PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please

handeme
28-09-2010, 08:44 AM
Hi everyone,

Hope everyone is well.

I have completed all my training and my next step is to apply to Ofsted and for my CRB, does anyone know how long it will take now to become registered?

Also, where does everyone find the best place to advertise?

c x

Pipsqueak
28-09-2010, 09:46 AM
How long will it take is rather like asking how long is a piece of string unfortunately. sorry I don;t mean to sound unhelpful or glib.

Once your CRB has gone in, it just depends on how many apps they are processing, if you have had several addresses or any name changes, even if there are lots of people with your name. For some people it can take a couple of months others it can take 6 months (plus). You should be able to track your CRB progress. Your certificate cannot be processed until the CRB has come back.

As for advertising - lots of places:
on here, netmums, childcare.co.uk and several other internet sites.
local shops,
yourself - t-shirts/hats/on your car
local health visitors, doctor surgeries, schools, nurseries and playgroups (toddler groups), soft plays
anywhere parents go
word of mouth is normally the best method however - let friends and family know and ask them to let their friends and family know, neighbours
get some business cards printed up and keep them with you at all times to hand out - give some to friends and rellies and ask them to give them to people
a leaflet letterbox drop

good luck

sarah707
28-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Like Pips says it can take a long time...

If you ask your local people now, have a 12 week course, then send your papers to Ofsted, then wait for a visit, then wait for CRB and doctor's / social services... you should be working early in the new year (Feb / March maybe?)

It depends on the availability of courses, how quick your CRB goes through (it can take from weeks to months)... lots of things.

there's only one way to find out though! Go for it :D

handeme
01-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Thank you.

I have my DHC exam next week, nearly done with all my paperwork so it is just my CRB and Ofsted visit. Big question but do you think it could all be through by january/february??

c x

Pipsqueak
01-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Reaslistically thinking yes perhaps towards early new year.

good luck

mum2two
01-10-2010, 01:41 PM
I would think so. I started applying in the Sept, and eventually got my cert about 7th January...

It is the CRB's I'm afraid. Some just take longer than others, depending on how busy the loacal areas are I guess.

Hope you're up & running soon! When you are, best form of advertising is just to get out in the community & let everyone know you're a childminder. I even just started giving parents my details when I was at the park, walking etc, just to get my name known... :blush:

xx