PDA

View Full Version : Term time only work

Clever Clogs
07-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Hi there

I've just had a call from a mum that would like her son minded while she works in an after school group. It would be 5 days a week (4 at 4 hours and one at 6.5). She asked if I would charge her for during the holidays when she is not at work as another childminder had done. I said no but now just wondering if I should be? She said she would prob need to work 2 weeks of the summer hols so not sure what I should have done. Do I tell her those two weeks I prob wouldn't be able to have him if someone else wants full hol cover or should i ask her to pay a retainer to keep the place (or which I don't think she'll be happy about?). Not sure what to do, she's coming to see me on Thurs.

And while I've been typing this had another call to take on a wee girl 1.5 Mon - Fri afternoons (had to say no cause I've already got 2 in buggies!) This is getting complicated now - I'm scared not to take on afternoon only in case I don't get any full timers but then prob take on part time and then get full time phone calls - why is nothing every straightforward????

Tracey

Noodles
07-04-2008, 04:03 PM
I would personally charge a retainer for the weeks that she does not require care. I charge half fees for this .
Good to see you are getting calls and filling your spaces :)

Minnie Minx
07-04-2008, 04:11 PM
i'm glad you got an answer, i did read and run as i couldn't help you :blush: sorry

xxx

Blaze
07-04-2008, 04:18 PM
I would personally charge a retainer for the weeks that she does not require care. I charge half fees for this .
Good to see you are getting calls and filling your spaces :)

I do the same...but if you charge a retainer then the parent can request you work as long as they give reasonable notice.
Blaze:)

sarah707
07-04-2008, 06:16 PM
I don't want extras in the holidays if I can help it as I like it being quieter with my own children, so I don't charge retainers. I just accept that some need full time and some need term-time only and budget so I can cope :D

crazybones
07-04-2008, 06:22 PM
I had a term time only contract and charged half during the hols. Mums choice not mine as I wasnt long minding and wasnt sure what to do and just wanted the contract. She was actually one of the best mums I have ever had and she still comes with little S to see us now. Its quite funny because S asks me questions like "When I was your baby did I do ....?" I had her from 6 weeks old till she turned 4 and occasionally have her on inset days and have done a couple of late favours for her on parents evenings. I also have a single parent mum who is just getting on her feet so I dont charge her for school hols but I only have him after school one day a week.

Rasharoon
07-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Hi
I have sisters which are term time only and up until recently, charged half fee for all the school holidays. Reason I don't charge now is that I've returned to work during the day (not childminding) so can't charge. When I explained to Mum that I was returning to work her face dropped as she didn't want to lose me. When I explained she no longer had to pay me holidays - she asked if I was sure!!! Anyhow, I would charge a retainer fee of half normal fees.
Good luck.

breezy
07-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Hi, I don't charge a retainer as I prefer quieter hols too, however a friend of mine charges half fees for a retainer, it's a personal choice, but make sure it's all down in your contract.
good luck

manjay
07-04-2008, 09:21 PM
I charge half fee as most of my families are teachers. I would earn nothing over school hols if I didn't

amanda xx

Clever Clogs
08-04-2008, 06:20 AM
Thanks for this

Will get the thinking cap on to maybe reconsider. Sounds good though having some quietish time with family during hols so may not charge after all - don't know yet.

Thanks again
Tracey

angeldelight
08-04-2008, 06:32 AM
I would do this but would charge her a retainer for those 2 weeks

She obviously thinks she should be paying it because why did she mention it in the first place ?

I have a child that just comes term time but mom works one week of the holidays - she just pays me for it straight off so no problem

I also have term time children and holiday children I do not charge a retainer for those spare weeks though to keep the place open because it evens it self out

But in this case she is expecting you to have the child for 2 weeks so yes of course a retainer is needed

Good luck in whatever you decide

Angel xx

miffy
08-04-2008, 06:47 AM
For those that don't want holiday care at all (teachers etc) I charge a very small retainer. Like Angel I have some children who only come to me in the holidays so their money makes up the difference.

It really does depend what you want to do - I would check with the mum whether she has to provide cover for other staff's sickness or holidays in which case would she need you to have her children during the other weeks of the holidays because if so I would charge her a retainer

miffy xx

Clever Clogs
08-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Thanks for all the advice

Think I will tell her if she doesn't want me at all during hols then there will be no charge but if she needs that space for two weeks then yes she will have to pay me a retainer.

Thanks guys
Tracey

angeldelight
08-04-2008, 08:17 AM
That is a good idea Tracey and it is what I would do

Good luck

Angel xx