PDA

View Full Version : How often do you change a nappy

Alibali
27-09-2010, 06:12 PM
How often would you normally change a babies nappy? ie 9 months or older, no sore bottoms and not including soiled nappies.

haribo
27-09-2010, 06:25 PM
voted 2-3 hours but it does depend on the child , some wet a lot more than others.....!

sarah707
27-09-2010, 06:27 PM
When it needs doing (hanging low or dirty).

Plus after lunch / before sleep and before any long time sitting such as in the buggy on school runs :D

jaja
27-09-2010, 06:31 PM
i said every two to three hours, depends on the child, i have one lo who gets changed every 1.5 to 2 hours as he get very wet, i tend to change before dinner, after if needed, before toddler groups and before going home are defo, but then if they need it in between too if they are dirty xxxxx

Playmate
27-09-2010, 06:53 PM
I personally feel if you use good nappies and don't give gallons of juice they shouldn't need changing more than 3-4 hours, however some drink more than others :D

The Juggler
27-09-2010, 06:55 PM
the two babies I currently have hardly wet their nappies at all. I change them before lunch, after sleep (one then goes at 4), the other has another change before hometime and obviously dirty ones in between.

Blackhorse
27-09-2010, 07:02 PM
I voted 3-4 hours

I check a lot more often and if it needs changing it will get done no matter how long it has been.

I would want to get them into a fresh nappy before we go out and about and before they go for a nap.
If the nappy hasn't been peed I wouldnt change it just for the sake of it.

Helen79
27-09-2010, 07:10 PM
I voted 3-4hours. I check more regularly than that though.
1 mindee is here 9-5 and usually has 3 nappy changes, 1 morning, 2 in the afternoon as his nappy is rarely wet.
other mindee is only here 9-2 so usually only needs 1 change.

Obviously I change more often if they've had a poo.

I don't have juice here though, when they've been to playgroup and had juice they always need changing more often.

Ripeberry
27-09-2010, 07:57 PM
At one stage mindee was doing 10 dirty nappies a day...just little bits, used to drive me mad as it was cloth nappies as well.

But since he's turned 2yrs old he only needs changing 3-4hrs and sometimes does not poo all day.

Chimps Childminding
27-09-2010, 09:20 PM
I would say 3-4 unless they had done a poo!! Nappies are so good now, plus I am sure parents don't get up in the night to change them every 2-3 hours (unless they need a feed in the night :rolleyes: ) so I am sure most are in them far longer than during the day!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Kaz1997
27-09-2010, 10:16 PM
I also voted 2-3 hours although I generally check every hour or so and change when necessary, or like Sarah said, change them before a nap or longish journey!!
Not had any sore bottoms in 10 years so I must be doing something right..

teacake2
27-09-2010, 10:31 PM
One I have needs changing every 1-2 hrs because of the amount of water he drinks, like a fish, another probably only 4-5 hrs and the third varies every day. I like to do it before lunch, sleep and when they wake up, and before we go out so they have a nice comfortable botty to sit on.
Teacake2

WibbleWobble
28-09-2010, 06:38 AM
i have one who drinks and poos like its going out of fashion...he is here for 3 hours and i think the record is 4 nappies in that time! The other ones ita about every two hours or so...depends really. I check at least every two hours.

i do a lot of bum bum times....the three of them line up when i get the mat out. They chant "bum bum" and take it in turns..made mrs ofsted laugh when she watched them. the three yr old tells me to "take the germs away" with the anti bac wipes and hand wipes.

mandy xxx

mamasheshe
28-09-2010, 06:50 AM
i usually do before the school run , after toddler group if needed, after lunch before nap, before school collection,

ORKSIE
28-09-2010, 06:53 AM
I put 2/3 but it varies.:thumbsup:

snufflepuff
28-09-2010, 07:14 AM
They all sleep at around 10.30am so I usually change them before that, then again after lunch so at about 1.30pm and again before they go home. (At the moment they leave at 3.30 so usually they don't need changing before that, if they stay later they get changed)

newandlearning
28-09-2010, 07:23 AM
wow.. some of you lovely ladies seem to change a lot of nappies in a day.. I wonder how you'd manage to look after the other mindees or get out the door :laughing: :laughing: ...

I'm assuming the more changes you do the quicker you get.. if all is well I think I can change a nappy in 30 secs these days.. I'm sure others are even quicker..:o

maryp0ppins
28-09-2010, 07:33 AM
I change when needed. If its getting soggy I change it..

I put a fresh nappy on for sleep times & a fresh one for home time if needed, I wouldn't just change it for the sake of it they cost to much money!!

ajs
28-09-2010, 07:37 AM
I personally feel if you use good nappies and don't give gallons of juice they shouldn't need changing more than 3-4 hours, however some drink more than others :D

i think this too so only change more if they actually need it.

my lilttle one at the mo is earing rubbish nappies so is being changed every 2 to 3 hours and they are hanging off him

Alibali
28-09-2010, 04:29 PM
This is interesting to read, I also think that with good nappies and no other circumstances 3-4 hourly is plenty, as you say I'm sure parents don't do that through the night. One of my Mums wants me to change 1-2 hourly, whether it's needed or not! I just think it's an awful lot of unneccessary nappies in the landfill!
I worked in a special care baby unit for years and the nappies were changed 3-4 hourly, sometimes through the night it was 6 hourly if the babies were being tube fed. These were vulnerable babies too, so I do feel it's extreme, but hey - ho if that's what Mum wants:D

sillysausage
28-09-2010, 07:06 PM
With my current mindees I am finding that unless they've got a dirty nappy then I change it straight after lunch and it lasts. Both mindees go though 2 full beakers of water (1 morning and 1 afternoon) and a 5oz bottle of milk each, but their nappies are never hanging. I would obviously change them more often if the nappy was full or it they had a sore bum.

Playmate
28-09-2010, 08:09 PM
This is interesting to read, I also think that with good nappies and no other circumstances 3-4 hourly is plenty, as you say I'm sure parents don't do that through the night. One of my Mums wants me to change 1-2 hourly, whether it's needed or not! I just think it's an awful lot of unneccessary nappies in the landfill!
I worked in a special care baby unit for years and the nappies were changed 3-4 hourly, sometimes through the night it was 6 hourly if the babies were being tube fed. These were vulnerable babies too, so I do feel it's extreme, but hey - ho if that's what Mum wants:D

Gosh that is extreme :eek: Back in the good old days when we had parent craft classes before having babies (and yes I'm showning my age!) we were taught to change babies nappy before or after a feed which was generally 3-4 hourly,unless of course they were dirty inbetween. In those days nappy's weren't so good either. This is what I have always done. I think my own often went longer when I was hard up :blush: I supply nappies in my daily cost and certainly would not be dong 5-10 changes in a day :rolleyes: