PDA

View Full Version : Disability Discrimination Act

Pipsqueak
30-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Did you know that from tomorrow (1 Oct 10) the DDA is being replaced with the Equality Act 2010

http://www.equalities.gov.uk/equality_act_2010.aspx

teacake2
30-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Thank you for that, will have a good look later.
Teacake2

wellybelly
30-09-2010, 03:05 PM
You'd think there would be more awareness for us childminders about this. I havn't heard anything till your post Pip, thank you so much. I've got a few policies to amend now.

sarah707
30-09-2010, 05:19 PM
I wonder why Ofsted / local bods haven't informed us all about this one?

I am interested to know if it's an Act re-write or a new title.

I will have a proper look later. Thank you Pips! :D

Pipsqueak
30-09-2010, 05:50 PM
I only found out today because the senior area ops ncma lady asked me - out of interest. She said she only knew because someone else had asked her as well.

So I guess it filters down somehow but you'd think they'd let you know:rolleyes:

The Juggler
30-09-2010, 05:54 PM
No! thank you.

Pipsqueak
30-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Some interesting info:

Historical Information
The Equality Bill was published on 27 April 2009 and became an Act of Parliament on 8 April 2010.

The Parliament website contains links to all relevant documents (including evidence by stakeholders, Hansard records of debates, other proceedings) relating to the passage of the Equality Bill through each House of Parliament.

You can view the dates for all stages of the passage of the Equality Bill, including links to Hansard records of the debates in the Houses of Parliament.

Also available are the earlier drafts of the Equality Bill (on introduction, and as amended at subsequent stages), earlier drafts of the Explanatory Notes, amendment papers, Public Bill Committee and Report stage proceedings, research papers and Select Committee reports

Equality Act 2010
Over the last four decades, discrimination legislation has played an important role in helping to make Britain a more equal society. However, the legislation was complex and, despite the progress that has been made, inequality and discrimination persist and progress on some issues has been stubbornly slow.

The Equality Act 2010 provides a new cross-cutting legislative framework to protect the rights of individuals and advance equality of opportunity for all; to update, simplify and strengthen the previous legislation; and to deliver a simple, modern and accessible framework of discrimination law which protects individuals from unfair treatment and promotes a fair and more equal society.

The provisions in the Equality Act will come into force at different times to allow time for the people and organisations affected by the new laws to prepare for them. The Government is considering how the different provisions will be commenced so that the Act is implemented in an effective and proportionate way.

Guidance
Our webpage Equality Act 2010: What do I need to know? contains summary guides to the Act explaining how the changes to the law affect different people and organisations and providing practical examples. It also contains "Quick Start" guides to help people understand the particular measures being commenced in October. Further quick-start guides are due to be published shortly.

The Equality and Human Rights Commission has published detailed guidance on equality law and good practice.

Codes of practice

The Equality and Human Rights Commission is producing statutory Codes of Practice on the Equality Act 2010.

Polly2
01-10-2010, 07:22 AM
Thanks Pip! Must remember this for my next set of essays :rolleyes:

ORKSIE
01-10-2010, 07:24 AM
Thanks Pip:thumbsup:

ourmadhouse
01-10-2010, 09:01 PM
very intresting read.
cant wait to see what happens when they require employers to publish information on gender pay gap.
Im sure something will hit the fan then.

(im rather sad, i find law acts and rights etc intresting. shame they decided not to make it very clear and make it a womans right to b/f in public insted its covered by sex discrimination after six months after giving birth :rolleyes:)

thanks for the link :thumbsup:

gigglinggoblin
01-10-2010, 10:45 PM
I had to call them the other day and noticed they were no longer anything to do with disability, it was now equality and human rights. Shame they cant set up a decent helpline rather than mucking about with names.