PDA

View Full Version : How much food?

mum2two
07-04-2008, 05:37 PM
How much do you give your mindees roughly a day...?

What with it being the holidays, I'm having the older ones constantly saying 'I'm hungry - what can I have?' I can't afford to keep giving them things all day - they don't get it at school, so they don't need it.

Currently they'll have a fruit bar, breadsticks or fruit mid morning ish (what they'd get at morning break). Then Sandwiches, cheese or chedders, & a yoghurt for lunch. Another snack during the afternoon, one of what's from mid morning, then tea at 5pm, if they're here. If not, they don't get anything else otherwise the ones that are having tea want it, and I have chaos.

Some days there's other things if we've made something, they can have it too, but I don't make food things with them every day.

It's the same as school days, one snack after school before tea, fruit or fruit bar. Sometimes I might give in & give them something else if I'm getting really stressed!

Am I being really mean? Or are the kids just saying it...?

Kelly x

Minnie Minx
07-04-2008, 05:39 PM
i think the kids are just saying it, they seem to be eating quite a lot in the day so they shouldn't be hungry. Continue being mean cause i would :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

xx

ps only joking about being mean lol

mum2two
07-04-2008, 05:42 PM
I didn't think I was being mean - but you know when sometimes you just constantly feel like you're saying 'No', and then I worry the kids will hate me!!!

I like to be liked!!! :p

Kelly x

Minnie Minx
07-04-2008, 05:44 PM
the kids won't hate you lol but you can't afford to keep giving them food (unless you charge extra for it). Maybe a note to parents asking them to bring some snacks for their kids as they seem to have worms :laughing: :laughing: joking about the worms but not about the extra food :)

xxx

Twinkles
07-04-2008, 05:44 PM
A good test to see if they're really hungry or just trying it on. Offer them an apple or a piece of bread and butter. Boring but cheap and nutritious.

sarah707
07-04-2008, 05:51 PM
I always offer toast to the after schoolers... if they're hungry they'll eat it like Twinkles says. But no, I think yours are taking the mickey! :D

angeldelight
07-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Some of my holiday kids are the same they are always hungry and would be happy to eat all day long

Think you are feeding them enough dont worry about it

Angel xx

Gherkin
08-04-2008, 07:25 AM
I honestly think the kids ask for more food in the hope that something treat like will appear (crisps/chocolate etc). I just tell them they need to wait til the next meal or snack time.

I am really strict with my lot - breakfast is cereal and milk or juice, snack can be anything from yogurt to a cracker and cheese or fruit, lucnk is sandwich or pitta and dips or wrap with filling followed by yogurt and/or fruit and then cooked dinner followed by fruit or yogurt depending what they have eaten in the day.

Had an older child (11) the other day who wanted to buy sweets from the shop with his money and he was told no as the others were not allowed sweets and it wouldn't be fair. He offered to share but I explained that they were just not allowed sweets.

Tatia
08-04-2008, 08:17 AM
If they are with me during the times, then they get breakfast, morning snack, lunch and afternoon or after-school snack. That's it except for fruit to tide them over if they're really starving.

Yeah, when they're asking for extra food they generally don't mean fruit, veg sticks or toast. They tend to mean crips and cakes! :D Funny how they can be "starving" for crisps but suddenly not so hungry when the alternative is somehting from the fruit bowl!:D