PDA

View Full Version : demand for weekend childminder?

SJ35
01-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Hi all, hope this is in the right place ?!

i'm currently doing the childminding course with Wolverhampton Council and hope to be registered by next March/April time.

I would be available to work all weekends as my husband works these days, AND also Monday to Friday like normal too.
Just wondered if there was much demand for weekend childcare?

Any views would be welcomed- thanks

Stacey

RachelE
01-10-2010, 12:52 PM
I've had 2 enquiries for a saturday recently.

I think most people assume you dont do it, so once people know you do, you may get enquries.

Just one word of advice - dont fill up all 7 days! - you'll end up shattered!

Rachel x

crazyhazy
01-10-2010, 01:21 PM
I currently work saturdays for one mindee, but I wouldn't rush to do it again, I find it very hard working 6 days a week. I also find I grudge giving up my family time and probably will stop working saturdays after xmas, when I agreed to do it I was desperate for work whereas now I'm full and turning down enquiries.

caz3007
01-10-2010, 01:24 PM
I have had lots of enquires for weekend work, but just wont do it as it interferes with my family time.

michellethegooner
01-10-2010, 01:26 PM
I did it for a couple of months sort of ad hoc care for a family with me would NEVER do it again I was completely shattered started resenting having to work ALL week , Thankfully I could see the light as it was only a temp arrangement

Like previous post I would advise that you have at least 1 day off a week, or you might find u are burnt out very quickly

SJ35
01-10-2010, 01:32 PM
thanks for the replies :)

i'm working 40-50 hours a week at the moment at the pub that we own, so am looking forward to working more day times rather than evenings. I'm working every day at the moment and yes its really hard work.

I'm going to see what kind of interest i get after i'm registered(or just before!) then try and work it so i get one complete day off.

The only day that Simon gets off from work is a Monday but we don't go out til the evening anyway.

Really looking forward to it all now, just working through all the paperwork!!:eek:
Stace x x

hayleychildcare
01-10-2010, 01:35 PM
I work every Saturday 7am - 5pm. For 2 mindees.

It does get to you after a while. And i do miss family time.

Its also means that every Sunday i am hoovering, dusting, Paperwork and still missing family time.

:( :mad:

spowage
01-10-2010, 03:17 PM
ive had a few ppl ask me to do sats but i said "NO" as its family time so im sure you would get work and you could charge more cos its the weekend! goodluck karen

tulip0803
01-10-2010, 03:41 PM
I have a LO Sat- Mon care. I have had her from 6 months & she just slots into what we are doing. I normally charge time and half for weekends but the parent wold not accept it and pays me double:clapping: :clapping: . I have always (quietly) offered weekends and bank holidays. I do not specifically advertise it as I do not want to be full on those days but there is demand. I just say that I am willing to be flexible.

balijay
01-10-2010, 04:02 PM
In my experience there is certainly a demand for it if you are willing to do it, just make sure charge extra for it. I am just about to stop weekends as will be having a baby soon, but would consider it again if necessary.