PDA

View Full Version : Pre reg and bunk beds

RainbowBright
28-09-2010, 07:33 PM
Hi

Just after a bit of advice really. A friend of mine recently tried to register for overnight care but was refused (and not allowed the bedroom registered) as she could not explain how she could make her bunk beds safe so that LO's didn't climb up to the top. Has anyone come across this before?

Having thought about this we have come up with a few alternatives now-meshing over the ladder in minding hours or a large peice of wood that could be secured over the ladder during minding hours.

I will be going through the same process shortly so would appreciate any suggestions.

caz3007
28-09-2010, 07:43 PM
Isnt it funny how different inspectors comment on different things. I have bunk bed and its never been commented on and when I registered initially Mrs O insisted on registering my whole house (she was an ex minder) and even counted all the bed spaces I had including the top bunk in case I wanted overnight.

I actually dont allow the LO's into the bedrooms, but sometimes my DS and one or two of the over 8's go up there to play, cant get on the top bunk as its a bit of a dumping ground :laughing:

RainbowBright
28-09-2010, 08:18 PM
I've heard of lots of people it hasn't effected but this did suprise me, but I can also see the safety aspect of it too. My bedrooms will be registered but not for playing just for overnight care (hopefully!), My friend has asked for it to reconsidered so who knows!

Will soon see what they say when my inspector comes along :)

samb
30-09-2010, 08:31 PM
I also have bunk beds. The inspector did ask me how I intended on keeping the children safe and I said I would observe the children to see how they reacted and act appropriately so if they did not respond to me asking them to come away then I would cover up with a piece of wood when that child is there or put a stair gate across bedroom etc. She was fine with that.

RainbowBright
01-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Thanks for comfirming that for me samb :)

rickysmiths
01-10-2010, 03:51 PM
I had bunk beds in my childrens bedroom when we lived in a flat. Social Services registered all the rooms and so did Ofsted and neither questioned the bed. Its certainly interesting what different inspectors want. I would def do a risk assessment on them if they were still in use today.