PDA

View Full Version : Christmas hols and parents....

Tippy Toes
27-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Hello

Parent just picked up little one and I gave letter advising of 2 days Im taking off at the end of October (Have given 4 weeks notice as per contract)

Parent then looked at me as if I was really puttin them out by taking time off and proceeded to ask m what i was taking off for xmas to which I replied I was not sure but probably the week after xmas.

Just wondering have you told your parents what time your having off for christmas? How soon before xmas do you tell them and what do you think is reasonable?

Thanks

mama2three
27-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Im putting a letter in with my invoices tomorrow asking them to let me know what they require over christmas , So that I can plan my own time off and so that as far as I am able I can meet everyones requirements . Then I will decide what holidays i am going to take - so they will have at least a couple of months notice as long as they reply quite quickly.

Curly Quavers
27-09-2010, 04:12 PM
I am taking 2 weeks off at Christmas and my customers know already.

I don't charge for my holidays and think I have given them enough notice to get them selves sorted.

lisal5632
27-09-2010, 04:17 PM
I put it in my contract that i take off from xmas eve until 2nd Jan (hols) then i only take 2 more wks throughout the yr, that way i still get full pay. :)

Chimps Childminding
27-09-2010, 04:36 PM
I always have the school holidays off over Christmas, and remind parents frequently throughout the year - still get some asking at the beginning of December though :rolleyes:

breezy
27-09-2010, 04:40 PM
just getting round to thinking about it now, although they all know I always have time off at Christmas I havent decided exact dates yet

Alibali
27-09-2010, 04:45 PM
I plan my holidays in January and let the parents know fir the full year then, any new starters know straight away, and for summer holidays I let them know as soon as I have booked, usually about August for the next July. I always take the same holidays as my children so it's pretty standard each year.

Additional extra days can be shorter notice, but I let them know as soon as I know.

peanuts
27-09-2010, 04:54 PM
in january each year i give parents a copy of when i am off during the year, with a note saying any other will be given plenty of notice if required.

onceinabluemoon
27-09-2010, 05:46 PM
This year my parents have known since August. Previous years I gave 28 days notice as per contract.

Chatterbox Childcare
27-09-2010, 05:55 PM
I am asking parents in my November invoice what they need me for. I can then make a decision as to I am not working :laughing:

sarah707
27-09-2010, 06:11 PM
I have a paragraph in my newsletter this month saying when I am working / off and noting local school holiday dates as they are all different.

I'm taking from the day before Christmas Eve to the Tuesday after New year :D

Hayley102
27-09-2010, 06:31 PM
I decided not to work the Christmas and Easter school holidays. I try to let my parents know as soon as I do when I am going away and normally book 3 weeks off in the summer (family holiday and opportunities to catch up with family and friends.)

green puppy
27-09-2010, 08:33 PM
I have it written into my contracts that I take 2 weeks off at christmas to coincide with school hols and 2 weeks at summer when I give 12 weeks notice. Parents know all this before they sign contracts.

carol cameron
28-09-2010, 06:54 AM
I do the same as you green puppy, two weeks in august, two weeks at xmas. I tell all my parents my holiday dates in January via a newsletter and STILL get "oh you're off soon aren't you" . This is usually said a week before my holiday starts and has been said to me two days before:)

Tina O
28-09-2010, 07:04 AM
I would normally work over Christmas but this year, as OH will be in Afgan :( for Christmas 2011, I am 'shutting doors' from 17th Dec to 3rd Jan. I will be sending out the newletter end of this month with the bills as I also have a couple of training dates in Nov I can't work. Always try and give as much notice as possible........

manjay
28-09-2010, 08:12 AM
I normally take from Christmas eve to New Year off but as my dh is away for Christmas this year I have decided to take the full 2 weeks. I also have a week at Easter and 3 weeks in the Summer. Parents are advised of these at the beginning of each year.

Mouse
28-09-2010, 08:35 AM
I take the school holidays off at Christmas & tell parents this when they come on their very first visit. It's also in my info pack.

In January I give them a list of holiday dates for the year & in Sept/Oct I remind them of the dates I will be off over Christmas. No excused for them not knowing :laughing:

Tippy Toes
28-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Thank you to all replies, v helpful :)