PDA

View Full Version : Excuses excuses...

em29
04-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Ok well both my mindees (24mths and 19 mths), have been having runny nappies over the weekend but both parents swearing blind that they are NOT ill.
Mindee A's parents say - oh she had too much fruit and is teething but she is eating and fine. Will hold off fruit and see how she is (but supply a large tub of sultanas for lunch :rolleyes: #.
Mindee B's parents say oh well he had 6 poos yesterday but it is because he had 6 slices of birthday cake and loads of sweets - he will back to normal tomorrow....
:angry: I have said I cannot take if poorly and they argue the toss that they are not. I was thinking at pick up to announce a day of closure due to 2 x mindees having runny bums but obviously I do not think that I should have to lose out on the money ( i charge for sick days) but they are insisting their lo's are well. Both are eating but quiet and have had 2/ 3 runny watery nappies. No temperature etc so I can see why parents are trying their luck...They have me over a barrell.

Roseolivia
04-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Ring and tell them to pick up, why should you change runny nappies and probably end up ill yourself, tell them they can't come tomorrow.

Pipsqueak
04-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Tell them HPA advice is for the protection of everyone in the setting and you will be abiding by it. 48hrs clear from the LAST bout of upset.

Explain - that if you come down with it - EVERYONE looses childcare - IF it then goes round your family it could be over a week everyone is without childcare and you loose your income.
If it goes through to other minded children and THEIR families then they aren't going to be very happy.

They don't have you over a barrel - you just stick to your guns. if they turn up and lie to you - refuse to care for the child, if they drop and run and you discover poopy bums - call the parent - if they won't collect start on the emergency contacts.

Send out a newsletter and a stern warning reminding them. Enclose HPA advice.

Its true - it could be down to teething/fruit/blah blah and of course we have to use our discretion but it sounds like they are being very unfair on you.

georgie456
04-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Grrr this makes me so cross!!!!!
I had one once who announced an hour after he was dropped off that he had been throwing up all weekend "but mummy told me it was a secret!!!" :angry:

They don't have you over a barrel because you have a sickness policy that they are not adhering to. However, I do understand that it is easy in principle but not so easy in practice. BUT you need to stick to your policy and the HPA advice - as a pp had already said, they will soon be complaining if you are forced to be off sick and then they won't have any childcare. They need to think about the fact there are other children in the setting who could become ill as a result - it is very selfish.

I would be re-iterating your policy and as they have had runny nappies with you today, I would be asking them to collect their children and not come back until it has cleared up.

Millenium
04-10-2010, 02:01 PM
It is tricky with a runny nappy especially if there is no raised temperature or any other symptom.

I have two children who bring their own food and all they consume is fruit and vegetables with just a very small amount of meat. They tend to be filling their nappies/using the loo all day long!! The 3 year old has arrived with a whole punnet of raspberries today for her pudding after a lunch that was home-made vegetable moussaka with as much tomato and aubergine in it for an adult. Her "tea" is a pot of olives with some ciabatta bread!!

I do find quite a few of the little ones do not seem to cope too well on dried fruit and noting the comment about "birthday cake" am not surprised. One of my mindees was two last week and the following day, the Mum arrived with huge slices of rich fruit birthday cake for the other children. It was indeed lovely cake and they all enjoyed it and cleared their plates of it after their lunch but the inevitable results were soon evident at the other end within a couple of hours!!

Is this the first time the parents have claimed they are not well or it is a repeated situation? If it was diet-related and they have had a more normal diet today then tomorrow they will have hopefully settled down. However, maybe a "warning message" to the Mum on pick up tonight that if there is any indication of ongoing problems in the morning, she should not bring them.

Bushpig
04-10-2010, 02:14 PM
A mum arrived with her child this am and said he had had diarroah yesterday... and I said 'I am afraid I have to implement my 48 hour D&V Exclusion Policy' She understood and apologised for not thinking of it herself. I excluded another boy a few weeks ago for vomiting in the am.

Same rules apply for ALL children. I am just relieved they let me know re it. The last thing I need is to get another bug myself (had D&V bug already in Sept) from one of the parents, and lost out on fees there obviously, but my chief concern is the kids.

Stick by your rules and policies :thumbsup:

snufflepuff
04-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Oh this makes me so cross. Selfish, inconsiderate people.
My son was ill on his first birthday thanks to a parent lying and telling me her daughter had been better for more than 48 hours. We had to cancel his party, the poor lad could hardly move. The rest of the family caught it too.
I'm very strict about it and have given them all a HPA poster but if parents are lying there not much we can do except send the child home once we realise- but of course it could be too late by then.

em29
04-10-2010, 03:03 PM
well after both kids have slept for 3 hours or more i have sent one home. It all comes out then....dad is now not well. Mindee A has been sleeping loads and off colour all weekend - mum was not surprised and she apologised for sending her.:angry:
Mindee b has pooed again - waiting until mum finishes at school...have messaged her and have told parents i am closed tomorrow and wednesday. Will let you know what will be said by mindee B's mum...:panic:

Pipsqueak
04-10-2010, 03:16 PM
I wouldn't have said you are closed - I would have said you are not accepting ill children.

Depends what you have in your policy but what about them paying you. I have that payment is due even if the child is off sick (including if I have sent them home), no payment if I have to close the setting.

I would now write a stern letter to both/all parents explaining that you cannot and willnot accept ill children and it is unfair of parents to expect you to care for ill children. You are not a nurse.

You are now losing your income due to inconsiderate and thoughtless people.

blue bear
04-10-2010, 03:19 PM
When I spoke to NHS direct they said it does not matter why they have runny nappies, it will still bring out all the germs from their tummies and can cause problems for others. Runny nappy = exlcusion for 48 hours after last nappy cake or no cake!!!

em29
04-10-2010, 03:30 PM
Hi pip - i worded it like this "I will close the setting due to child sickness..obviously something going round when more than one has a bad tummy". They will pay! After she told me all that i thought 'no more mr nice guy!'! Still waiting for mindee B's mum.

em29
04-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Sorry - posted too soon...I will say to mindee B's mum - I cannot accept B until 48 hrs after last awful nappy! Thanks everyone

em29
04-10-2010, 04:02 PM
Mindee B's mum just collected and was understanding as she said she has been feeling a little off today as well. Phew - no confrontation thankfully! Thanks everyone for your support!! :)

jumpinjen
04-10-2010, 05:26 PM
I don't argue the toss about them being ill or not.... I say if runny poo then no come as it increases the risk of passing infection to others. Besides runny poo can be the first sign of illness before a raised temp and it's too late if you keep all day.... I made that mistake once and regretted it!!!!

Jen x

flowerpots
04-10-2010, 05:50 PM
SEND THEM HOME! i have had s & d twice in 1 month due to 1 mum saying that its 'normal' for her lo to have runny nappies! :-(

karen m
04-10-2010, 06:36 PM
luckily i have never had this problem while minding ,must say though that my youngest (now 18) never had a "normal nappy"he had a immune deficency until he was put on medication at 4 ,so every nappy he had was runny although he was not ill