PDA

View Full Version : Parents giving no notice of hours

phoebe-alice
04-10-2010, 08:05 AM
I have 2 mindees who are sisters which hours vary each week cause their mum works shifts, she gets her hours late on a Friday night every week, so usually sends me the hours she needs on the Saturday morning but recently I've noticed shes been sending me the hours later and later in the weekend.

I was waiting for them all day yesterday but no message came through, them at 7am I got a message with the hours and saying I'm working today. :angry:

Not a happy chappy, being woken up from a lovely sleep to find I'm working in an hours time with hardly any notice. Has anyone ever dealt with this before. I felt like saying I wouldn't have them but I knew she'd 'not get the message' and still bring them along anyway as its happened before. I don't think she realises I'm actually a person and have a life too. Wee bit fed up of all this nonesence now. :panic:

Ideas please guys? They would be very much appreciated, thanks Phoebe x x

porky1979
04-10-2010, 08:08 AM
I would tell mum that if she doesn't let you know by Saturday you will presume you are not having them. It is not fair on you at all. Good luck

MAWI
04-10-2010, 08:25 AM
I would ask her to confirm by midday saturday by e-mail or phone, otherwise, you will assume you are not required on monday am. Its a bit unfair. I would be so annoyed if that happened to me.
Good luck

shelie011
04-10-2010, 08:25 AM
Thats not fair at all. You should have text back saying you werent in today as you had presumed she didnt need you, with her not texting. And as for her not recieving the text, just stay in bed and dont answer the door!!!!!!:angry:
In reality though i suppose you really will need to speak to her and say that she has to let you know by saturday evening or a late notice fine will be applied???

crazyhazy
04-10-2010, 08:31 AM
I have a similar set up with one of my parents but we have agreed she will let me know the hours I'm needed on a friday weekly as this is when she finds out her shifts. I would explain to parent that you need them by 12 on saturday at the latest in order for you to plan for the week ahead x

~Chelle~
04-10-2010, 08:58 AM
I would ask her to confirm by midday saturday by e-mail or phone, otherwise, you will assume you are not required on monday am. Its a bit unfair. I would be so annoyed if that happened to me.
Good luck

:thumbsup: Exactly what I would do x

caz3007
04-10-2010, 09:37 AM
I do the same with one of my LO's and if mum hasnt text me by lunchtime on a saturday I text her to remind her. She is young and rather scatty, so make allowances. He doesnt usually come until 2 on a Monday anyway, or hasnt for a while, bet it changes at some point soon though

Lady Haha
04-10-2010, 09:52 AM
I have two mindees (seperate families) whose mum's shift change weekly and they don't know til the Friday before also.

I text them both on Sunday lunchtime to find out days for the following week as I know they would forget to text me! I think they wait for my text now and then let me know! I'd rather know sooner, but if it's system they can grasp, then I'll leave it!!!:laughing:

georgie456
04-10-2010, 01:13 PM
I have 2 mindees who are sisters which hours vary each week cause their mum works shifts, she gets her hours late on a Friday night every week, so usually sends me the hours she needs on the Saturday morning but recently I've noticed shes been sending me the hours later and later in the weekend.

I was waiting for them all day yesterday but no message came through, them at 7am I got a message with the hours and saying I'm working today. :angry:

Not a happy chappy, being woken up from a lovely sleep to find I'm working in an hours time with hardly any notice. Has anyone ever dealt with this before. I felt like saying I wouldn't have them but I knew she'd 'not get the message' and still bring them along anyway as its happened before. I don't think she realises I'm actually a person and have a life too. Wee bit fed up of all this nonesence now. :panic:

Ideas please guys? They would be very much appreciated, thanks Phoebe x x

That is very rude to leave it that late - mum is making a big assumption that you have nothing else to do with your time.

If it was me, I would be stipulating that if I do not have confirmation of hours by 12 noon on the Saturday I would presume that I am not needed.

Being the difficult so and so that I am (;) ) I would have made sure I wasn't around today to stress the point.

karen m
04-10-2010, 07:06 PM
i have parent like this ,thursday she told me did not need me friday would let me no friday night times for this week,normally arrives at 6,after horrendous weekend head gasket blew on car only had it 5 weeks,so 10 last night still no message i texed her and was told not needed today fine and she would let me no today about rest of week still waiting,just annoys me because if i get up at 5 ready for him at 6 and he does not arrive ,so annoying :angry:

The Juggler
04-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Min 24 hours notice to work or you will not. Cancellations are chargeable in full as they are booked.

No negotiation.;)

Hebs
05-10-2010, 05:47 AM
i have a family like this and despite repeatdly asking they would never see fit to inform me,

i gave notice......

they have no respect for my job otherwise they could inform me with problems BUT funnily they have given me all the days i'm needed during the 4 weeks notice period :rolleyes:

Mykidsrock
05-10-2010, 07:55 AM
I would recommend a contract review meeting with mum and put it as a claus in your contract (don't know which ones you use but mine have a separate paragraph for 'any other comments/business') and I would mark on her contract that you need to know your working hours for the forthcoming week by no later than 1800 (or a time to suit yourself) on the Saturday PRIOR to the forthcoming week. If no notice is given of your working hours, you cannot be guaranteed to be available on hours you are needed and they may still be chargeable. I would then explain that this allows you to plan for her children such as activities etc and also plan your own life for when you are not working.

Mum certainly would not accept her boss calling her or texting her at 0700 on the morning of work to say 'oh by the way your working today' so why should you?

Good luck

Jess x

leeloo1
12-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Mmmm, sympathies from me. I had a similar conversation a month ago with one of my parents - they were v apologetic and agreed to let me know the time they needed to start the day before...

Last night they didn't let me know... then sent me a text just before 6am, which woke me up, this morning to tell me she'd be coming at 9.30!! :( I'd set the alarm for 7 as I hadn't heard from them, so as to be ready just in case she did come early - so I got an hour's less sleep than even the early start would have been! Consequently I am ratty and have a bad headache today and am super p'd off with parents.

... although on the other hand I am sympathetic that mum must have been getting up for work at 5.45 to have texted me then...