PDA

View Full Version : Naps ...

Zoomie
29-09-2010, 01:07 PM
I mind a 23m old, who I am finding increasingly difficult to get down for nap.

He always crieds for 15-20 mnutes (even at home) and then goes off, but often when I check on him after about 45 minutes he is awake in cot, with a dirty nappy.

He doesn't seem tired but I know mum is desparate to keep him napping.

Also today I heard banging after 40 minutes, to find mindee on floor banging his feet against door. How he got out of campcot, I don't know - possibly climbed onto bed and then got down but it is a problem.

I'm inclined to just drop his naps but not sure how to work with parents about it.

MissTinkerbell
29-09-2010, 01:14 PM
Sounds to me as though he might be ready to drop his naps or at least cut them down.

Have you asked how his sleep is at night? When he has a nap do they struggle with bedtime?

What is he like if he doesn't have a nap?

My 25 month old mindee can cope one day without a nap but not 2 on the trot. Perhaps suggest that you try having a nap every other day if mum still wants him to nap.

Zoomie
29-09-2010, 01:51 PM
me thinks so too :)

Worried about the campcot issue. Got him to show me how he climbs out. Straight over the top - didn't use the bed :eek: .

My upstairs is a nightmare at the mo cos we are redecorating :blush: :blush:

Have a readybed he could use in DD's room, otherwise would have to get permission for a buggy ?????

Rubybubbles
29-09-2010, 01:55 PM
my 18 month old is getting ready to drop his nap, mum and dad asked as he was not going to sleep until 10-11 at night after having 1hr (I would wake him lol!) but today is the first day I haven't put him for a sleep and now he is very very grumpy and tired and no doubt will fall asleep as soon as we head for the school run:rolleyes:

I also wouldn't make a lo stay in the cot for 40min either hun 10-15 mins max

clio0602
29-09-2010, 02:06 PM
My dd 2.5yrs wil go for a 2-3hr nap after lunch every other day.

I'd approach parents and see if they would give that a try as suggested especially if lo is crying before they go off and then not staying for long.

xx

Zoomie
29-09-2010, 09:55 PM
I put it all in diary and hopefully will get a chance to chat to mum tomorrow.

Just want to explain about leaving him for up to 45 minutes.

He always cries himself to sleep, at mine, at previous cm and at home.

If I go in anytime before 30 mins he is disturbed and then wakes up / just doesn't go to sleep.

singlewiththree
30-09-2010, 06:18 AM
I have a just turned 2yrold and a 23mth old and we both agreed that if they fall asleep then they fall asleep, no more putting to bed as they cry. I obviously can tell when they are getting tired and go for a walk in the pushchair or they just fall asleep on the school run.

Ripeberry
06-10-2010, 12:37 PM
My mindee now 25 months is almost dropping his naps and it's difficult on a Wednesday as he will fight it and fight it but his mum picks up at 2.45pm and to be worthwhile he needs to nap by at least 1.45pm.

I warn him that nap time is coming up and he says " NO! NO!" and then goes and hides :rolleyes: So I just tell him that I'm tired and that I'm going upstairs, then after a minute or so he follows me upstairs, says "night night" to the cat (she is always on my bed) and then he will go straight to sleep in the cot in my kids room.

But before his naps he goes a bit 'crazy' and goes round and round in circles and throws himself against the sofa or floor :eek:

I think on Wednesdays I'll need to drop the nap OR take him for a little drive for a bit longer just to make sure he gets some rest, as he does fall asleep at around 10.30am but only for 10 mins as we get home by then.

terrydoo73
06-10-2010, 01:42 PM
I look after twin boys aged 2 1/2 years and they sleep anything between 1 1/2 - 2 hours most days with me - mum would let them sleep for 3 if they need it! They are up at about 6.30 am and go to bed every night at 7.30 pm. They are so full of energy and need the sleep during the day. So it is usually straight after lunch between 12.30 and 1.00 and I am told not to let them sleep beyond 4 but that rarely happens. One of them in particular does waken up at about 1 hour but I never go never him and he soon goes over again.

I am giving them up at the end of the month and they are due to start private nursery afternoons with possibly either a childminder or granny looking after them morning (couldn't get 2 full time places) so I don't know how they will work their sleep as it will be a 1 pm start there!!

They sleep in travel cots in my good room and although did go through the phase of climbing out of them I just put them straight back in - usually know on the monitor when they are up and about. At home they are in beds but the only other piece of furniture in the room is a wardrobe which they can open and do hide in it if awake early. They cannot reach the handle on the bedroom door so on a morning mum is not working she will just leave them in the bedroom until she wants to get up herself!!

babs
06-10-2010, 01:45 PM
my great niece has just turned 2 yrs old and hasnt had a nap for 3 months in the day, she use to have problem sleeping at night now goes down for a good 10hrs at night

nannymcflea
06-10-2010, 01:50 PM
What about having a quiet time with some cushions and blankets on the floor?

Perhaps put some quiet gentle music on or even a baby channel on tv. Close the curtains and chill.

Put some board books near but have all other toys out the way or in their boxes.

You can do this even if you have other lo's as it always nice to have a chill.

If you wanted you could get a light to shine on the ceiling so lo's could lay down and look at the colours.