PDA

View Full Version : Looks like I might be doing my degree after all!!!

Playmate
27-09-2010, 06:35 PM
:clapping: :clapping: Had a phone call from college today, lots didn't turn up to enroll last week (I think this is because funding has changed since people applied) she said they want to interview me on Wednesday morning at 9am and if I'm successful will enroll there and then :D she then said that the tutor was under the impression that there was no funding for CM's :( and that the course wa £1950 :panic: I accepted the offer of the interview and said I would look into the funding. Our local authority website confirmed that £1400 is available for the Foundation degree, but the fee has to paid up front and then claimed back and there is no guarentee that it will be granted :panic:
However I have made my decision, I'm going to go for it, pay on my credit card and say lots of prayers :D

I'm in a panic now :panic: what do you think they might ask me at interview??

Pipsqueak
27-09-2010, 08:31 PM
That is fantabulous news Playmate:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
you will be brilliant and its obviously meant to be.

the sort of things they might ask you (what I was asked) - why do i want to do the degree, what do i think/hope I will get out of it, what do I think i will bring to the course, thinking about time management - how will I arrange my study schedule/work/home - that one wasn't so much a question but a gentle reminder to think about how I am going to fit it all in, where do I see myself in a few years time etc.

the questions won't be hard but they will be to make you think.

you will ace it :clapping:

TheBTeam
27-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Fantastic news! Hehe Rather you than me though!:rolleyes: :clapping:

I dont have time to think with the arrival of this new puppy!

manjay
27-09-2010, 08:38 PM
Fabby news:thumbsup:

Hopefully you will get your funding. Our course is £500 per year but on my dodgy income I get that funded by student finance wales plus a study grant each year.

I had the above questions plus some a bit more obscure like things I was proud of in my life, how I deal with difficult situations, strategies I use for self reflection.

You will be fine:D

The Juggler
27-09-2010, 08:56 PM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: i am so happy for you hon. wow your college is expensive. when i did mine it was 750 they just put it up to 1200 but nearly 2,000 is not far off uni prices.

Am sure you'll get your funding hon and if you have to pay reimbursement is not sure, make sure you apply for loan/funding from student finance.:)

Playmate
27-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Thank you ladies :D these were the sort of questions I was expecting so I will get myself prepared :panic:
Someone has just given me info about applying for a student loan for part time students, so I maybe able to borrow the difference, I will look into this tomorrow :D
As for being Ace it this, I'm really not sure :rolleyes: but I will give it a go and if I get stuck I will be looking to you young things for help :laughing:

ORKSIE
27-09-2010, 09:08 PM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: Good Luck...hope you get your Funding:thumbsup:

nannymcflea
27-09-2010, 09:11 PM
Get yourself on the directgov website and apply for a maintenance grant and a student loan.

The grant is £2906

The loan covers the fees and only has to be paid back after you start earning over £15.000

Are you going for the part time/3 year or full time 2 year?

The full time 2 year is 1 evening and 1 full day!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Playmate
28-09-2010, 08:15 AM
Get yourself on the directgov website and apply for a maintenance grant and a student loan.

The grant is £2906

The loan covers the fees and only has to be paid back after you start earning over £15.000

Are you going for the part time/3 year or full time 2 year?

The full time 2 year is 1 evening and 1 full day!

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

The course is from 1 - 6pm one day a week but not sure how many years until I fo on Wednesday. I must admit the thought of applying for a student loan fills me with dread. We have been going through the process for the last 6mths for my son who started at uni a week ago and he has only just received his money today :eek: They wanted so much info, original documentation etc and the whole process was a nightmare.:panic:

nannymcflea
28-09-2010, 05:12 PM
The course is from 1 - 6pm one day a week but not sure how many years until I fo on Wednesday. I must admit the thought of applying for a student loan fills me with dread. We have been going through the process for the last 6mths for my son who started at uni a week ago and he has only just received his money today :eek: They wanted so much info, original documentation etc and the whole process was a nightmare.:panic:

