PDA

View Full Version : mums sitting down n chatting

juejue
30-09-2010, 10:21 PM
I have a mum who drops x off at 9am after taking sibling of x to school and then sits and chats till about 9.25 ....has to be in work at 9.30.

Now dont mind her chating for a few minutes but 25......it puts us behind on our routine. Which we all have.

Then at pick up... 6pm does the same . Sits for 20 mins.

How do I tell her I need her to just drop of and go n at home time do the same.
with out being horrible.

mrs c
30-09-2010, 10:52 PM
You could change your routine for a while to get her out of this habit. When she comes with x tell her not to take their coat off as you are going straight out. As for the pick up time you should have x ready and hand over at the door saying you have to dash out. Its just a question of breaking the habit

georgie456
01-10-2010, 05:51 AM
I had this situation and I let it go on and on. Mum was ending up sitting and chatting for up to 30mins, I was fuming inside and the kids were acting up etc.

All I can advise is get it stopped as soon as you can!

In the end, because I am a wimp (!), I put something in my newsletter to make it look like it was aimed at all parents, saying that in order to help children settle, and to make pickup and drop off smooth I was now carrying them all out at the door. I added that parents were welcome to come in if they wanted to discuss something but had to pre-arrange it.

It worked and I got my own time back!!!

Good luck!

The Juggler
01-10-2010, 06:28 AM
i think I would find a toddler group you 'had to be at' that morning.

Pipsqueak
01-10-2010, 07:51 AM
I think you are going to have to be honest and just say, that you cannot stop to chat as you have to do breakfasts/get to xyz/start an actiivity etc.
You could also use the excuse that she does not have a CRB for your setting and you are in breach of regulation by having her stay for long periods of time reguarly. Insurance does not cover this either. blah blah.

Sounds like mum is lonely or is misunderstanding that because you work at home you actually have time to lounge about on the sofa.

Be thankful though, and let this be a warning why you need to nip this in the bud.... (lol) - I used to have a parent (back in the day when I thought you had to bend over backwards to keep parents happy duh), she used to stay chatting for 2.5hrs.:rolleyes:

Ali56
01-10-2010, 03:59 PM
I would carry on with my routine and ask her if she'd like to get involved?! Let her know what your up to and give her a job-you'll hopefully scare her off!! (make it nice and messy!):D :D

juejue
01-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Thanks everyone

She sit there for 25mins coz she doesn't start work till 9.30 so has now where to go. (don't no why she doesn't go to work n have a cupa)

She knows we go the playgroup at 9.30....I say every morning " come on kids lets get breakfast before we go the playgroup" Hello that's a hint :angry:

If we are already sitting around the table having breakfast, she will sit n chat still.

Some days Little x....one of my other mindees...... will push her legs toward the front door n say go to work x x we want to go out.
Now I know x shouldn't be rude.......but she just laughs.

She is sitting there somedays when other parents bring the mindees.

I dont want to be rude and just take x from her at the door because it doesnt
look good on me. If you know what I mean.

mushpea
01-10-2010, 08:05 PM
I have a parent like this so i now shut the gate to the living room and stand in the hall so she cant get to the kitchen the first time i did this she asked why the gat was there so i said i didnt want the dog in the living room, she kinda grunted ,, i think she new the real reason but tuff,, I have a life too wand dont her hear all evening when i want time with my own kids.
Get tuff!!

michellethegooner
01-10-2010, 08:20 PM
I had this when I was settling in and then child's second week child was fine would put hands out for me and smile but mum would sort of hang around at door chatting and saying a million goodbyes, unsettling lo, then dad would drop off with his brother/mother and same thing a million goodbyes, I then said at pick up that I think drop offs should be short and sweet as it unsettles lo they agreed and lo is fine I have mindees ready for collection, parents are welcome to chat or phone if they want a 'proper' chat I ask them to pre-arrange.

I used to have a mum who would hang around for about 2-3 yrs ago :eek: first time the weather was awful and she said hubby was on his way to collect them all and would I mind if they waited, I agreed thing it would be few mins was 2hrs later :eek: Thats when she started making it a habit. after a few wks of this I started making excuses that I had to be somewhere, she soon got the hint & stopped it

funfunfun
01-10-2010, 08:39 PM
I open the door ...........dont let them past the doorstep and give them child &bag :laughing:

they must think i am so rude ..............but i do have other children in my care so its kinda of yep fine , diary for food etc etc ..

Have a night night see you tmoz BYE !!!

angeldelight
01-10-2010, 09:10 PM
I open the door ...........dont let them past the doorstep and give them child &bag :laughing:

they must think i am so rude ..............but i do have other children in my care so its kinda of yep fine , diary for food etc etc ..

Have a night night see you tmoz BYE !!!

I do more or less the same when the bring their children and collect

Parents are happy with this quick drop off and collection

I used to get fed up of parents over staying their welcome

Be honest and tell her

Just imagine if all parents wanted to do it :eek:

Angel xx