PDA

View Full Version : tv on or off?

jjoann212
03-10-2010, 12:57 AM
Hi!
Just wondering, is it ok to have c beebies on during the day?
My lot, my own daughter who will be three in December, and two mindees, boy two and a half and girl one and a half, love c beebies, not to say they are glued to it but do like the songs and stuff that they show.
As we go to toddler groups every morning I would say it is on from 11.30-1pm, they go for their nap then and I sit in the peace and quiet until 3pm when we do the school run.
The tv goes back on at 4pm and they are picked up at 5pm, the parents don't seem to mind?
Would the ofsted inspector mind or will this be frowned upon?

Millenium
03-10-2010, 08:20 AM
That would certainly be a lot more that I would use the TV. I do sometimes use the TV but not every day - it tends to be immediately after lunch prior to the children having their sleep. I just use it for a bit of "wind-down" time - maybe 15 or 20 minutes where they can sit quietly and then go off for the nap.

sweets
03-10-2010, 08:22 AM
my tv is only on when we are sitting down and watching it, if its on in the background all day then i find that children dont really get anything from it.

sarah707
03-10-2010, 08:22 AM
We sometimes watch a little TV - half an hour maybe - if the children are tired after a busy morning.

They all like Mr Tumble so I plan around that.

However this is maybe once a week, no more.

The rest of the time the children are playing and getting involved in planned activities or having fun in the garden.

There isn't time to watch TV!

Ofsted will be ok with planned educational TV on at times during the day which serve a purpose and support the children's learning and development.

Other times they will expect the children to be involved in child initiated and adult led play as required by the Eyfs. :D

curlycathy
03-10-2010, 08:29 AM
I think its fine as long as they are not glued to it all the time. We watch it and DVDs too - generally Barney singing or anything with lots of singing and dancing (which usually ends up with them all howling with laughter at my dancing attempts lol!!!). Some days it might be on a lot, some days hardly at all and some days not at all.

I wouldnt worry about it - as long as the children are learning and you can show other stuff you are doing, and the parents are OK with it. TV is not the evil being in the corner and children can learn a lot from it. We had a very long talk about difference from that presenter who doesnt have a hand.

I know someone who had an inspector in - went to turn it off and the inspector told her to leave it on if the children liked it. Got graded good.

Hth xx

snufflepuff
03-10-2010, 08:33 AM
I have the TV on first thing in the morning while mindees arrive and thats usually about it. That is mainly because if it is not on my schoolie mindee will get out every toy possible, even though he is only here for less than 30 mins, then is really slow at tidying them away so I have to leave the mess to get to school on time. With the TV on he doesn't often go to the toys.
I sometimes switch it on later in the day if the kiddies are getting a bit fractious- they will sit for 10 mins and calm down then we can get on with playing.

Hebs
03-10-2010, 09:02 AM
i have my tv on all day, normally on a radio channel

it was on the entire time mrs O was here doing my inspection she never said anything bad (was noted in report as it helps speech by singing along to familiar songs!)

i think it is unnatural to be in a totally silent environment, even my sons school plays music via a tannoy in the corridor

venus89
03-10-2010, 09:15 AM
i think it is unnatural to be in a totally silent environment, even my sons school plays music via a tannoy in the corridor

But will they have music during exams?

I only have it on maybe once a week or fortnight. There's never any time otherwise. Winding down is usually stories after lunch, before their naps or rest times. I'd always sit and watch the TV with them, and it's either CBeebies or wildlife programmes.

Hebs
03-10-2010, 09:25 AM
But will they have music during exams?

i think they do, its not loud and it's been proven to help concentration x

mushpea
03-10-2010, 09:29 AM
we never have it on during the day as they dont sit and watch it so I dont see the point, i will put it on after school if they ask but only if they are going to watch it,,, i had a new schoolie start last week and she asked for the tv on, watched it for 5mins and then ran off to play so i turned it off, she then couldnt understand why i had turned it off but i fail to see the point of it being on if no-ones watching it,, you can always have the radio on for back ground noise.

miss mopple
03-10-2010, 09:42 AM
I don't often have it on here. I use it as a treat and its far more effective that way as they sit and watch it.

