PDA

View Full Version : 'just a childminder'

*donnalouise*
29-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Im getting incresingly annoyed with the lack of recognition childminders get from people in general.

I started minding the 1st sept (full time 6m old) in addition to caring for my own two daughters aged 12 months and 3.5yr. I gave up my job in a special needs school (as a nursery nurse) to do this. This is my passion.. I love taking my own children to playgroups, parks, learning them things and feel I was really missing out by working.

My mother in law is the main gripe... she cant understand why I would pack in a reasonably well paid job to work harder for less money :angry: And why I would want my children to have to 'share' their mummy. GRRRR

My second gripe is a lady I met today at nursery. On dropping my daughter off, she struck conversation by saying 'oooooh you've got your hands full havent you' (i get this A LOT as my youngest are of similar size and look like twins!). My reply was 'Im a childminder'. She went 'oh, i see. Yes im a childminder too'. 'really?' i replied. She said 'yes for my grandson - i just dont get paid' . GRRRR:angry: I just kindly smiled. She obviously has no idea the kind of things a childminder has to do... the paperwork, inspections, risk assessments, training. It frustrates me that the majority of people I meet havent got a clue how much hard work and dedication being a childminder takes!

Sorry, its long, I just needed to vent my frustration!

Beetlejuice
29-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Im getting incresingly annoyed with the lack of recognition childminders get from people in general.

My mother in law is the main gripe... she cant understand why I would pack in a reasonably well paid job to work harder for less money :angry: And why I would want my children to have to 'share' their mummy. GRRRR

Is your MIL related to mine??? I didn't have a brilliant job pre-childminding but in her eyes it was better than childminding. She has often asked me when I'm going to get a 'proper' job. :angry: :angry: :angry: I wouldn't mind but I have been working 60 hour weeks AND I'm around to take my DDs to school/preschool and I'm here for them in the holidays. I'm doing my NVQ 3 atm and she is of the opinion that when I've finished I will just be able to walk into a TA position at my DD's school - but that's not what I want!!! She sees this as a means to an end and when my youngest goes to school next year I will pack it in. What she doesn't know is that I plan to do a degree next September after I finish my NVQ!! :laughing: Can't wait to tell her ;)

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
29-09-2010, 08:19 PM
you wait till people start refering to you as a "babysitter" or ask you how your "wee" job is going!

Happy Bunny
29-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Totally agree with you.
I had a similar comment from one of my mindees grandparents, she said it must be easy being a childminder and staying at home all day.
Kindly explained all the paperwork i do, (listed it all to her lol) the educational outings i undertake, courses i do and that i am doing the diploma in childcare.
Her reply was really all that to look after children.
Some people have no idea!

grindal
29-09-2010, 08:20 PM
You will get used to it!
I have a friend who has recently started working part time and keeps on telling me how nice it will be to be at home with nothing to do - just like me!! DS 1 is 4 and has just started school, DS 2 is just 3 and I look after a 2 yr old, a 14 month old, a 10 month old and am about to have a before and after schoolie 3 days a week :eek:

em29
29-09-2010, 08:21 PM
I am so with you on this. I feel like a failure sometimes - my family all think I am a babysitter. My mum and dad keep saying 'when you go back to work when the kids are older etc'. I AM WORKING! They have no idea even though i have explained so many times. My mum point blank refuses to believe that I am self employed and says that because the parents pay me they are my employers.....that and the fact she cannot get her head round why i dont get minimum wage and once again i explain i am self employed ................you get the idea! If i didnt laugh i would cry :mad:

Beetlejuice
29-09-2010, 08:23 PM
you wait till people start refering to you as a "babysitter" or ask you how your "wee" job is going!

Oh yes they are classics too! One of my clients calls me a 'babysitter' but I give her the benefit of the doubt as English isn't her first language and she does struggle sometimes! My FIL refers to childminding as my 'little job' :angry: Wouldn't mind but he couldn't do it for even 10 minutes!

