PDA

View Full Version : Would you take a child immediately after their vaccinations?

susi513
08-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Following on from the threads about whether a childminder should agree to take a child for jabs, I wondered what everybody thinks about the period immediately afterwards?

Parents have always arranged this for days when their child isn't with me but one mum was planning to go into work late, having popped to have the jabs before coming straight to me. If I take her I'll be a nervous wreck worrying if she'll have a reaction. I'm not sure what to say to parent, am I being unreasonably overcautious to ask her to take a day or at least a half day off?

littlestar
08-04-2008, 11:57 AM
personally i think i would as long as they wernt distrressed annd upset i took my 1yr old for her jab tues she didnt even cry and never had a problem off her all day or that night every child is different try and get some background on what the child has been like after previouse jabs

Pudding Girl
08-04-2008, 12:02 PM
oooh hard one this - I admit I haven't thought much about it - I think I maybe wouldn't actually.

Pauline
08-04-2008, 12:06 PM
I think I would but would get the parents to sign that the child had just had their vaccination, probably on an incident form, just to cover it, and also say that they must be prepared to come back immediately if called and available by phone for the rest of the day. (Knowing how some switch their phones off!)

Kelly
08-04-2008, 12:10 PM
I think I would, like you said, the child could have a reaction, but most don't. I would probably just forewarn mum that should the child have a reaction or I was unhappy about anything that I would need to call her home.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Kelly

Rubybubbles
08-04-2008, 12:16 PM
both of my children came down with a mild viural after their jabs (dd was admited to hospital 2 days after her 2nd baby lot, and was put down to her jabs!) so I don't!

DD has her school MMR on Monday so I'm not sending her to pre-school for worry!

sarah707
08-04-2008, 12:58 PM
My dd was fine after all hers... Ds reacted to every one... one ended in a hospital dash! I am very wary about taking htem back the same day and do as Pauline advises, asking parents exactly where they will be, when they can get back, contact numbers for every minute of their days etc. :D

susi513
08-04-2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks. I've agreed with mum that in this instance shes going to take the day off and I won't charge her for that day.

My own children didn't have any reactions to any injections and I don't know anyone personally whose had any problem other than temperature, but I

I'm also very tired today, hard to make decisions! dh had a seizure at 4:44 am. I haven't managed to work out how to put him in the recovery position and still leave enough bed space for me to get back in. Hes fine now but his seizure pattern has been 3-4 a morning (not every morning thank god) so I was just on edge expecting another one.

susi513
08-04-2008, 01:06 PM
... but ... not sure what I was going to write there sorry! I'm not a lucky person. If anything is going to go wrong, it will go wrong for me :(

Like contacting parents - I usually have to leave a message on every b**dy phone number they've given me.