PDA

View Full Version : working over the xmas,

glitzygal
25-09-2010, 10:04 PM
I was just wondering what to do over christmas, how do you all work it out.
with the things like bank holidays, and what days you all work, i have recently changed how i do it, i used to have half pay, but changed it to full pay.
any ideas how to approach my parents?

The Juggler
25-09-2010, 10:24 PM
i get paid for bh's and holidays (3 weeks per year). Parents pay me a standard monthly fee each month so they pay me the same regardless of whether i'm on hols or not.

If I'm sick obviously I refund. So, I just let them know which week I am taking at xmas and my payment is the same.

Have you given notice you plan to charge for holidays you take from now. If so, just produce an invoice for all days in December if you are now taking hols as full pay.

If not yet, you'd need to give them a month's notice. I would be careful as if they signed a contract for 1/2:1/2 pay for your hols they might not be happy about the change.

Helcatt
25-09-2010, 10:57 PM
I generally take a week off, between xmas and new year, but last year had the whole of the school holidays off, which was great

When I started with the current parents, I hadn't been inspected and wasn't feeling too confident about myself, so decided not to charge for time I took off

I am undecided about whether to change their contracts when they come up for renewal, but any new mindees that I take on, I will start charging for holidays

Did you give them notice of the change in your ts&cs? IF so, just invoice as normal but including the recent changes

HX

PixiePetal
26-09-2010, 07:49 AM
I don't charge for my hols and take between christmas and new year off including bank hols no pay. I charge in full for their hols

georgie456
26-09-2010, 12:48 PM
I don't charge for my own hols. I take 2 weeks off for Christmas and just take it as my holiday.

green puppy
26-09-2010, 01:56 PM
I also take 2 weeks off at christmas at no charge, all parents know this before they sign contracts.

mushpea
26-09-2010, 04:06 PM
I dont charge bank holidays as I dont want to work them and in the new contracts if you charge you have to be avalible to work,,,
I take from 24th december till the day they go back to school off and dont charge for my holidays

jelly15
26-09-2010, 06:33 PM
I don't charge for my own hols. I take 2 weeks off for Christmas and just take it as my holiday.

Me too :thumbsup: .

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
26-09-2010, 06:49 PM
I am finishing on the 22 December and I am not back until the 4 January I think and I don't get paid when I am off but I never work christmas as it is my family time. x

Beetlejuice
26-09-2010, 06:58 PM
I don't charge for my hols and take between christmas and new year off including bank hols no pay. I charge in full for their hols

Exactly the same as Pixie. My DH's office closes between christmas and new year so I don't work either and we have family time. I've yet to find a parent who objects as most people are in a similar boat!

shmuck9681
30-09-2010, 09:41 PM
hi i dont charge for my holidays...and they get 4 weeks a year! i have also never charged for bank holidays...but 1 parent took the mick last bank holiday and had me work their 12 hour contracted weekly hours all on the bank holiday :( so as from 1st december i want to charge but dont know how to go about it as some are term time only (and they want to use me over xmas) and others are all year! In contract the ncma issued one, the box 'for available statutory public holidays, what rate will be charged' is blank...so could i just give them a letter now stating the with effect from the 1st december 2010 i will be charging double time for bank holidays if they want they can not come but will still have to pay single rate???

sorry for the long post but my head is pickled trying to work around this!!!

LeanneC
01-10-2010, 08:53 AM
Hi all

My understanding in my area is that the majority of people get paid BH as parents get paid for them and not have to work and they get holiday pay too so why shouldnt we? I charge half a fee for my holidays and BH and if they use me on BH I charge £45 a day but after I return from mat leave when my baby arrives I will be changing this and charging double fee for BH and charging full fee for all BH.

AliceK
01-10-2010, 09:19 AM

Same here. I don't charge for MY hols. This year I am stopping on 22nd Dec and going back on 4th Jan. I need some time to re-charge my batteries and spend with my own children.

xxxxxxx

babs
01-10-2010, 09:38 AM
i dont charge for my hols... finish on 24th dec but this is 1st holiday ive had this year so far last hol was last xmas.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

peanuts
01-10-2010, 09:40 AM
i normally take 2 weeks off at christmas to spend time with my family. 2 parents asked me yesterday what i was open at christmas as they only have christmas day off.

This is the first time in 10 years i have been asked to work during christmas/new year.

i have decided this year to take xmas eve off up to the 3rd january as i have my dads 70th in between as well as taking my lot to see hairspray with their gran.

if any of them moan i am going to revert back to my 2 weeks off. my holidays are 2 weeks in summer/ 2 weeks at christmas. That is all i normally take.

kindredspirits
01-10-2010, 10:11 AM
i'm taking the 17th 20th and 21st off this year - and nothing else :D I don't mind working over christmas as we are not celebrating it this year - although i do expect i'll have a few days paid holiday because i am sure most of my parents will be taking some time off.

Hebs
01-10-2010, 10:40 AM
I'm off christmas eve and christmas day working the rest,

:thumbsup:

ORKSIE
01-10-2010, 11:28 AM
I am off all over the Xmas hols (cant wait)
I dont charge for BH because i choose not to work them:)

I charge half for my hols:thumbsup:

Chimps Childminding
01-10-2010, 12:14 PM
I'm off for the two weeks schools are closed :clapping: I also don't want to work bank holidays so don't charge.

I don't charge for my holidays either as I know some parents use June (next door cm) when I am off (and vice versa) so they would end up having to pay twice for me having time off :rolleyes: can't see them liking that very much :eek:

crazyhazy
01-10-2010, 01:31 PM
I've not actually worked it out yet, one of my mindees is term time only so no worries there (which is ace cos she's my 7am start too), anothers mum does agency care work so I can see her having to work a lot so I'll prob make myself more available to her during the xmas period cos she is the same age as my daughter so fits in well. Not sure about my other schoolie, doubt she'll come as mum is at uni so will be off and my baby mindee I don't know yet.

mum2two
01-10-2010, 01:38 PM
I don't charge it. I really don't want to work it, so work up til xmas eve (unless I can wriggle out of it...) then don't go back til 2nd Jan, or first working day of the new year!

Kids get to play with all their new stuff, I get time to sort the house out & find homes for all the new stuff, and just find it easier & more guilt free that I don't charge between xmas & new year!

xx

shmuck9681
02-10-2010, 12:46 AM
So am I able to just provide parents with a letter stating the change as it's not In the contracts as long as I give a months notice???

Sorry to pester but could really do with the help!

mama2three
02-10-2010, 08:10 AM
As long as you give notice then you can make the changes.

When are your contracts up for review? I would be more likely to leave it until then tbh..

If you want to go ahead I find a letter using the phrase 'to bring myself in line with current childminding practice' or similar is quite useful.