PDA

View Full Version : 3 1/2 yr old at Montessori nursery from 9-3

mandy moo
05-10-2010, 11:14 AM
As the title says, i have a 3 1/2 yr old child who goes to the local Montessori Nursery from 9am till 3pm, i pick him up at 3 and then the do the school run.
He is so tired by the end of the school day, he does not want to do any activities Ive put out and just wants to watch T.V and chill with my sons and the brother and sister I mind, they too, are older after schoolers.
I seem to have very little to put in his learning journal/daily diary and observations.
Something else Im not to clear on do we need to do learning journals etc for a 5 & 3/4 yr old?
I have a feeling Im due an inspection soon, and I guess Im unsure as to what Ofsted will think, or should I give them a ring and explain and see what they say.

Pipsqueak
05-10-2010, 11:32 AM
The bulk of the work for both the 3 and 5 yr old will fall to their main settings. You should be working in partnership with them - ie being aware of the childs learning journey, planning etc that they may have, sharing your obs with them etc.

Your LJ's for these children will reflect the time you have them - so you may only get one obs a week (if that) for either child.

My LJ's for schoolies are scrapbook type ones which just show their interests, things they have said and done, reflections (theirs) etc, they are very involved in producing this. Ofsted were happy with this.

jumpinjen
05-10-2010, 06:00 PM
I think that the wording on five year olds is that they come under the EYFS until the August after their fifth birthday but if you are not their main carer then you can't be expected to do a bulky LJ with several obs a week as you won't see them. With my after schoolie I do one a week, usually focussed on social interactions and emotional development as this is what she struggles with so I focus on her needs.... numeracy, literacy etc is focussed on at school. I always peek in her bag for the weekly 'what we are doing' sheet written by the teacher for each Monday week beginning so that I know what she's up to at school and we can chat about it, but that's all!

jen x