PDA

View Full Version : My daughter chipped a tooth

em29
28-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Hi - today I was at home with my 3 under 2;s and my childminder friend and a friend of mine at the school rang and said my daughter (4) had fallen in the playground and injures her lips and tooth. I cried on the phone (what a wally), and then left the kids with my childminder friend whilst i ran to the school to get my daughter. She has chipped the bottom corner of her top tooth, cut bottom and top lips and looked like a fish bless her. I have booked an appointment with dentist but wondered if anyone had any experience with this and did the dentist repair the damage or just file it down? :(

venus89
28-09-2010, 01:08 PM
My dd slipped in th ebath when she was tiny and chipped a front tooth - the dentist just left it, although it was a small chip. Presumably it's a milk tooth and she won't be far off losing it at that age. Poor girl, and poor you too - give each other lots of cuddles x

charliegee
28-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Hi - today I was at home with my 3 under 2;s and my childminder friend and a friend of mine at the school rang and said my daughter (4) had fallen in the playground and injures her lips and tooth. I cried on the phone (what a wally), and then left the kids with my childminder friend whilst i ran to the school to get my daughter. She has chipped the bottom corner of her top tooth, cut bottom and top lips and looked like a fish bless her. I have booked an appointment with dentist but wondered if anyone had any experience with this and did the dentist repair the damage or just file it down? :(

Ah you poor thing and your poor daughter! hope you are both okay - sending a hug as that must have been horrid for you both

I must say I've no experience of chidren / chipped teeth but I know that when I personally have chipped a tooth (and it was a massive "chip" - more like a chunk!!) they were able to repair it - sort of like doing a filling. - I'm quite afraid of dentists and I have to say it was very pain free and quick to do

HTH X

wellybelly
28-09-2010, 01:13 PM
My daughter did this!

The dentist probably won't do anything because its here baby teeth still. The gums may turn a grey colour but this is just bruising and will go down. It looks awful but will get better. Don't worry, I cried to when I saw my daughter. Sending hugs x

loocyloo
28-09-2010, 01:16 PM
i had a chipped front tooth - looked like a mousehole!

the dentist used to fill it some how, but it often came out. eventually a different dentist filed down the rest of the tooth a bit and its not noticeable!

Pipsqueak
28-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Don't worry, the dentist can do all sorts of things. The main thing they will be checking for though is that the nerve isn't damaged.

Middle son has just this weekend broken his two front teeth - I mean totally taken off the bottom of his teeth.

Her teeth will be sensitive and maybe a bit painful for a couple of days - so medication, avoid extremes of temperature in foods/drinks/going outdoors, lots of TLC.

Speedy recovery

Pixie dust
28-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Hi
The same happened to my son and the dentist did a fab repair job, you can't even tell. I felt so quilty as I was away on holiday with my now husband (step dad to my two) when my mum phoned and told me what had happened. He had fallen over in the playground. I felt soo bad not being there he was 8 at the time and first time had gone away with out the boys:crying:

CHEEKY BEE
28-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Hi, my daughter knocked her canine tooth out when she was 3yrs old, the dentist didn't do anything cos it was a milk tooth. I was so upset when it happened, she fell against a chair at a toddler group.

She was fine and her adult tooth has now come through.

The only thing I can think a dentist will do is file it if it is sharp.

:)

Toothfairy
28-09-2010, 04:18 PM
When we see patients like this in our Emergency Unit we clean up the lip area and stitch if needed.
If the tooth is only chipped then we will smooth off any sharp edges and leave it. Some dentists may pop a composite filling on the chipped area but its not usual on a baby tooth.
The tooth may die and turn black due to the trauma but as it is only a baby tooth, the adult tooth should come through ok.
If the chipp is a large fracture with a crack in it then the dentist may xray the tooth and decide to extract it.

But by the sounds of it she has just chipped a bit off, so should be fine. :thumbsup:

If you live in kent you can be seen at one of the Emergency Dental Units tonight if you ring 01634 890300. This is the number for the triage centre and we have units in Tunbridge Wells, Chatham, Canterbury and Margate.

em29
28-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Ah thanks to each and every one of you that replied! You are all so lovely! Thank you.
I smiled when I saw I had a reply from the Toothfairy! lol
She has complained when drinking that her tooth hurts - so maybe sensitive? It is almost a quarter of her tooth that has chipped - looks like it needs filing as sharp. Trouble is I could only get an appointment for 13 October - or they said I could book an emergency appointment but I don't want to book an emergency one and be dramatic! Besides - her lip i think needs to heal before being asked to open wide!

sarah707
28-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Aww bless her! I'd give her some pain relief before bed and steer clear of ice cream or hot things for a few days.

Don't forget, on a practical note, to contact Ofsted and let them know you implemented your emergency plan leaving children with another childminder while you went to get your daughter.

Write it all up and make sure children's parents know where you were in case of query.

Hugs xx

em29
28-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Thanks sarah - I hadn't thought to do an incident report because it was my own daughter but of of course I need to do one as I left them! Luckily my mindees mum teaches at my daughters school and knew that I was leaving him and I rang my other mindees mum who lives very close and was home for the day and asked her to collect her daughter from my house as I had no idea how long I would be. All parents happy but I will do my incident report tomorrow for all to see! :o