PDA

View Full Version : Cupboard Latches

bexcee
03-10-2010, 01:11 PM
We have just had a new kitchen fitted and my husband is about to put the cupboard latches on. If it wasn't for childminding I wouldn't bother as my youngest is 4 and knows what he is and isn't allowed to touch.

So my question is do I need them on every cupboard and drawer? Under the sink I keep cleaning materials etc so definately need one on there but the other lower cupboards contain:
1. Breakfast cereals, spreads and jam
2. storage boxes and dishes
3. baking trays and cake tins
4. saucepans
5. dried food in sealed boxes.

None of it is particulary hazadous but there is a risk of them pulling something out on top of them. They are never in the kitchen unattended and there is a stairgate across the kitchen.

Thanks for you help.

Chatterbox Childcare
03-10-2010, 01:18 PM
I haven't had these since my new kitchen and Ofsted were okay with it as the worst item down low was washing up liquid.

Again it is all about educating the children and justification to Ofsted if questioned

wendywu
03-10-2010, 01:18 PM
I only have them on a knife drawer and two cupboars that contain cleaning products . :)

candy cat
03-10-2010, 01:21 PM
I was told if you have risk assessed and the children are not allowed in kitchen unattended then it is ok.....ie I told mrs o on my pre inspection that i wanted my knife block out,but I have turned it around as it still has to be a working family kitchen and she was fine about that....I do have locks under sink and alcohol cupboard only because I have a 2 year old......In my opinion it depends on mrs o and what she is hot on and they are all different!! cx

angiemog
03-10-2010, 01:21 PM
I only have them on a knife drawer and two cupboars that contain cleaning products . :)

This is where mine are too. x

bexcee
03-10-2010, 01:28 PM
Thanks everyone, he has done the one under the sink and is about to put up a magnetic strip on the wall for the sharp kitchen knives. I think we will eave the rest of the cupboards as they are.