PDA

View Full Version : Under 18 picking up from me

Happy Bunny
24-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Been asked by a prospective parent if i could look after her 2 children after school. She then said they would be picked up by their sibling who is 14, when she finished school and the sibling would take them home.
Said to parent that i was unsure as to the ruling on a 14 year old picking up from me, she replied "well if i write a letter stating this it covers you doesn't it"

But does it though?
Any help or information appreciated.

breezy
24-09-2010, 03:18 PM
not sure how you stand on this, not sure if its a good idea either. How old are the children you look after? How long would the 14 year old be having them for? It all depends on how sensible they are, my 13 year old is sensible, but I dont know if I'd give him sole responsibility of younger kids.
As far as you're concerned as a childminder you would definately need written permission that states responsibility ends when you hand over to 14 year old, if you're allowed to do it at all!
Sorry not much help am I ? Hopefully someone will know!

Chatterbox Childcare
24-09-2010, 03:20 PM
I think that this is a safeguarding issue and I would talk to Ofsted and NCMA have a Safeguarding department if you are a member.

sillysausage
24-09-2010, 04:36 PM
I would check with ofsted and NCMA myself, but I do know schools will allow older siblings to collect children from school so why not from a childminder. Thankfully it's not something I've ever had to do.

charlie potato
24-09-2010, 04:40 PM
We've had a school newsletter home tonight that has addressed the issue of ppl picking the kids up. They have said that any child in foundation and ks1 (up to age of 7) are only able to be picked up by someone over the age of 16 for safety reasons.
hope this helps. xx

nokidshere
24-09-2010, 04:43 PM
I state on my contract that a child will not be allowed to leave my house with anyone under 18.

sarah707
24-09-2010, 04:45 PM
There is no legal age limit, either upper or lower, so it is up to you and what your policies say.

If the mother wants it to happen, probably to save her money, then if you say no I imagine others will say yes.

You could offer her a session fee until say 6pm so she does not feel she has to rush having the children collected.

Hth :D

christine e
24-09-2010, 07:31 PM
I was told (albeit many years ago) not to allow anyone under 16 to collect a child. If you are a member of NCMA I would contact them for advice.

Cx

onceinabluemoon
24-09-2010, 08:41 PM
I was told on my ICP and /or pre reg not to ever let an under 16 collect, if anything goes wrong it's your word against theirs...

Once, I was told by a parent that her 13 or 14 year old dd would collect her youngest child (my mindee) and refused point blank to allow that to happen. Two years later mindee is still here (as a mindee I mean, she does go home every night, lol!), older sibling has never picked up and there have never been any bad feelings about my refusal (everybody is different though).

Legally, you may be responsible for the mindee until older sibling has handed over to parent so I'd be very careful and ensure you get proper legal advice. x

Happy Bunny
24-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Thanks for all the advice, think i will contact Ofsted.
Must admit i am not comfortable about this at all and did voice my concerns to parent.

nokidshere
25-09-2010, 09:05 AM
If you aren't comfortable about it then don't allow it. Simple.

Alibali
25-09-2010, 12:45 PM
I state on my contract that a child will not be allowed to leave my house with anyone under 18.

What if the parent is under 18? One of my Mums was only 17, don't think she'd have been impressed with being told she couldn't collect her dd:)

I think the age 16 year is reasonable, however myy dd watched her siblings when she was 14 for an hour or two.

Bananabrain
25-09-2010, 03:10 PM
I have this situation {11 yr old} being picked up by 14yr old. I have it in writing and have also recently added an independent arrival consent as child is doing sports after school and then coming to mine.
This child also goes to ASC a couple of times a week and I know the lady that runs it very well. They also allow the 14yr old to pick up{despite saying that there was no way she would let him go with anyone under 16 originally}
I did speak to Ofsted but as many of you know there are no legal guidelines.
Neither of us are happy, trouble is, dad is on his own and there simply aren't any other alternatives. He doesn't get home 'til very late.
If these children were mature, streetwise and sensible then I'd be much more comfortable. But what can I do?
I have had this child until 7.30 many times and have also offered to have him when he was poorly {I couldn't bear the thought of a ten yr old at home on his own when he was so ill, and knew that dad would have left him}
But I have to draw the line somewhere! My son has said he wishes C could live with us! If only life were so simple.

nokidshere
27-09-2010, 10:39 AM
What if the parent is under 18? One of my Mums was only 17, don't think she'd have been impressed with being told she couldn't collect her dd:)

I think the age 16 year is reasonable, however myy dd watched her siblings when she was 14 for an hour or two.

If the parent was also a child then I obviously would not have an issue with that - well not one that I would voice out loud ;)

samkeddy
27-09-2010, 12:33 PM
I care for a 2yr old, that i know mum often leaves with her 15yr old.
When mum asked if im ok with him collecting i was unsure and spoke to my LA who adv that as long as she has requested it to be allowed in writing then theres no prob. ( its only been a couple of times and for less that an hr while mum on driving lessons)
He's a lovely boy, very mature and very good with his sister since meeting him i have no concerns, hope this helps x