PDA

View Full Version : Good toys for different age ranges?

venus89
01-10-2010, 12:33 PM
Today I have a 16 month old (who's very oral), a 2 1/2 year old and a 4 year old. I always struggle to find toys big enough for the littly to play with so he won't swallow them but which interest the oldest, who's very much a child who likes the adult to be involved in her, rather than an independent player. Today we have out the Little People, and playdough on the table, plus they have access to the usuals like bead fame, toy kitchen, books, pens and paper. What do you do when you have very different age ranges? Any good toy suggestions?

*donnalouise*
01-10-2010, 06:17 PM
I know exactly where you are coming from. I have three girls (2 are my DD) aged 6 months, 13 months and 3 and 1/2.

I find the duplo good. My 13mth likes to build towers of bricks (with help) and my 3 and half yr old is happy to build houses/castles with a little help too. My 6 month old just gums the larger pieces!

I also find they all seem to enjoy baking. I put the babies in the high chairs and give them bowls/spoons or sometimes just tip some sugar / flour / dough on their highchair and they are happy little bunnies while my big girl is doing lots of weighing and stirring.

Hope that helps. Will be watching this thread with interest

pinklady
01-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Play kitchen, Happy Land, play dough, ball pits, gloop, duplo & mega blocks seem to interest a big age range. DS1 is 9 and would happily have a go at all of them as would my youngest mindee who's just coming up to 2.