PDA

View Full Version : Do parents really care about the paperwork?

catswhiskers
23-09-2010, 09:57 PM
I give my three families a folder every few months to comment on/look at the daily diary, observations, photos, artwork etc. Put a comment sheet in.

Five weeks ago gave them all the folders and still waiting for two back. Asked one could she bring folder back today (this was last night) and she replied "oh, do we still have it"? Brought it back this morning. Tonight (after a long day minding and been on a course from 7-9pm) looked at the back only to find there were no comments at all!

This has happend a few times with some of the parents and I just feel like I'm unappreciated or that parents just don't care what paperwork we do! Have decided to cut right back and if Ofsted have anything to say about it then so be it!

Chatterbox Childcare
23-09-2010, 09:58 PM
I don't think they give a rats a...s

huggableshelly
23-09-2010, 10:11 PM
I only sent 1 folder home, the others were viewed in my home shared with mindees parents and me, omments sheets were only signed no comments made aparat from the one that was sent home, she would write loads and enjoyed looking through the pics and shared with grandparents too. mom even added pics from home, it was the best LJ in the world (my opinion only)

charleyfarley
23-09-2010, 11:06 PM

Couldn't have put it better myself :D

Takes me all my time to find out if I have to take them to school let alone get them to write it down. :panic:

Ofsted told me at my inspection '' You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink'' and how true is that!!!!

Carol xx

porky1979
24-09-2010, 06:01 AM
I have one family who really appreciate what i do for their child and I always get lovely comments from them and ideas on what to do next, another family on the other hand don't seem to bothered, lo is 2 and the feedback I got from the last folder was that I needed to work on alphabet and numbers, thats it, nothing about the pics and art that were in there. It also took about 6 weeks to get the file back.
I just think some parents don't realise our efforts.
I do wonder too sometimes if I should cut back on the paperwork I do. :(

jumpinjen
24-09-2010, 06:23 AM
I also think that some parents are ridiculously busy (the reason for them sending their child to a minder in the first place for many of them!!) One of my families always comment, sned things in, take time to participate etc, and the other I always have to ask many time for things back, never join in with things etc...... BUT they really do care and they have said how happy they are and that they credit me with much of the progress that their daughter is making. It was a 'throwaway' comment made one evening at pick up but just showed to me that they do care (and they really care about their children too). At the end of the day they pay us to care for their child..... we shouldn't require pats on the back about what a great job we do.... it's our job and as we are self-employed we should pat ourselves on the back (or come on here!!)

jen x

funfunfun
24-09-2010, 06:44 AM
I think they should take an interest but one of my parents didint read the newsletter grrrrrrrr

My other parents are quite good , they take an interest but they all work part time and have days to spare etc in the week . Maybe is just that some parents are mega busy still it would be nice for them to care

Dont think they do though

onceinabluemoon
24-09-2010, 07:03 AM
I agree somewhat with jumpingjen. It's not the parents who want us to do all this darned paperwork, its ofsted/the government so if parents don't take any interest we cant really blame them...

I never send the kiddies' folders home, parent know they are here and available at any time, none of them have ever asked to see them. They all love their children and are interested in them though. I make a point of chatting with parents every day at pick up and the younger children have journals

You could always just make a 'form' with I a load of gabble and then "I agree my chidminder has kept me up to date with my childs progress and am happy/am not happy with their progress" or something on. Then all they have to do is tick a box and maybe put any comments if they;re not happy...

The Juggler
24-09-2010, 07:06 AM
half mine love it - half don't care:rolleyes:

PixiePetal
24-09-2010, 07:17 AM
not a jot!

They are more concerned that their children are well cared for and happy. Everything else falls into place :thumbsup:

I get cards at Christmas saying 'thank you for everything you do' and 'child loves coming to you' etc, send photos home every now and then and I ask for references when they leave which have made me cry :blush: Everything else they prefer to be verbal.

My daily notebook - nappy changes, meals and what we have done (brief to say the least!) is the only thing some parents want. This is also a 2 way communication so they can write extra hours, if mindee had a bad night etc.

Forget the rest.

Millenium
24-09-2010, 07:18 AM
Most of my parents are quite keen on the paperwork and I actively encourage that but I think it is as much to do with the professions they are in and the fact they are regularly reading reports etc.

Two of my families have a very active diary system - it is an A4 book and it is not uncommon for the child to arrive with at least half a page of notes and information about what the child has been up to in the last couple of days.

Whilst we have to perform to Ofsted's standards, for some parents it will be too much and maybe for some, too little. I had one parent who was expecting something akin to a school report every month!

It is after all what works best with your parents.

Alibali
24-09-2010, 08:02 AM
My lot just say, oh something else for the recycle!

Chimps Childminding
24-09-2010, 08:14 AM
Mine love looking thro the LJ's (I send them home every term or so), but only one or two ever write any comments. And one parent has said she has absolutely no interest in the LJ's, though hopefully she will be pleased when she sees it and realises its mostly photos of her lo having fun :D

Had a new baby start in August and have been doing her daily diary religiously, feeds, changes, whats she has been doing, odd photo - absolutely nothing back from parent even though there is a note at the front asking them to write in it anything they think I need to know ie sleepless night, not eating well etc. - just in case its busy at drop off/pick up and I forget to tell them something - don't really think it ever gets taken out of her bag :(

littlestar
24-09-2010, 08:42 AM
i have found that none really care whilst the child is in your care but several parents when have left my setting have demanded to see what they have been paying for! in the past 3 months since parents have found out im having a baby i have had 2 mindee's leave to go to nursery's they went weird because they feel a pregnent lady cant look after their children whilst pregnant :angry: and the day given notice they have demanded there childs folders and all relevent paperwork but these parents have never even glanced at them before when given them i would do it for my own sake and its good to send them off with when they do move on :)

Heaven Scent
24-09-2010, 08:48 AM

Here Here - I know they don't because all of mine have told me so!!!!

Helen79
24-09-2010, 09:49 AM
as a parent, when dd was in nursery, I really wasn't bothered about the paperwork either. I loved seeing the photos that they'd taken but tbh really didn't read what they'd written :blush:
It's not that I don't care what she did at nursery but I knew she was happy, well looked after and did lots of fun activities so I really didn't need it writing down.

Now she's older I've got her learning journal in her memory box and it's lovely to have a record of her pre-school years so hopefully all the parents will appreciate all our hard work eventually.

Bananabrain
24-09-2010, 11:02 AM

:ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1: You took the words right outa my mouth Debbie

Ripeberry
24-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Parents do prefer photos so most of my obs are photo based :)

catswhiskers
24-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Glad I'm not the only one it's happening to then!

I know some parents are mega-busy but how long does it take to jot down a couple of sentences?

Also, I've got my inspection due around November so just wanted to show Ofsted that I'm working in partnership with parents blah blah. They will look at these blank pages and think I'm not doing that.