Ripeberry
29-09-2010, 08:30 PM
My MIL was a childminder from the 1950's until the late 1970's and she was my inspiration to try it myself. She was so amazed at all the work we have to do nowadays.
In her day, they just came for a chat, made sure your house was clean and that was it.
I'm just glad that I was able to show her my Ofsted report before she passed away :(

guest4
29-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Hi All,
Had to reply to your thread as it hit a nerve with me too.....
It's not just parents/grandparents that are like this...
I recently attended a conference about the planned changes/review to the EYFS at which I and the fellow Childminder I had gone with were asked 'what do you actually do?' by a Pre School Practitioner sat in front of us!!!!!!!

I 'actually' used to work in a pre school and was also the Chairperson for 3 years too.... and can honestly say that the job I do now is more rewarding and satisfying as I know that I have achieved it alone and am not in a position to delegate stuff!!!!

I love being 'just a Childminder' and put a like minded comment on the back of my feedback sheet at the conference...... wonder if that will make it to the review??????? lol lol :laughing:

OK rant over.... step away from the soap box Tracey !!!!! xx:rolleyes:

MAWI
29-09-2010, 08:33 PM
This is one of my pet hates. The best one I had was a dad on his mobile the other day, He said to caller 'just picking up kids from babysitters house, call you back'

Chimps Childminding
29-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Dont get me started on MIL's :angry: mine was saying what a great help her daughters husband was, but then again she is out at work all day :angry: :angry: She works term time only, has a Friday off and her children are grown up with children of their own!!!! Mine are all teenagers still living at home :rolleyes:

MIL used to phone up in a morning (on a day that suited them) and say we will pop down and see you this afternoon (not can we)we will be there about 2 - great just as I was getting lo's to sleep. Then she would ring the doorbell, and then as she came in ask in a loud voice have you got any sleeping??? Not anymore :angry:

Anyhow, finally got fed up of her thinking she could just pop round when it suited (she always seemed to pick my busy day) and got dh to tell her nicely that it really wasn't convenient, I was working (well she couldn't pop and see her daughter at work, could she!!!!!!) Obviously my job doesn't count as work!!! :rolleyes:

Lady Haha
29-09-2010, 09:13 PM
My nan is one of these!!! I don't see her much as she lives far away, but my mum visits her alot. My mum told me she keeps asking if I'm still doing my little job and do I ever think about getting a proper job? My mum kindly explained to her that I am running a very successful business, I get paid well for what I do(when I've got six mindees here!) and to add the cherry to the cake, she told her that I took my son on a five night holiday to Disneyland for his birthday.

Not bad for a single mum with a little babysitting job, ay!

Helcatt
29-09-2010, 09:14 PM
Is your MIL related to mine??? I didn't have a brilliant job pre-childminding but in her eyes it was better than childminding. She has often asked me when I'm going to get a 'proper' job. :angry: :angry: :angry: I wouldn't mind but I have been working 60 hour weeks AND I'm around to take my DDs to school/preschool and I'm here for them in the holidays. I'm doing my NVQ 3 atm and she is of the opinion that when I've finished I will just be able to walk into a TA position at my DD's school - but that's not what I want!!! She sees this as a means to an end and when my youngest goes to school next year I will pack it in. What she doesn't know is that I plan to do a degree next September after I finish my NVQ!! :laughing: Can't wait to tell her ;)

I am stupid - I was reading that thinking "that sounds just like V" and then it clicked :laughing: Am not used to the name!

Yep, same sitch here, FIL can not understand that I can not just drop everything to make a cup of tea for him, or why the floor is sometimes a little messy. And when I was telling my Dad about my grades on the DHC he was asking if I could go and work ofr Ofsted soon, seeing as I was doing so well:eek:

HX

PixiePetal
29-09-2010, 09:22 PM
I must be one of the lucky ones who friends/family/neighbours/others can see this is more than just a little job or babysitting I am doing and compliment me on the behaviour of mindees. Then again after 16 years minding and 12 years as a nanny in same area before that, they have had a while to get used to it :rolleyes: :laughing:

Beetlejuice
29-09-2010, 09:53 PM
I am stupid - I was reading that thinking "that sounds just like V" and then it clicked :laughing: Am not used to the name!