I do have music on in the background during the day sometimes, although its usually nursery rhymes or other kids music. They like that :thumbsup:

Carol M
03-10-2010, 09:52 AM
I find I use programmes on cbeebies to support learning. Often programmes watched are linked to our current learning eg Harvest, weather and autumn.
I have 1 lo 2.5 yrs who askes for it on as soon as he gets here. He would sit and watch it all day if I left it on:(
I play cd's, either ones linked to learning or ones lo chooses. I love the radio stations too, you should see our Banghara dancing!! So music from all cultures is played and it's great fun. I had one budding air guitarist at 3 yrs old who just loved the Rock channel.
I never have tv on whilst doing activities and not at mealtimes. After schoolies I have seem to want to chill on setee and watch tv after homework is done and I find this perfectly ok.
Carol xx

Hebs
03-10-2010, 09:53 AM
I don't often have it on here. I use it as a treat and its far more effective that way as they sit and watch it.

I do have music on in the background during the day sometimes, although its usually nursery rhymes or other kids music. They like that :thumbsup:

there used to be a disney radio channel but they've taken it off now :(

clio0602
03-10-2010, 10:29 AM
We prob have cbeebies on about an hr a day in total atm usually about 20min at a time. I have also bought Muzzy so will prob have that on for 1/2 hr instead of cbeebies. The rest of thetime we have a cd on quietly in the background although I am hoping to get a classical type one for children but have no idea where to look for them lol x

juejue
03-10-2010, 11:32 AM
I think its fine as long as they are not glued to it all the time. We watch it and DVDs too - generally Barney singing or anything with lots of singing and dancing (which usually ends up with them all howling with laughter at my dancing attempts lol!!!). Some days it might be on a lot, some days hardly at all and some days not at all.

I wouldnt worry about it - as long as the children are learning and you can show other stuff you are doing, and the parents are OK with it. TV is not the evil being in the corner and children can learn a lot from it. We had a very long talk about difference from that presenter who doesnt have a hand.

I know someone who had an inspector in - went to turn it off and the inspector told her to leave it on if the children liked it. Got graded good.

Hth xx
I agree with curlycathy. We sometimes have dvd's on aswell. The children can learn at lot from it. As long as they are not watching it all day and parents are fine. Dont worry.
I to know someone who had a inspector and tv was on. she was told it was fine.

Mouse
03-10-2010, 11:41 AM
In my playroom I only have an old TV/video player that doesn't get any channels, so it's only used for the occassional video.

I'll maybe put it on for a few minutes while I get lunch ready, or sometimes to chill out to on a wet, miserable afternoon. We have a lot of children's music/dancing videos & will sometimes put one of those on, get the instruments out & play and dance along. We'll use it more as an activity, than sitting down to watch, IYSWIM.

wendywu
03-10-2010, 01:26 PM
I will put it on after school. Some of the older ones will sit and watch for half an hour while i dish up dinner.

Some days they watch it some days they dont. Sometimes they will ask for a DVD on the rare occasion they can ALL agree on one then i will put it on for them.

One of my fondest memories is sitting with my mum on the sofa watching the Wooden Tops, in black and white :eek: :thumbsup:

blue bear
03-10-2010, 02:02 PM
I am happy for TV to go on, it just doesn't happen very often, children are all part time and are eager to play and investigate things on offer, I presume it's because they have TV at home but don't have all the resources we have so they just don't think to ask for TV on.

One four year old (had from 11 weeks) once said to me after I put TV on for a poorly child waiting to be collectd "oh I thought your TV was broke!":laughing:

manjay
03-10-2010, 02:10 PM
We have it on as a planned activity. Mine are all into cooking so we watch I can cook most days. However it is taped so we watch it for quiet time after lunch.

I don't ever have it on on the background. All the research I have done recently shows that this type of background noise for preschoolers can delay language development as it detracts from them being able to hear what is being said by the adults.