PDA

View Full Version : Do you let children come to you with a chest infection

Fabby
05-10-2010, 12:39 PM
HI, do you let children come into your setting with a diagnosed chest infection? The child in question is 10 months old.

curlycathy
05-10-2010, 12:44 PM
I wouldn't as both myself and dd are asthmatic so if we caught it could get really ill. Not to mention fact that any other mindee might get it and also be really ill.

I would have though lo with a chest infection is better off cuddled up at home anyway.

RainbowMum
05-10-2010, 12:44 PM
If they are well enough to be away from parent and with medication forms signed - yes no problem with child coming to me with chest infection.

Fabby
05-10-2010, 12:57 PM
Thankyou. Anyone else wish to share please? need to call mum back asap

The Juggler
05-10-2010, 12:59 PM
as long as no temps and well enough to join in. for small babies I don't mind either as they will usually sleep and it doesn't prevent me caring for other children.

Mouse
05-10-2010, 01:03 PM
As long as they're well in themselves I would be OK about them coming.

If they were obviously unwell, then I would expect them to be at home.

Fabby
05-10-2010, 01:06 PM
I have a cold myself at the mo - is a chest infection contagious or not?

caz3007
05-10-2010, 01:07 PM
I have had them and given meds, as long as they arent out of sorts and can play or are happy even if its a DVD day, then its ok with me (that sounds bad, I dont mean DVD's all day, just a quiet day with some TV, as this is what they would do at home if they werent 100%)

bexcee
05-10-2010, 01:43 PM
It depends on how ill the child is with the chest infection. If it is just a mild one and they are still eating and able to join in with whatever we are doing then I would say yes but if they are ill with it, off their food, running a temperature etc then they will be better off at home with their parents.

blue bear
05-10-2010, 03:30 PM
I always let children attend with chest infections until I took my son to the doctors with one. The doctor said I should not be minding while he had a chest infection as they are highly contagious and small children pick them up easily.

miffy
05-10-2010, 04:58 PM

Same here.

Miffy xx

Fabby
05-10-2010, 05:05 PM
So do you think i will be ok looking after him tomorrow with me being pregnant and my immune system being low anyway with a cold?? You get mixed responces as to weather it is contagious or not. My main concern is myself if iam honest because last thing i want/need is a chest infection while i am pregnant

sarah707
05-10-2010, 05:11 PM

The same! :D

miffy
05-10-2010, 05:13 PM
If you're not feeling great anyway and you're worried you might pick something else up from mindee then I wouldn't have him. Your own health and that of your baby is more important.

Miffy xx

Chatterbox Childcare
05-10-2010, 05:18 PM
I don't think a cold or chest infection is on the exclusion list.

Personally if the child can join in with everything and not stop me from what I am doing them I would have them. Anti biotics would be administered once medical forms were completed.

jumpinjen
05-10-2010, 06:11 PM
I state that 24 hours must have passed from when antibiotics started if they are given. I also don't have children if they are unable to take part in normal activities... including school run in cold weather, playgroups, outings, playing at home etc. If constantly need to to cuddled and not well enough to join in then I sned home as need nursing and I cannot nurse when I have others to care for!

jen x

onceinabluemoon
05-10-2010, 08:08 PM
My policies say no poorly children...

The reality is they come with all illnesses and I catch everything...