:laughing: :laughing: Yes H t'is me!!:D

Mcgons
29-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Oh yes they are classics too! One of my clients calls me a 'babysitter' but I give her the benefit of the doubt as English isn't her first language and she does struggle sometimes! My FIL refers to childminding as my 'little job' :angry: Wouldn't mind but he couldn't do it for even 10 minutes!

It's funny how it's all the same! One of my mindee's mum calls me the babysitter! She knows it's more than that but she's just so used to saying it! Also it's the first time someone has said anything like this, one of my mum's friends today referred to my childminding as 'my little job' - she's prob got no idea what goes on now, back in her day prob was just a little job! It doesn't bother me though, everyone else family friends parents know how important our job is. :)

The Juggler
30-09-2010, 07:18 AM
a mum was asking me about childminding the other day, she needs to find some work as she's on benefits at the moment. she wasn't interested in what the job was, how hard etc, etc, just how much I made. I told her my hourly rate but said remember you'll have lots of expenses to pay out of that.

Mouse
30-09-2010, 09:30 AM
I had a mum come to visit me who had been to see another childminder first.

She wasn't very impressed with this other minder.

She said "she wasn't at all professional like you. She was just a babysitter, not a childminder".

It just shows that some people do know there's a difference :thumbsup:

KarenM
30-09-2010, 03:06 PM
I've had this recently for a nursery assistant at LO's new nursery. I took him for his settling in and I asked if she would like to see his learning journey and progress so far. I got "so do you do observations then?" I replied yes and left it that as she is new. However, as I was walking back through the nursery, all the staff were saying hello. I've worked in childcare for over 10 years and knew quite a few after delivering training on observations and the EYFS!!:laughing: Needless to say, she wished a large hole had swallowed her up.

*donnalouise*
30-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Awww. thanks for all your replies :blush: Glad to see im not on my own on this one! Dont know how I'll cope when someone calls me a babysitter :angry: :angry: what an insult!!!! Just out of interest to you go on to correct people on this??? or go on and tell them what work actually goes into childminding?

I can say on the positive side I have the most amazing set of parents who are truly appreciating the work that goes in to it... and the little girls diary is looking amazing as the ALWAYS write a comment at the beginning of the day before she comes to me. I can honestly say Im as happy as a pig rolling in mud being a childminder! (i'd happily work 5 days doing this than just one day a week doing my old job):clapping:

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
30-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Im very lucky as my MIL thinks that looking after children is the most important yet hard work a person can do so is 100% supportive of me and can often be heard telling her son various ways to help me and give me a break so i can put my feet up.

Bless her, i love her so much!

hayleychildcare
30-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Its my FIl that i have the most trouble with.\
He is constantly saying to my hubby " you used to have such anice house it spoilt with all that RUBBISH now, refering to toys etc.

He also thinks im being JUST a childminder until i get a PROPER job :angry:

I love my job
I love my messy and cluttered house
I love all the kids i mind
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My FIL can go suck on a dolls house:D

funemnx
30-09-2010, 07:50 PM
Usually I just smile politely when I'm called a babysitter but a couple of times I haven't been able to stop myself informing them I bought home just over £28,000 last year for my 'little job', they don't say it twice!!

leopardlady
15-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Sorry to revive an old thread, but have you seen this post that is going about facebook currently?

Teachers' hefty salaries are driving up taxes, causing recession, and so we have to take the money from elsewhere because of these greedy teachers, their massive salaries are a drain on society, and they only work for what? 9 or 10 months a year!

It's time we put thing in perspective and pay them for what they do - babysit! Surely we can get that for minimum wage?

