PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Cards

Carpet Monkeys
03-10-2010, 04:02 PM
I''m in the process of designing my own emergency cards and have a couple of questions!

I mind identical twins (6yrs), they have one thing I've noticed that can differentiate between them, would it be worth while putting this down on the emergency card as an additional note?

Also, would you put the childs christian name only, or initial and surname?

sarah707
03-10-2010, 04:28 PM
I have spoken to lots of people about emergency cards / emergency information which we carry.

There are those who say you must not put photos and you shouldn't put too much information etc.

Then there are others who say if you are going to carry them then they must allow the emergency services to be able to care for the child in an emergency!!

There's little point in having an emergency card which says 'Paul uses an inhaler' and 'John is allergic to antibiotics' if the medics can't work out which child is Paul and which is John and they are all too traumatised or injured after an accident to speak.

Similarly if they are ringing a busy 3000 person company like some local to here and you haven't included surnames how do they find 'Eileen' with a child called 'Jack' through a switchboard?

Based on this advice I now carry photocopies of the emergency forms with photos on the back ... so there! :laughing: :D

rickysmiths
03-10-2010, 04:53 PM
I agree with Sarah, you need enough info to identify the child or it isn't much help.

I have used various cards etc over the years.

I now carry a mini photo book. Pages are 3 1/4" (8.5cm) by 2 1/2" (6.5cm). It is one that has pockets in it.

I have all my details and emergency contacts for me, including my childrens names, what school they attend and what year group they are in with a photo of all of us.

I have a photo of each child. A mini permission slip signed by the parent for emergency care, taking to hospital etc. I am about to add a sheet with a list of all my permissions, for outtings, travel in the car etc. etc., and have that signed. I have a sheet with the childs name, dob, days and times they would normally be with me and contact details for those named on the emergency contact list I have on the childs info form.

It has never had to be put to use, but surely every child should be identifiable if a situation were to occur?

All my mindees know about my 'blue' book as well, it is part of my teaching them what would happen in an emergency if we were out. They know I have at the very least in my pocket, on the buggy or in my bag, the blue book, my phone and my keys. That way hopefully they could tell someone if anything happened to me.

candy cat
04-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Mrs O told me not to do these for the children as info on them shouldn't be carried outside...i just have a card in my car with my photo and that i am a CM etc and my partners number...he will then contact the parents.

rickysmiths
04-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Mrs O told me not to do these for the children as info on them shouldn't be carried outside...i just have a card in my car with my photo and that i am a CM etc and my partners number...he will then contact the parents.

How so as it EYFS is a must under the Welfare Requirements on us taking Emergency Contact info for all children when we go out along with at least signed permission to seek emergency medical care by a doctor or to go to hospital and for the outting we are on?

karensmart4
04-10-2010, 06:39 PM
I carry a small index card type book with me, each page has a small photo of child, dob, 3 emergency nos, any allergies, Dr name & number and on the back it has a signed statment from parent for emergency meds.

In the front it states that I am a cm and the children with me may not be my own, If anything happens to me please contact.....

Mrs O was pleased that I had it when she inspected last week :)