PDA

View Full Version : What 2 do?

claire85
04-10-2010, 09:00 AM
If a child in your care had an accident whilst on an outing would u take the children in the ambulance with you if there was no other alternative?

cs01
04-10-2010, 10:38 AM
If there is no other option then yes and would get parents of other children to meet me at the hospital, if I then needed to stay on at the hospital.

Polly2
04-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Personally I wouldn't because I feel I have a responsibility to the other children also. I would leave the injured child under the care of the paramedics, contact injured child's parents, arrange for the other children to be collected and then meet parents at hospital.

I have this in my emergency policy.

Joda
04-10-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm not sure if the paramedics would let you take other children in the ambulance?? Isn't there only 1 other seat with a seatbelt in the back?? (I could be wrong).

littlestar
04-10-2010, 12:02 PM
i have a back up cm who lives 2 mins away but if she was unavallible i would take them yes im only allowed 2 under 5's so would only have one other

Pipsqueak
04-10-2010, 12:04 PM
Personally I wouldn't because I feel I have a responsibility to the other children also. I would leave the injured child under the care of the paramedics, contact injured child's parents, arrange for the other children to be collected and then meet parents at hospital.

Same here. it might not be possible to take all the children with you - for reasons of getting everyone in the ambulance for a start, you might be better following in your own vehicle if you have one.
Get care for the other children - back up minder, emergency carer, ring parents etc and then go to the hospital

Happy Bunny
04-10-2010, 12:43 PM
I had this problem as well, my daughter had a fit and i had to call the ambulance. I had one minded one with me and another of my children. The paramedic said i could take the minded one as there was enough space but not my other child, I had to leave him with a neighbour and call the minded parent on route.
If i hadn't been able to take the minded one i would have let the paramedics take my child and followed by taxi.

georgie456
04-10-2010, 01:35 PM

Agreed. I have the same in my policy.

sillysausage
04-10-2010, 01:36 PM
I'm pretty sure ambulances only allow one passenger so if you had any other children at all you wouldn't be able to go. It's can be best to follow in your own car so that you have a means of getting back.

Millenium
04-10-2010, 01:48 PM
Almost certainly you will have to leave the injuured child in the care of the professionals. Quite a lot of ambulances now request that anyone who needs to be with the patient follows in their own transport, even parents of young children. A paramedic friend of our has often said that they end up comforting the passenger more than the sick person, especially if the sick person has been sedated!!

Helen79
04-10-2010, 07:01 PM
I asked this at a my recent 1st aid training. They said that I'd have to let the injured child go in the ambulance alone and hope that the parent could get there.
I don't drive so wouldn't be able to follow the ambulance either.

crazyhazy
04-10-2010, 10:05 PM
I'm pretty sure only one person can go in the ambulance with the injured person. I'm lucky I suppose that I have a lot of family who live very nearby and my mindees all know them and their parents so would probably call on one of them to wait with the other mindees while they waited on their parents and go with the injured child.