PDA

View Full Version : Outrageous

libby0704
28-09-2010, 01:32 PM
I am looking to move and need a new place to rent.... to my horror landlords are refusing to rent a house to childminders because they value their houses too much ..... I am soo cross.

Do these people think we allow the children in our care to wreck the house and everything that is in it? Do they think childminders have no respect or morals?

I have a good mind to write to my local paper ..... stating that childminders are frowned upon and being treated unfairly.

Sorry that is my moan over with :(

ManicMum
28-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Hi

I am a childminder but have also been a landlord in the past. Whilst I would rather rent to a childminder than students, I can see the point of view that the house would get more wear and tear than normal. How about offering an enhanced deposit or clause in contract that house will be re-painted and made good as new before you leave? I am sure you will find someone sympathetic. I had a phone call frm Poland asking if I would rent to a gang of builders - I did turn that one down!!

Good luck!

gigglinggoblin
28-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Has anyone said its cos they value their houses too much? It might be to do with insurance.

gegele
28-09-2010, 04:52 PM
hello,

i think that it affects their insurance and some mortgage (i think) as well states that you can't run a business from the address as well as if the house is part of a group housing thiny bob.

i had to wait to move to out of our flat to apply to become a childminder as it wasn't allowed in my flat.

but if it is just a case of looking after the house a couple without children or grown upchildren would probably do less damage wear and tear than childminder. plus they would put up with some things that you would demand be sorted as a childminder (ie i don't know humidity in bedrooms, little leak somewhere).

you need to respect their right to choose as well.

and it's probably a sign that it's not the right place, good luck with the search.:thumbsup:

libby0704
28-09-2010, 08:52 PM
I have to do that anyway, no matter who's house I rent from. I am renting at the moment and not once has it ever been a problem.

I have 2 dogs and 3 cats yet they were not an issue, children were which to me is ..... why rent your house if your going to be soo picky about who rents it?

The house I live in I decorate once a year, clean the carpets twice a year and make sure it is spotless..... Landlords need to maybe check with previous landlords before judging.

Hi

I am a childminder but have also been a landlord in the past. Whilst I would rather rent to a childminder than students, I can see the point of view that the house would get more wear and tear than normal. How about offering an enhanced deposit or clause in contract that house will be re-painted and made good as new before you leave? I am sure you will find someone sympathetic. I had a phone call frm Poland asking if I would rent to a gang of builders - I did turn that one down!!

Good luck!

libby0704
28-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Yes she said she valued her house too much to allow me to childmind from it :angry:

Has anyone said its cos they value their houses too much? It might be to do with insurance.

FussyElmo
29-09-2010, 07:42 AM
Whan I was looking a few months ago I viewed a house that was such a lovely family home but the landlord wouldnt consider me as I have young children. I didnt even mention cm'ing to them.

But that was his right - his house his money - he gets to choose who lives there.

Take it as a sign that the house wasn't right for you :thumbsup:

littleelm
29-09-2010, 08:44 AM
I rent... and i'm fortunate enough to have the most fabulous landlord ever... so long as I have the appropriate insurance he doesn't mind.... we already have a mini zoo of animals... which he cares about... he came round once and the rabbit hutch was wide open and no buns in sight... so he came running inside panicking.... to which we told him Buns has become a house rabbit!

However, my mum and dad are landlords.... so I know the other side of the coin aswell.... they won't allow pets in the bungalow, although the last tenants managed to get away with an outside rabbit! I do think they'd allow a childminder though! Some landlords are just tough cookies to crack I suppose!

AliceK
29-09-2010, 11:07 AM
When we were looking I told the landlord I was a registered childcare provider initially and then when I met him explained about the childminding and made sure I emphasised we are both (me and OH) enhanced CRB checked, inspected by Ofsted, inspected by environmental health, I have PL Insurance and basically made him aware that I am an upstanding member of the community :)

We also have a dog , 2 cats and 4 rabbits and 2 young children of my own and he was fine about it all. I also took with me the inspection reports on my previous property which all say how clean and well kept I keep the house.

Emphasise all the good points of having a responsible childminder in his property I mean we have more reason than most to keep the house clean and well kept dont we.

Good Luck

xxx