PDA

View Full Version : Taking mindees to Mcdonalds

maisiemog
27-09-2010, 12:58 PM
What are your thoughts on it? One of my mindees has their birthday next week and as him mum (single parent) cant get out of working she's asked me to take him and the others there for a happy meal and she'll pay for it.

I said I'd check with the other parents that they didn't mind. What are your opinions on it. I cant see the harm in it as an occasional treat for a special occasion like this.

Blackhorse
27-09-2010, 01:06 PM
In my opinion there is no problem with it.
I have never yet taken mindees to McDs' but to KFC once for the last day of school.
I told parents beforehand.
I cook homemade healthy meals all year round and occasionally I don't see an issue taking children to have fast food etc.

If they learn from a young age to eat healthy and know that it is ok to have the odd treat than I think it is much better for them than if you completely disallow these things and then they go craving them when they are older because they used to be forbidden....

enjoy your meal out with the kids!!

AliceK
27-09-2010, 01:09 PM
I remember about 3 yrs ago my childminder asking me the same thing about taking my DS as it was someones birthday and I had no problem with it at all. I haven't done it yet but I may do one day if it's a special occasion for someone. Depends on the parents as to if they agree though I guess.

xxxx

PixiePetal
27-09-2010, 01:12 PM
No problem in my house. Not that I or my own kids have ever liked McDs.

Love KFC though :blush: - have taken mindees there on odd occasions. All ok with parents.

ziggy
27-09-2010, 01:20 PM
I would also do it, once in a while as a special treat, if parents agree cant do any harm, surely.

i took 2 of my mindees a few weeks ago as we were toy shopping and it was only place i could think of that was clean, easy to get double buggy into, had changing facilities/high chairs and offered kiddy meals.

The Juggler
27-09-2010, 01:22 PM
I have done for birthdays etc. they all know (even my littlies) that macdonalds is not terribly good for you and we don't eat it often but I don't see any harm - everything in moderation:D

Bitsy Beans
27-09-2010, 01:23 PM
At first I thought you were asking about a more regular occurance than a birthday. I think as long as parents give permission then why not. It is a birthday after all :)

Daisy1956
27-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Agree with Ziggy so long as it ok with the parents, sometimes it is the only place accessable with a pram that is clean. Only take mine as a special treat but must say I love the milk shakes.

clio0602
27-09-2010, 01:26 PM
We went in the school holidays for a treat and parents had no problem with it. As long as its occasionally I can't see any problem at all! Mmmmm KFC :D

The Juggler
27-09-2010, 01:28 PM
yes, I would also check with parents first and for babies salt content is probably unacceptable so I would probably take something for the under 18m/2-s and reassure parents I'm doing so.

Chimps Childminding
27-09-2010, 01:36 PM
I know that all (except maybe 1) of my mindees, get taken to McDonalds by their parents, so don't have a problem there (have only been once or twice in total). I know the other mindee's mum probably wouldn't like it so would have to ask her and is she said no, would have to arrange it for a day when her lo isn't here :(

Alibali
27-09-2010, 01:53 PM
I know that all (except maybe 1) of my mindees, get taken to McDonalds by their parents, so don't have a problem there (have only been once or twice in total). I know the other mindee's mum probably wouldn't like it so would have to ask her and is she said no, would have to arrange it for a day when her lo isn't here :(

I go to the local burger king sometimes, as it has a soft play area too, I take a healthy snack for the little ones and buy a drink (milk or water) and some fruit for them.

Chell
27-09-2010, 05:55 PM
I've take the older children. I was inspected last week and it was written in the children's files. The inspector didn't comment at all.

Chatterbox Childcare
27-09-2010, 06:08 PM
We go to Mcdonalds, or a like, once a week. I have 3 little ones so I get 3 meals, 1 chips, 1 apple and 1 carrot.

mamasheshe
27-09-2010, 06:19 PM
personally i wouldn't but i wouldn't get permission from the parents i don't think :blush: they probably would for fish and chips i just think mac Donalds has got such a bad rep for healthy eating that i wouldn't:blush: don't think any of the children i mind bar maybe one has been to mac Donalds. i think my dds have been maybe once or twice with there dad. we did go out for smoothies to a smoothie bar for my dds 3rd birthday recently that was cool:)
sorry maccy ds not for me :blush:

Hayley102
27-09-2010, 06:26 PM
I don't see a problem with going and have taken older mindees in school holidays before. I have to agree with salt content being too high for little children so would probably take something for them and let them have a chip if it is an issue for them. I would also get parental permission first.

Lady Haha
27-09-2010, 06:52 PM
I take my schoolie mindees to Macdonalds once a week in school hols and asked all the parents first.

On my first inspection (well, only inspection!), I tried to impress the inspector by asking the children if they remembered where we had been the day before (as it was the museum and I thought that would go down well with the inspector). Straight away the shouted 'MACDONALDS'!!!!! which is where we went after the museum:blush: The inspector was fine with it though.

breezy
27-09-2010, 06:56 PM
I take them occasionally as a treat to one with a play area, non of the parents mind

Beetlejuice
27-09-2010, 07:58 PM
I've taken mindees with prior parents permission. I did ask a parent last year if I could take their child for his birthday and was told NO in no uncertain terms so I asked where I could take him and she was happy with Pizza Express so we did that instead. Was just mindee and my DD - they both had birthdays at Christmas so I took them as a treat.

juejue
27-09-2010, 08:06 PM
I don't see a problem with it. I take 3 mindees sometimes and get 3 fish fingers. 3 milks 2 fruit pack and share 1 chips between them. Parents are ok with it. So once in a blue moon should be fine .

venus89
27-09-2010, 08:09 PM
I've taken mindees with prior parents permission. I did ask a parent last year if I could take their child for his birthday and was told NO in no uncertain terms so I asked where I could take him and she was happy with Pizza Express so we did that instead. Was just mindee and my DD - they both had birthdays at Christmas so I took them as a treat.

:laughing: but aren't pizzas worse for you than burgers?!

Beetlejuice
27-09-2010, 08:15 PM
:laughing: but aren't pizzas worse for you than burgers?!

I did wonder that!! :D In their defence the kids did have pasta :laughing:

The Juggler
27-09-2010, 08:44 PM
I did wonder that!! :D In their defence the kids did have pasta :laughing:

good pizzas aren't bad. proper dough, nice veggies, fresh tomato sauce it's the salt in mcd's and bk that make them so bad:( as well as very little nutritional value

mamasheshe
28-09-2010, 06:02 AM
good pizzas aren't bad. proper dough, nice veggies, fresh tomato sauce it's the salt in mcd's and bk that make them so bad:( as well as very little nutritional value

pizza express isn't too bad there kids menu is pretty balanced apart from the ice cream :laughing:(but i think there is a sorbet type option) i love there baminomocha ? the frothy milk in little espresso cups soooooo cute