents - including childminders own children - so they probably don't think anything of it.

Informing them that its not allowed because they aren't your children is all that is needed really.