PDA

View Full Version : Need some help organising 'messy' activities

Mcgons
03-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Just been looking back on my notes on what the children have been doing, and I don't think I give them the opportunity to do enough activities that are a bit messy. Such as messy play (like gloop etc), playdough, painting, cutting & sticking etc. I think its prob because they don't ask for it out and it also takes a bit of time to get set up, get the children covered up, and then clean it all up again!

My day is busy with school and nursery runs, so time is a bit limited so I'm just wondering how I could fit it in my day, and how often should I be doing these activities with them?

miss mopple
03-10-2010, 02:48 PM
How abou setting up some cleaner messy play as part of your continuous provision,such as a tough spot/garden tray with coloured rice/oats/cornflakes etc in. My kids love that and it keeps them entertained for hours.

For more crafty type stuff I have just bought a new wheeled trolley that I have filled with craft resources suitable for tiddly ones that they can help themselves to. I wheel it in the lounge and leave it by the table, or wheel it in the garden if we are outside and if they want to do craft they help themselves. I also have a big flexi tub full of junk modelling out all the time that they can use if they like.

I dont leave paint etc out all the time but do schedule that in, and we often go to a messy play group (so no mess for me to clean up :thumbsup: )

Kes
03-10-2010, 03:01 PM
I have a washing up bowl that is for paint pots etc. Once we have done an activity I get the bowl out throw all the pots and brushes etc in fill with soapy water and leave to wash up when I have time.
For things like lentils etc I have an ikea trofast tray with a lid and keep them in there so it just sits on top of a cupboard and I get it out when I fancy.

Mcgons
03-10-2010, 03:16 PM
How abou setting up some cleaner messy play as part of your continuous provision,such as a tough spot/garden tray with coloured rice/oats/cornflakes etc in. My kids love that and it keeps them entertained for hours.

For more crafty type stuff I have just bought a new wheeled trolley that I have filled with craft resources suitable for tiddly ones that they can help themselves to. I wheel it in the lounge and leave it by the table, or wheel it in the garden if we are outside and if they want to do craft they help themselves. I also have a big flexi tub full of junk modelling out all the time that they can use if they like.

I dont leave paint etc out all the time but do schedule that in, and we often go to a messy play group (so no mess for me to clean up :thumbsup: )

Thanks for the ideas.

I have a tuff spot so can try the dried foods, do you have something like this set up every day or just once a week?

I have a wheeled set of drawers for crafts, but not everything is suitable for smaller ones so could have a sort out but my dd (nearly 2) just empties things all over the floor and I'm constantly tidying up after her so would have to supervise it a bit!

Is your junk modelling items like boxes and pots etc to glue together? I have collected items in a box in my garage but never had it out:blush:

We have a great early years centre near us that has a huge room set up with resources for all areas and interests, its full of everything you could imagine and it's great for ideas. I'd love to have a set up like that so the children are free to choose but I haven't got room to have everything set up at once!

Mouse
03-10-2010, 03:18 PM
I have lots of big, square ice cream tubs that I use for messy play. Each child has a tub & I'll squirt some shaving foam & paint into it and let them mix it round. I'll put 2 colours of paint, such as red & yellow, so when they mix it, it turns orange. The shaving foam foams up & makes a good gloopy mess.
And because it's in individual pots, it's easier to clean up in the sink, unlike the big tough spot that takes a lot more cleaning.

If I am using the tough spot or a bigger tray, I put paper in the bottom first. For the tough spot I have got paper that fits in it, but you can just use some cheap wallpaper. When we've finished I lift the paper out & thow it, and the mess, straight into the bin. I've still got to wipe the tray down, but at least most of the mess is gone.

miss mopple
03-10-2010, 03:59 PM
My junk modelling box has allsorts in it- things like:

boxes
tubes
lids from jars
pegs
material scraps
lolly sticks
feathers
trays (like the ones that meat comes in from the supermarket)
yoghurt pots
ribbons
shells

anything that looks interesting really. I put rolls of sticky tape and masking tape in there too, and in the top tray of my drawers there are gluesticks the kids can use. If they want pva then I get it out for them, but they use the other available stuff freely. Sometimes they use it to model, sometimes they use it for props for small world play/roleplay :)

In my roller drawers I have

gluesticks and safety scissors at the top
sheets of card (cut up cereal boxes usually) and paper
stickers
safe collage stuff like milk bottle lids, sticks, bigger pom poms, ribbon, fabric scraps
comics for cutting
tissue paper for tearing or sticking
bubblewrap
crayons/ chalk

again, anything that I think the kids will enjoy and that is safe for the ages of children I have.

If I set stuff up in the tough spot I leave it out all week. The children can then have the time to return to it and extend their play over time. Some days they may want to add cars and diggers, other days fairies, animals etc or spoons,tweezers- allsorts really

watgem
03-10-2010, 05:14 PM
we do flour in a cat litter tray quite a lot, its great for little ones, putting cars etc in, and just hoovers up and brushes off! also cat litter tray is good for mixing up odd bits off lentils, rice and pasta etc in,(make sure kids are old enough not to put it in their mouths and check for allergies)they love this and it tips straight into the food bin after:)

angiemog
03-10-2010, 07:10 PM
I use playdough, dried rice, lentils, cutting and sticking.......all these I don't put aprons on my mindees......
My mindees love shaving foam on a tray or play table, painting... I have a bowl of soapy water set up for them to wash their hands, I use yogurt pots and ready meal trays for the paint which I can throw straight in the bin. I sometimes put the tv on for 10 mins after a craft or messy play to give me time to tidy up.
I try to do a craft or messy play everyday some crafts only take 5mins for them to do. I definitely feel better when they have had a variety of activities in a day.
Depending on the times you are home....... I find the mornings are better for me first thing, or just before lunch, after nap times. On one day I have a baby that sleeps in the morning, this is a good time as it's one less littlie.
If I haven't got a craft ready then I'll just get out crayons and let them colour or draw.
All my mindees are just 2 or under so I tend not to have too much within their reach. Playdough, stickers, paper and crayons they can see so often they will ask or point to it. x