PDA

View Full Version : Feeling useless!

ZoeGrace10
03-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Hi all

Im new and have been minding for about 2 months now.

My numbers are slowly increasing which is great money wise but im feeling overwhelmed and wondering if i can do this.

I have a 19 month old son and currently mind another little one of a smiliar age and 2 older children before and after school. I have 2 other siblings due to start with me in the next few months.

I feel swammped by the amount of paper work, when i think im on top of it all i spot something else that i need to write up.

Also one of my parents can be really testing. Im young compared to may minders in my area. I dont have a mansion but i do have a lovely home that is clean and tidy and i try to make inviting to the mindees and parents. I feel the parent plays on the fact im young and presumes she knows all there is to know about looking after children...when im sure no one actuallly does :o)

I am well qualifed and have a lot of experiance in the early years. But my confidence is on the decrease and i could do with a boost.

Any advice from all you wonderful minders out there??

Thank you x

Polly2
03-10-2010, 03:35 PM
First of all you are not useless!!

Its tough starting out and can seem overwhelming at times. I remember I used to eat sleep and breathe childminding (drove my dh mad!!) but now i have a balance - well most of the time!

My advice woudl be to keep thinking professionally. You are a childcare profesional and you do have lots of knowledge and experience but as you say - no one knows it all as all children are individuals.

I emphasise to parents that they are the experts on THEIR child. It sometimes smoothes over situations ;) but that doesn't mean you play yourself down or that they are experts on every child or every situation. You are working along with parents and doing a great job :thumbsup:

Don't be too hard on yourself xx

Roseolivia
03-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Don't let any parent make you feel worthless in your own home. The fact that you are getting children goes to show you are doing something right. Have you made some other minder friends or go to playgroups, you may find that helps.

ZoeGrace10
05-10-2010, 08:10 PM
Thank you!!

That is really helpful. Feeling a littler calmer now :o)
Im still trying to network a bit and get to know other minders. There is a childminder group down the road...maybe should make an apperance.

Thank you again xx

Pixie dust
05-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Im still trying to network a bit and get to know other minders. There is a childminder group down the road...maybe should make an apperance

After childminding for a year I decided to go and visit my local childminding group, They made me feel so welcome which put me at ease as I had heard all the horror stories about groups. They have given me lots of help and advice. Minding can be a lonely job.