PDA

View Full Version : watching telly

Beenletloose
04-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Hi i am a pre-reg
I am just writing a daily plan of activities that i might do each day.
Are we allowed to let them watch telly for short amount of time each day or play console games.
Or is it frowned upon, i don't know what to put for those few minutes when you need to tidy up and make lunch etc.
Thanks

jumpinjen
04-10-2010, 05:29 PM
You don't need to schedule every minute of the day. I personally don't have the tv on when I am minding for littlies or after schoolies, I tend to find that they have it on a lot at home and I would rather they played at mine. The exception being school hols when we sometimes have a cinema day and make tickets and pop corn etc to watch a film together. it's up to you but you only need a rough timetable of your day really x

miffy
04-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Your daily routine only needs to be a rough outline of the things you do each day - school runs, snack and meal times etc, etc.

I do have the TV on sometimes (not every day as children don't ask for it), there's no harm in that and no rule that says you can't - I use it for wind down time after being outdoors or for quiet time if a child is feeling tired and just needs a rest.

Sometimes we'll just watch a programme together - do whatever suits you but don't feel you need to plan every second of your day.

Miffy xx

Tina O
04-10-2010, 08:05 PM
I use TV and DVD 'now and again', we watch TV programmes if they support a learning topic we are doing or we have a dvd if the kids having a treat. The little ones may watch a programme on 'kids' as i'm tidying up after lunch before our 'outing'.

I have the problem that my own kids want to watch TV when they come home from school (14yrs &10yrs) and they do not have tv in their room's so they have to watch it downstairs and with BFBS TV the kids channel turns off at 6pm so if they don't watch it straight away they miss it! great juggling required!!

Beenletloose
06-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Thanks Tina o
That is what i was thinking, letting them watch a little telly, while i tidy up and get a bag packed to go out, do potty visits etc.

I have cbeebies so it would always be a kids programme, i have a 3 year old that loves telly so gona be a bit difficult i think to balance it out.

I too have a 14 year old, and he does a a telly in his room, but sometimes he does come in and starts watching older kids programmes and that's when the problem starts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

babs
07-10-2010, 09:34 AM
i have my tv on at moment but its always music channels as stereo in for repair...... it funny watching the lo's dance to videos :laughing: :laughing:

daisychain0208
10-10-2010, 09:17 AM
I have the tv on for maybe an hour a day tops. Usually when I am feeding babies bottles etc and i like to watch the lunchtime news (well the headlines).

Also my afterschoolies like the tv on or play a game on the playstation which I do allow as most of the time they have been working/playing hard all day and by the time we get home they are shattered and they want to chill out rather than play with 2 yr olds!!