That's right. Let's give them £6.00 an hour and only for the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, holiday pay, pensions, etc, or any time they spend before or after school. It's only child minding after all....

That would be £39.00 a day (7:45 AM to 3:00 PM with 45 minutes off for lunch and planning, that equals 6 1/2 hours work per day).

We should privatise the schools, and the teachers, we'll pay it. Each parent should pay £39 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children. Now how many students do they teach in a day? Maybe 30? So that's £39.00 x 30 = £1,170.00 a day. However, remember they only work 180 days a year!!! I am not going to pay them for any vacations.

LET'S SEE.... That's £1,170 X 180 days = £210,600 per year. (Hold on, somethings wrong here! My calculator must need new batteries).

What about those special education teachers and the ones with Master's degrees who've been doing it for years? Well, we could pay them a little more (£7.75 an hour), and just to be fair to them, let's round it off to £8.00 an hour. That would be £8 X 6 1/2 hours X 30 children X 180 days = £280,800 per year. Wait a minute, someone's messing with my calculator -- there's something wrong here!

There sure is:
The average teacher's salary (nationwide figures from Sept 2011) is just over £30,000. So £30,000 divided by 180 days = £166.66 per day divided by 30 students = £5.55 per day divided by 6.5 hours = £0.85 per hour per student.

Which is a very inexpensive baby-sitter and they even EDUCATE our kids! WHAT A DEAL!!!!

Heaven forbid we take into account the rights of all workers (holiday pay, pensions, etc) or highly qualified teachers and heads...

Make a teacher smile; re-post this to show your appreciation, and stop listening to the Tories and their figures....

Did you spot what has annoyed me so much about this? Bet you did !!!

RainbowDrops
16-01-2013, 12:09 AM
Oh yes definitely. My nan started crying the other day because I was the only grandchild she was proud of - doing a degree and having a great vocation. And I want to give it all up for what? Babysitting all day.

Um yes, because that's exactly what childminders do....

Childminder in Kent
16-01-2013, 08:13 AM
i had a friend - who is a teacher - say to me "It's better than working isn't it".
Oh sorry, I forgot im not working - im just doing it for fun!

jelly15
16-01-2013, 08:31 AM
Some first time parents who come for an interview are shocked when they are handed my prospectus which includes my policies and procedures etc. Then when they realise that they have to sign a contract and I have a level 3 diploma and first aid certificate they are amazed. Comments are usually, "Gosh your a prpoer business then? I thought you were a babysitter.":angry:

CH1957
16-01-2013, 08:44 AM
Totally agree with you.
I had a similar comment from one of my mindees grandparents, she said it must be easy being a childminder and staying at home all day.
Kindly explained all the paperwork i do, (listed it all to her lol) the educational outings i undertake, courses i do and that i am doing the diploma in childcare.
Her reply was really all that to look after children.
Some people have no idea!

My mum is exactly the same, except she always adds at the end 'what a waste of time' :mad:

silvermist
16-01-2013, 09:31 AM

One of my schoolies aged 8 used to call me her babysitter until I told her that I wasnt a babysitter, baby sitters dont have to do ljs, obs, planning, ras, inspections etc. She got the message coz she stopped calling me it! :angry:

zippy
16-01-2013, 10:49 AM
When people ask me 'do you not want to get a proper job', I smugly smile and say why on earth would I want to work at a job I don't enjoy for £200 a week when I can earn more than double that every week doing a job I love. Ha, you should see their faces when they click that I'm earning way more than them lol. Obviously don't mention that I have a load of expenses on that lol.

harleyrider
16-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Im very lucky as my MIL thinks that looking after children is the most important yet hard work a person can do so is 100% supportive of me and can often be heard telling her son various ways to help me and give me a break so i can put my feet up.

Bless her, i love her so much!

I have a very supportive mil too. She constantly says how hard I've worked to be accredited and have my lv 3 along with bringing up our 4young busy boys and working. She tells anyone who listens how good our home is and the outings the children get taken on and always says dont forget to relax! Bless her...