View Full Version : Keeping a place available... Am I taking the mick?

05-10-2010, 08:03 PM
I posted before about charging even through the school holidays. Parents finally agreed to it. Result.

However now they don't need me before and after school four days a week, they only need two. Mum's at uni and has found her timetable means she can do the other two days. Except for when she is on placement. Then they need the spaces, so I can't fill them with anyone else. Have now had to tell them about paying half fee for these days to keep the space available.

Is this taking the mick now?

05-10-2010, 08:09 PM
You have your own rules and policies, Mum has a copy of these I presume?? If so, there is really no come back.
We all work differently and I do find it really cheeky when people ask you to 'keep spaces' free for their child!!! Do they think we don't have bills to pay too????? Or is our mortgage free just because we work from home???:angry:

Tracey x

candy cat
05-10-2010, 08:15 PM
hun you are running a business......i am getting a 50% retainer from sept until march/april ......feel slightly guilty,but if someone wants good childcare it's the price they pay! cx

05-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Parent has changed her mind not you - she will need the spaces sometimes so it's reasonable for you to ask half fee retainer to keep them open.

Miffy xx

05-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Have only met her once as we're in the early phases of working out what childminder's do / don't do. So she doesn't have copies of my policies yet as they were deciding what type of childcare they wanted (nanny or cm). They haven't been back since, we're just negotiating via email. I just can't keep these spaces open. I am keen to fill all my places - as we all are.

I feel I am making some compromises as I will be picking them up and dropping them off to their house on the days I do look after them as she has no car. This is fine as long as it's after my other mindees are picked up and my husband is home to look after our daughter (he is). Also I am a very experienced primary teacher and one of their children is having difficulty at school so needs to be sat with for homework. I am happy to do this but that's a bit of free tutoring thrown in for good measure.

Ah well, they accepted the holiday continued payments. Let's see if they accept this as well.

05-10-2010, 08:29 PM
I wouldn't be waiting on this parent if something else comes along in the meantime (and I'd carry on advertising the space).

Until the contract is signed and the first month's money paid I would keep my options open - you never know in this job if things will pan out the way you expect them to.

Miffy xx

05-10-2010, 08:32 PM
If she is at full time uni and dad is on a lower income(under 24000) there is a good chance they will get childcare paid.

My friend, single parent mum gets £100 a week for her children age 13 and 15 years!

05-10-2010, 08:40 PM
No, husband earns too much for any help. Think it's full time uni, but only met her and the children briefly for 20 mins when they were deciding whether to go for a CM or a nanny. Have told them about vouchers but then he contracts so doesn't get paid monthly. I do feel bad in a way as she is studying but I had to pay my CM during hols despite teaching so only needed term time to keep my space. She was good, so worth it. And I didn't want my dd going from one childminder to another.

05-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Miffy, I'm definitely keeping my options open until they are paying! But they better start deciding, they need care as of next week!

05-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Miffy, I'm definitely keeping my options open until they are paying! But they better start deciding, they need care as of next week!

Never understood why some parents leave everything until the last minute! :panic:

I'm not getting a very good feeling about this one (sorry) :(

Miffy xx

05-10-2010, 09:27 PM
I'm not either. It started off as a way to make my places close to full (originally 5 days, then four, now two) to now leaving me with huge gaps to fill. Care on Tuesdays and Fridays only are not friendly days!

In the end if I do take the family on, it will be my terms or I will take them on until something better comes along. At least some money will be coming in for now in the latter case. And I will have a 2 week notice get out clause in the latter case too.

(LOL at myself using the word latter! Sounds funny)