PDA

View Full Version : Deposits

TillyTwinkle
08-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Hi,

Im back again seeking more advice/opinions!!

A friend of mine (also a childminder) suggested that I ask parents for a deposit prior to admission, as last year I was unfortunate enough to have a parent who just disappeared without paying her final week. (I now ask to be paid monthly in advance for this reason!)

The deposit is not in conjunction with retainers as providing one months notice is given to end the contract, the money is refunded.

I know this is done at most nurseries and my friend does it herself, but I was wondering if anyone else also did it?

Tilly.xx

jmoff
08-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Hi

I charge 2 weeks' notice...it is refundable at the end of our contract or non refundable if they decide not to take the place up.

Hope that helps.

Oh and I get paid in advance.

Jana x

miffy
08-04-2008, 05:30 PM
Sorry can't help you there - I do not hold deposits - not sure about the law on this because there was some hooha over solicitors holding deposits on houses and keeping interest for themselves so be careful

Miffy xx

TillyTwinkle
08-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Hi

I charge 2 weeks' notice...it is refundable at the end of our contract or non refundable if they decide not to take the place up.

Hope that helps.

Oh and I get paid in advance.

Jana x

Thanks Jana, its good to know someone else out there also takes a deposit. Feel happier now asking for one, and think i'll do the same as you if they don't take up the place (if you dont mind!!) I know from when my daughter was at nursery that they put it down as an enrolment fee - do you put anything to this effect?

Tilly.xx:confused:

TillyTwinkle
08-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Sorry can't help you there - I do not hold deposits - not sure about the law on this because there was some hooha over solicitors holding deposits on houses and keeping interest for themselves so be careful

Miffy xx

The deposit money would just be kept in an envelope in my safe,rather than the bank (know i wont spend it that way!) so wouldn't be gaining any interest anyway!! But see what you are getting at. :)

Tilly.xx

Tily Bud
08-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Whenever ive charged a deposit it has been taken off the first months fees xx

Rubybubbles
08-04-2008, 06:48 PM
Whenever ive charged a deposit it has been taken off the first months fees xx

same here

I know some people charge an admin fee on here

jmoff
08-04-2008, 07:00 PM
Thanks Jana, its good to know someone else out there also takes a deposit. Feel happier now asking for one, and think i'll do the same as you if they don't take up the place (if you dont mind!!) I know from when my daughter was at nursery that they put it down as an enrolment fee - do you put anything to this effect?

Tilly.xx:confused:

Tilly, I have NCMA contracts and you can fill in that you have taken a deposit.
I do also say it is refundable at the end of our contract after adjustments...basically, take the deposit off their last payment.No one has had a problem with this.

Jana x

Twinkles
08-04-2008, 07:07 PM
I also take the deposit off the first months fees.

TillyTwinkle
08-04-2008, 07:16 PM
Tilly, I have NCMA contracts and you can fill in that you have taken a deposit.
I do also say it is refundable at the end of our contract after adjustments...basically, take the deposit off their last payment.No one has had a problem with this.

Jana x

Sorry Jana, another quesion for you, and probably a really obvious one!

You said before that you keep the deposit if they dont take up the space, but if i use the NCMA contract and mark it on the contract, then aren't the parents legally bound by then? Or do you offer a settling in period for which if they leave during you keep the deposit?

Just need to get my head around it all before I put anything on paper or incase parents question it!!

Tilly.xx

jmoff
08-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Sorry Jana, another quesion for you, and probably a really obvious one!

You said before that you keep the deposit if they dont take up the space, but if i use the NCMA contract and mark it on the contract, then aren't the parents legally bound by then?

Just need to get my head around it all before I put anything on paper or incase parents question it!!

Tilly.xx

Oh Tilly, somebody else will have to help me out here as I may be wrong :)

Some parents do sign the contract but change their mind before their child is due to start...it has not happend to me ..yet...
Legally...I dont think NCMA will help out unless you are owed more than £ 100? or around that amount.

Or do you offer a settling in period for which if they leave during you keep the deposit?

...I am not actually sure about this one...I hope this won't happen to me!

Hopefully somebody else will be able to answer this one.

Jana xx