PDA

View Full Version : Garden plants

Tiisku
08-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Tring to think of everything ready for possible inspection tomorrow..

I have my own personal policy that upmostly this is my and my family's home. We live here. :p So the garden is how we want it and not how it should look in a day nursery.

When we go in the garden with children I'm there with them, and we talk about plants and letting them grow and not picking them, and about not touching them without asking me first. I have a few roses but in quite safe setting, so we look at them and the thorns and talk about not touching them that we won't hurt our fingers.

How are inspectors with plants? I suppose I will find out soon enough..:D

sarah707
08-04-2008, 11:36 AM
A friend has apple trees... as part of her risk assessment, she picks up the windfall every morning.

When she took the inspector outside, there was an apple on the floor.

The inspector marked her garden as unsafe and told her she must not use it for minding.

Depends on who you get! :D

Tiisku
08-04-2008, 12:07 PM
A friend has apple trees... as part of her risk assessment, she picks up the windfall every morning.

When she took the inspector outside, there was an apple on the floor.

The inspector marked her garden as unsafe and told her she must not use it for minding.

Depends on who you get! :D

UNBELIEVABLE !!! Apples are not poisonous for goodness sake. Unless if it's a decorative tree. What a cow. I have an apple tree, a pear tree, passionfruit, black and red currants and strawberries in mine. And I consider it a good thing. And then again, we are expected to supervise children, they would not be in the garden alone anyway ! I had a lovely pre-reg lady last year, I had buckets in the garden to collect rainwater and they had some water in when she came, I told her that I obviously empty all buckets as we go out to make sure children are safe, and she was happy with that. Sounds like some inspectors just want to pick on people to make themselves feel better.. I hope mine will be a nice one..

Pudding Girl
08-04-2008, 12:32 PM
I havea poisonous plants .pdf leaflet, can't attach it here, so pm me your email address if you want a copy - I can't remember where I found it now :rolleyes:

sarah707
08-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Great idea Lou! Here's a good one too... shows you have done your research! :D

http://www.rhs.org.uk/research/documents/c_and_e_harmful.pdf

Rubybubbles
08-04-2008, 01:08 PM
I havea poisonous plants .pdf leaflet, can't attach it here, so pm me your email address if you want a copy - I can't remember where I found it now :rolleyes:

I've got a list in the back of my standards

Your garden sounds lovely, can I come to you Tiis

Pudding Girl
08-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Thats the one Sarah, thanks :D

ma7ie
08-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Good luck with your inspection. :)

Tiisku
08-04-2008, 01:54 PM
Thanks everyone..

I don't want to sound cocky or anything like that with my attitude "they are my flowers" but this is our first good size garden and I really want it to look nice.. with the flowers I like, together with the fruit trees and shrubs.. I have two children of my own and a step-son and have never had any problems with them.. Also a lot of neighbours' kids are in and out of our garden at weekends and none of them have gone anywhere near the flowerbeds either..

I wonder sometimes how kids in these days are suppose to learn about things around them if they are only allowed to read about them and only see fruit on tesco's shelves? If I tell a child "don't ever touch spiky plants such as roses", how is s'he is supposed to know what it is without being shown one?

miffy
08-04-2008, 04:49 PM
I agree with you and if it comes up then you tell the inspector what you've told us - how you talk to the children about not touching the roses and why

Otherwise pray for rain and the inspector might just look through the windows at the garden :laughing:

Good luck

miffy xx

Tiisku
08-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Looking outside at the moment and it's looking promising rainwise....:laughing:

donnahay0
08-04-2008, 05:03 PM
At my last inspection (due one any time now, if they turn up before Sept) the inspector didn't even go out into the garden - she just looked through the window in the door - wasn't even raining.

Sounds as though this inspector must have got out of bed the wrong side on that particular day - it's outrageous. At least your garden has nice plants - mine, at the moment (just doing some plans, really excited) is just a bare patch of grass with a shed at the end and a ropy old fence - that inspector would have had a field day with it i'm sure - but the one I got just nodded and said that it was fine - how would she know she didn't take the time to look. (twas and is safe though).

avril
08-04-2008, 06:52 PM
I have rose trees and plants (none are poisonous as far as I know) the ofsted inspector said the garden was safe no problems.
A previous inspector said rose trees if a child pricks its fingers on the thorns it won't do it again!!! This surprised me :eek: :eek:

Avril x:)

Tiisku
08-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Amazing how different the inspectors can be !!

I have to admit that I have plants such as hyasints and tulips which don't do you good if you eat them but then again children are not rabbits or goats who randomly gobble anything, are they ! They look pretty in the garden and I am keeping my hawk eyes on kids out there anyway.:D

My kids have always just looked at and sniffed the flowers I have had..:huh:
One of our fence panels is down can't do a lot about it at the moment..

Twinkles
08-04-2008, 07:11 PM
I sometimes think these OFSTED inspectors are only allowed a certain amount of 'good' or 'outstanding' passes per week. So they make up utter c**p to keep their numbers straight.

Rubybubbles
08-04-2008, 07:18 PM
I sometimes think these OFSTED inspectors are only allowed a certain amount of 'good' or 'outstanding' passes per week. So they make up utter c**p to keep their numbers straight.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: how true that makes so much sense

miffy
09-04-2008, 06:08 AM

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: wouldn't surprise me at all!

miffy xx

Tiisku
09-04-2008, 05:10 PM
Well, the inspection is over and done with, with a "good" overall outcome.:)
Lady didn't comment on my choice of plants at all. Had a quick look around and seemed happy.

sarah707
09-04-2008, 05:20 PM
Well, the inspection is over and done with, with a "good" overall outcome.:)
Lady didn't comment on my choice of plants at all. Had a quick look around and seemed happy.

Congratulations! :clapping:

crazybones
09-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Well done. :clapping:

emler
09-04-2008, 06:30 PM
That's brilliant - well done :clapping:

Emler x

Ripeberry
22-07-2008, 09:33 AM
I've got so many plants, come have been inherited from the previous owner so i decided to get a nice friendly garden expert in and she went round the garden with me and to my horror she said that quite a lot of the plants were on the dangerous list and she also gave me advice on how to sort out some of the other plants that can cause rashes.
She is going to put it all in writting for me so then once i've dug up the ofending plants i can show OFSTED that i risk assesed my garden.
The rest of the garden is going to be fenced off anyway as i've got a pond and a veg patch with potatoes and rhubarb and an old tree stump with tons of ivy!
Best £20 i've spent.