PDA

View Full Version : 3 under 2s - am I mad?

buzzy bee
24-09-2010, 07:51 PM
Hi everyone

Sorry if this posts twice... my internet just crashed as I hit 'submit'.

I'm a new childminder and I'm just starting to get enquiries. I have my own 8 month old and have has 2 enquiries, 1 for a 16 month old and one for a 13 month old. They can't be flexible on days, so it would mean for 2 mornings I'd have all 3 little ones together...

I couldn't really go out with them, so was thinking I'd just stay in those mornings and do indoor play... is this okay with Ofsted?

Thanks!

francinejayne
24-09-2010, 08:16 PM
I have a 2 year old, 12 month old and 9 month old 3 days a week. I do go out as I have a triple pram, however even if you can't get out there's always the garden!

I was very nervous before I started to have all 3 and I wondered if I'd taken too much on, however it's great! i have to be VERY organised and plan ahead (eg if there's a quiet minute I prepare lunch, etc) and there are times when it gets a bit fraught, but 90% of the time it's great and I love it!!!

Good luck!

beckyteddy
24-09-2010, 08:26 PM
I think if it was for very long sessions or all day, every day then yes I would say you were mad! But for just 2 short sessions each week I think you should be fine. As long as they can get outside in the garden for fresh air as needed then I don't think Ofsted would have an issue with you not going out away from the house.

Lots of play and learning can be done from home...as my husband pointed out when I was struggling to make it out of the house on time one day "why do you bother going out we've got a house full of toys and a garden kitted out like a play-park!" It's often for my benefit that we venture out, the kids have to be dragged away sometimes but I'd go stir-crazy if I never left the house!

I've meandered away from the point there a bit havn't I?...I think you'll be fine, good luck with the enquiries x

snufflepuff
24-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Since June I have had 3 one year olds. They are now 19 months (my son) 20 months and 16 months. To start with we didn't go much further than the back garden. Now they are older we can get out more- I use a buggy board on the back of a double buggy and we pop to the park round the corner or just go for a walk. We only go futher than that if I have someone with me to help.
It's good fun, I love that they all get on very well and play nicely, and they have similar interests too. They usually all sleep at the same time too :clapping:

ETA I currently only have all 3 here one day a week, sometimes two days. If it was all week I think it would be a bit too much.

jaja
24-09-2010, 08:37 PM
I have 3 under 5 on 3 days a week, a 5 week old, 19 month and 20 month adn love it, the kids like playing together and at the min they get on really well, however, one day a week i increased my numbers with my assistant ( only works one day a week) so we have 5 under 22 months, its fun, we tend to stay in do messy play, play in the garden and we have a very very rare 10 mins when they are all asleep, its great there are 3 children with 3 months difference in age and they are soo different yet so much fun, although after a full day we are tired, lol xxx

buzzy bee
24-09-2010, 08:38 PM
Thanks everyone!

You've all put my mind at rest.

snufflepuff... I thought about a buggy board but think the 16 month old might be a bit too young... what do you think?

maybe I should try it...

Ohh I'm excited about them now :jump for joy:

sweets
24-09-2010, 08:39 PM
i have 3 under 2's most days. i prefer having them all similar ages as its easy to plan activities. i have good double buggy with a buggy board so getting out and about is ok. and the bonus is they all sleep for 90 mins together after lunch every day.

buzzy bee
24-09-2010, 08:48 PM
Thanks everyone!

You've made me feel much more relaxed about it... I'm excited now!

I had thought about a buggy board but I thought 16 months might be a bit young... but maybe I should try it.

Thanks!

maisiemog
25-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Until recently I used to have 3 under 2's for two full days a week and it was fine!!! I only have a double but I did manage to get out and always had the garden as a standby!!

I actually found it quite easy cos although you are constantly on the go and your house will look like a bombsite they used to nap at the same time so I would have 2 hours break to clean, do paperwork and actually have a cup of tea!

Go for it!!! In a few months time you'll be wondering why you were panicing about it!

angiemog
25-09-2010, 02:59 PM
I had an 8 month old, 1 year old and 13 months for 4 full days. One year on and I still them have but of course they are a year older. It was hard worker but they grow up so quick in a couple of months the 16 month old will be walking better so you would be able to go out for short walks. I say go for it. Stay at home until you feel more confident. I have driven to the park/toddlers used a double buggy and a wrist strap. You will be fine.
Good Luck x

And now I have 4 under 5s, the oldest is 27months youngest 18 months 3 full days, amd 3 on the other 2 days.:eek: They all play together, keep each other company and have similar routines. I love it but am exhausted by the end of the end of the day. x

RainbowBright
25-09-2010, 03:03 PM
I love them at this age - just developing a personality of their own and so inquisitive :)

kindredspirits
25-09-2010, 03:06 PM
I have had 4 under 2 before (with a variation) - ATM I care for a 2 year old, 13 mo, 15 mo and 3 year old

Ali56
25-09-2010, 03:35 PM
I had 3 under 2's(14-20m) a while ago and I loved it! All boys too! We only went out very locally with the double buggy and reins. I had them all 3 mornings a week, like someone above said-so long as you can use the garden and are organised you'll be fine, I found it alot of fun:clapping: :clapping:

mrs lilly
25-09-2010, 05:17 PM
I have 1 x 6 month old, 1 x 12 month old and 1 x 17 month old 5 days a week from 8 - 4pm (although thankfully I only work term time) but it really takes organisation to get out of the house and my pram is massive!! Works for me though and my day flys by!

Monkey26
25-09-2010, 06:56 PM
If you think you might be mad for taking on 3 under 2's then i have totally lost the plot... On a Monday i have 4 girls all aged 1!!!! (extended ratio as two are twins!)
It can be a bit crazy some weeks but there are only 10 months between the youngest girl to the eldest, with twins in the middle, so they all get on really well :) The eldest girl - who is 2 in November - has been walking since she was 11months old so has coped very well with walking/buggy board riding, and now the twins are much more stable on their feet i am hoping to ditch the triple buggy with buggy board soon for just the double with buggy board!! Wahooo!! Good luck :D xx

buzzy bee
26-09-2010, 08:39 PM
oh that's great, thanks everyone! :)

i think the thing i was most concerned about was that ofsted might disapprove, but doesn't sound like it from what you've all said.

i've got them all on tuesday for the first time and i'm planning to make goop - wish me luck!

oh yeah, they're all boys too so i'm really looking forward to seeing their little friendship develop! can also imagine i'll have to break up a few fights :laughing: