PDA

View Full Version : Explaining why we charge for school holidays

Noomie
03-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Hi,
I have a parent who wants her children to start but wants term time only. She has queried why they still pay when the holidays are on and I have been struggling to write an explanation.

Any one know how I can word it?

Thanks in advance

Pipsqueak
03-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Because that is the way you choose to run your business. end of story

If you need an explanation:

it is also to do with - keeping the space open come back round term time. You may get an enquiry for someone who wants term and holiday times - if you didn't charge retainer then you, as a sensible business person would perhaps go with the one who earns you most money.
By charging a retainer the parent can use the space - with adequate notice (make sure you agree what this period will be in writing) and will just pay the remainder top up fee.

Noomie
03-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Thanks Pip. Managed it now. See how it goes down.

youarewhatyoueat
04-10-2010, 12:28 PM
I do term time only and charge extra per hour instead of a retainer, you could always suggest that if she's not keen on a retainer, and then that leaves you open to take on a holiday child instead.

Chatterbox Childcare
04-10-2010, 01:57 PM
I have term time only contracts and them holiday contracts.

If I was to ask for a retainer I would say to the parent that it is to keep the space open as you are open for 52 weeks of the year. If they do not pay the retainer then you cannot guarantee the space.

nokidshere
05-10-2010, 07:09 AM
I just tell them that they are welcome not to pay for the space but there is no guarantee they will have one on their return from holidays.

Noomie
05-10-2010, 09:05 PM
They agreed to it in the end. Now the hours are reduced that they need my care except for when mum's on placement (see other post about whether I'm taking the mick). So I have also said must pay a retainer for those spots.

May give it a miss in the end!

Andrea08
05-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Hi,

personaly i have term time only families and because that is what they are contracted to that is what i charge and its up to me if i take on term time only or not... as an accredited cm at point of entry we are not allowed to charge parents any more than the free 15hrs grant unless parents want more hrs at which i charge separatly.

when a family look for childcare they tell us the days n hrs needed and thats what they want and what they will get help with costs for, not hidden charges for days not wanted

we can not charge a family for a bank holiday if the family dont use us on mondays... if a family only want 3 days a week for 50 wks do you charge them for the other 2 days?

yes we loose money for the school holidays if we dont fill the places but i would not like to book a 2 wk holiday and be charged a 50 week retainer to keep that 2 weeks.

if you sign a contract you can not give that place away to any family unless you give 4 weeks notice to end contract. it is legaly binding on both sides to protect us and families.

sorry but thats just my slant on it as a cm and a parent xxx

Noomie
06-10-2010, 09:01 AM
That's an interesting point and you're right, no one would pay a retainer for 50 weeks. That would be insane. It is the school holidays and also before and after school places she also wants me to keep available. I'm sorry but I want to work and have my spaces filled, not sitting vacant for 13 weeks of the year (a lot of time to not be making money) and 2 afternoon and mornings vacant except for the odd few weeks she chooses to use them.

As a parent who is a teacher, I had to pay for school holidays. My pay keeps going through the holidays, it doesn't stop. My childminder could have taken on a different parent who didn't get 13 weeks holiday a year, only 4. By taking us on she could have potentially done herself out of 9 weeks pay if she didn't charge. At £1000 / month that is a lot of money.

Andrea08
06-10-2010, 02:02 PM
mmmm its difficult to get a happy medium that protects the cm and her income and the parents rights for fare charges,,

atm if a parent contracts for term time only esp on the grant then at point of entry i am by law not allowed to charge any extra xx