But it's worth it. I got the maintenence grant and funding from the local council.:thumbsup:

The Juggler
28-09-2010, 05:19 PM
But it's worth it. I got the maintenence grant and funding from the local council.:thumbsup:

me too. I got the grant and a bursary:)

haribo
28-09-2010, 08:10 PM

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN WE ARE STILL WAITING FOR MY DAUGHTER TO GET HER LOAN THROUGH AND SHES BEEN IN HER STUDENT FLAT FOR A WEEK ...oops sorry for caps .. its a nightmare from start to finish but partly due to her rushing through her online form :panic: good luck with the course :thumbsup:

Playmate
28-09-2010, 08:17 PM
I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN WE ARE STILL WAITING FOR MY DAUGHTER TO GET HER LOAN THROUGH AND SHES BEEN IN HER STUDENT FLAT FOR A WEEK ...oops sorry for caps .. its a nightmare from start to finish but partly due to her rushing through her online form :panic: good luck with the course :thumbsup:

Hope your daughter gets her money soon. I think the student finance dept has got to be the worst Gov department and that is saying something after dealing with the CSA for the last 15 years :rolleyes:

Playmate
30-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Well I was interviewed yesterday morning (when they finally found my application forms :angry: ) then I had to sit a basic skills test on the computer which was very scary :panic: (because I have O levels and not GCSE's) and then they said "yes you can have a place can you start this afternoon?" :panic: "of course I replied". :panic:
Well I have to be honest when I got home at 7pm I felt mentally drained but also really excited about the course content. As long as I can get myelf organised, I think I will enjoy this course, which is more than can be said for the level 3 :D

manjay
30-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Well I was interviewed yesterday morning (when they finally found my application forms :angry: ) then I had to sit a basic skills test on the computer which was very scary :panic: (because I have O levels and not GCSE's) and then they said "yes you can have a place can you start this afternoon?" :panic: "of course I replied". :panic:
Well I have to be honest when I got home at 7pm I felt mentally drained but also really excited about the course content. As long as I can get myelf organised, I think I will enjoy this course, which is more than can be said for the level 3 :D

Good for you honey:thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
30-09-2010, 01:13 PM

wowweee talk about thrown in at the deep end!!!! lol

CONGRATULATIONS:clapping: :clapping:

The Juggler
30-09-2010, 01:27 PM
blimey they don't mess about! did you enjoy the first session? congrats on getting your place though honx:clapping:

nannymcflea
30-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Wow, thats cool. Hope your tutors are as helpful and good as mine.:thumbsup:

I'm getting organised, have done one piece of homework, second one today( 3 obs) and spoke to speach and language therapist and developmental therapist too for help!

Seems a good course, hope it lasts.:)

Playmate
30-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Wow, thats cool. Hope your tutors are as helpful and good as mine.:thumbsup:

I'm getting organised, have done one piece of homework, second one today( 3 obs) and spoke to speach and language therapist and developmental therapist too for help!

Seems a good course, hope it lasts.:)

Yes the 2 main tutors seem lovely. For homework I have got to do a chart showing the structure of my setting and describe their roles, well that should be easier shouldn't it :rolleyes: Also have to write a descriptive paragrah about the setting.

manjay
30-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Yes the 2 main tutors seem lovely. For homework I have got to do a chart showing the structure of my setting and describe their roles, well that should be easier shouldn't it :rolleyes: Also have to write a descriptive paragrah about the setting.

:D Don't forget to include playmate the boss, playmate the cook, playmate the cleaner, playmate the general dogsbody and playmate the child carer:thumbsup:

Playmate
30-09-2010, 09:22 PM
:D Don't forget to include playmate the boss, playmate the cook, playmate the cleaner, playmate the general dogsbody and playmate the child carer:thumbsup:

:laughing: :laughing: and Blue boy the nappy changer coz he says he always gets the s*** jobs :laughing: