PDA

View Full Version : Help with speech

SparklingGems
01-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Hi

Was wondering if any of you lovely guys would me helping me, I have a 2year old mindee who has very limited speech, He only says mummy and car, he had his 2 year check last week and they have highlighted his speech as a concern. I was wondiering if anyone had any ideas of activities I could plan for him to encourage his speech

Any Help would be appreciated

Thank you

sarah707
01-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Play lots and lots of fun games with words and he will pick new things up as you go along.

Name everything but don't expect him to say it back... that's a mistake a lot of people make and it can put pressure on the child.

Has his hearing been checked? :D

Pipsqueak
01-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Check the ICan website for lots of help and information.

As Sarah says modelling lots of clear and simple speech, extending what is being said - he says mummy you say yes, mummy is working (for instance).

Lots of eye contact so he can see your face and see your mouth moving.

Lots of bubble blowing, raspberry blowing, making funny shapes with mouth and tongue - really get the muscles going.

Lots of rhymes, songs, stomping/clapping to beat etc

lesley
01-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Both website gives you tips

http://www.coventrytalknow.co.uk/

http://talk4meaning.myhomepagemanager.com/everychild.php

Lesley

SparklingGems
01-10-2010, 08:34 PM
Play lots and lots of fun games with words and he will pick new things up as you go along.

Name everything but don't expect him to say it back... that's a mistake a lot of people make and it can put pressure on the child.

Has his hearing been checked? :D

Yeah they have had his hearing checked, I just find it difficult planning for him becuase when I say things to him he doesn't seem to understand me, think its a good idea to name everything will start doing that with him.

Thank you for your advice

SparklingGems
01-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Both website gives you tips

http://www.coventrytalknow.co.uk/

http://talk4meaning.myhomepagemanager.com/everychild.php

Lesley

Thank you so much will have a look now :) :) :clapping:

green puppy
01-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Also use lots of visual aids and objects so that he can see what you are talking about.

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
01-10-2010, 09:28 PM
my own ds is nearly 2, and understands everything i tell him but is not progressing from baby babel, not even mumma :(

oh how i long to hear my son say mumma:( :( :(

jellybean cc
01-10-2010, 11:22 PM
My son has speech problems. In many comics they have a story where some words are replaced with a picture.

eg On Monday (picture of Spot the dog) went to the shop.

I used to cut these out and laminate then to keep and he enjoyed joining in with the story. I'd do the words he would do the picture bit. He loved stories and would join in automatically and by laminating them we could use them over and over again so repeatedly practicing the words.

Usbourn do some lovely books were the children put a sticker on a picture in the text. He loved these as well again joining in each time we came to a sticker.

I was told to say things like " Sorry i did not hear that properly can you repeat it........ Sorry i still did not understand it."
Let the child know you did not understand but not to make it sound like its there fault.

Kaz1997
02-10-2010, 12:57 AM
Hi there,

I also had a 2 year old who seemed very reluctant to speak. I enrolled on a Makaton course and did basic signing with her. Makaton is great as you say the words as you sign them. She really enjoyed this as we made it fun, I even purchased a set of story books which had the signs in them. Before long she was chatting as much as the other children.. Now there is no shutting her up... lol (not that I would want to) her voice is a pleasure to hear now.
Good Luck x

chibault
02-10-2010, 03:53 AM
I recently attended a course called every child a talker. It's a national strategy to help kids with their language. It's worth seeing if your council offer this course. I was given loads of goodies like a recordable photo album and buttons which you can re-record onto, plus recordable white boards. It allows you to give children toys they're interested in, such as a tractor and a digger, then record these words onto the buttons so the child can press them and listen to the words whilst playing.

They were also highlighting how important it is to speak to children at their level so they can see your face and how you form the words you are saying.

There maybe someone in your area who offers help to other childminders regarding language development, they called them EELPs. I can't remember exactly what it stands for, but speak to your DO and they may know or whoever looks after the early years education programme for your area.

All the advice given already by other forum members is spot on.

love381
02-10-2010, 05:38 AM
Hi there,

I also had a 2 year old who seemed very reluctant to speak. I enrolled on a Makaton course and did basic signing with her. Makaton is great as you say the words as you sign them. She really enjoyed this as we made it fun, I even purchased a set of story books which had the signs in them. Before long she was chatting as much as the other children.. Now there is no shutting her up... lol (not that I would want to) her voice is a pleasure to hear now.
Good Luck x

I love MAKATON and have been using it for years!! We use it in here from birth! My first could sign he was hungry, tired and needed a new nappy at 7 months old!!! My second spent the first 2 years of his life only signing (and said mum, dad and 'osh' for Josh) My third signed and said all sorts of things by the age of 1 (bit slower than my first, new nappy didn't come until 11 months old). My baby is only 4 months now, but is watching all the signs, so hope it comes along too. Plus, lots of mindees in there too doing signs and talking. I think Makaton is amazing!! x